Downtown Disney to introduce designated smoking areas this week

DisneyDebRob

Non smoker here but in favor of having places for smokers to light up. It's their right so let them. What I never understood is where Disney locates them. There are a million little hideaways in all 4 parks and Downtown Disney yet they seem to be right in heavy foot traffic areas. The one on the pathway next to the castle comes quickly to mind. Just put them out of the way and it works for everyone.
As for Downtown Disney, next to the stroller rentals? I think that explains my point perfectly.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I've gone many years as a smoker (and one where I had mostly, but not entirely, quit, last year) and DTD has always had marked smoking areas (at least since 2010).

A non-smoker may not have noticed them, but they were there. I just always assumed DTD was like the parks in that respect.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Looking at a map, though, I guess they weren't marked on the map. But, they were certainly there with little signs and the "smokers pole".

Downtown-Disney-Map-2.jpg

Kman101

As both a smoker/non-smoker/smoker, etc. lol, I agree with the fact that the smoking areas in the parks are way too in your face. Like the one as you walk down the path in Fantasyland at the MK near the castle. It's literally right on the walkway. Seriously? Same thing for the one in Storybook Circus. The one in Tomorrowland is actually tucked away but still visible, so it's better. And the one in Adventureland across from Aloha Island and next to the Swiss Treehouse is still sort of in your face. Not very good places IMO.

ToTBellHop

Make the parks non-smoking...or turn the following into smoking areas:

MK: Country Bear Jamboree
EC: Captain EO
HS: Sounds Dangerous!
AK: Dino-Rama

Either option would fix the issue for me.

MissM

And the one in Adventureland across from Aloha Island and next to the Swiss Treehouse is still sort of in your face. Not very good places IMO.
The one in Adventureland was finally moved. When I was there last month, the planter seating area across from Aloha Isle was beautifully, FINALLY smoke free. People were able to actually SIT and eat their ice cream in peace.

The new Adventureland smoking area is just as you come off the bridge leading to the backside of Liberty Square:
adventureland.jpg

I don't know when the change happened, but it's nice that the seating has been freed up for Dole Whip buyers to use without smoke.

midwest_mice

I am a non-smoker and I do agree with some of the spots being in heavy foot traffic. The one near the castle on the West side of it is the one that comes to mind. If the castle stage show is going on, that's the quickest way to get to Fantasyland.
I am not against smokers, but that spot should be moved a little out of the way.

Anotherfaceinthecrowd

I have been waiting for this to kick in and I do agree with it even as a smoker, I think even in the parks there's lots of spots to smoke in but I do believe it will be very hard to police it in DTD, I mean you still see people walking around the parks having a sneaky ciggerette

Anotherfaceinthecrowd

Make the parks non-smoking...or turn the following into smoking areas:

MK: Country Bear Jamboree
EC: Captain EO
HS: Sounds Dangerous!
AK: Dino-Rama

Either option would fix the issue for me.
I don't think they will ever make the parks smoke free as they don't want people leaving the parks, if their leaving they ain't spending

Kman101

The one in Adventureland was finally moved. When I was there last month, the planter seating area across from Aloha Isle was beautifully, FINALLY smoke free. People were able to actually SIT and eat their ice cream in peace.

The new Adventureland smoking area is just as you come off the bridge leading to the backside of Liberty Square:
adventureland.jpg

I don't know when the change happened, but it's nice that the seating has been freed up for Dole Whip buyers to use without smoke.

Finally!! I hated that they had the smoking area there.

Kman101

I guess as both a smoker and a non-smoker I'm more conscientious to those around me, I wouldn't even THINK to walk around Downtown Disney holding a lit cigarette. And if you can't go even a few hours in the park without a light ...

Kman101

I am a non-smoker and I do agree with some of the spots being in heavy foot traffic. The one near the castle on the West side of it is the one that comes to mind. If the castle stage show is going on, that's the quickest way to get to Fantasyland.
I am not against smokers, but that spot should be moved a little out of the way.

That spot is one of the worst

kylewr86

I am surprised that they are just now making this change but enforcement will not be as hard at DD. There are tons of Sheriffs all over DD especially by the Bars. I don't know Florida law for sure but Ohio has a ban by any business which states no one can smoke within a 100 feet of a door to any place of business. They could enforce that type of ban and write tickets. Who is gonna fight it when they are on vacation, you would have to go to court and they know most wouldn't.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom