Do you think an Adult only resort will ever happen?

BuzzKillington

Then again they did close pleasure island which appeared to be profitable.

Yeah, I wonder why? Just look at what the "adults" have done to F&W on a Friday and Saturday night and you will know why Disney shut it down. I myself have witness many individual acts of perversion SO profound and disgusting that decorum prohibits listing them here.

roj2323

Original Poster
I think my post was misread. I fully expect to deal with kids at the parks and that's cool, it's part of the experience, but kids running up and down the halls, pounding on the walls and other concessions made at the resorts to accommodate child safety, eating habits and other needs kinda limits the relaxing qualities. I just think it would be nice to grab a drink and sit in a quiet pool until 3 am if I'd like then get a restful sleep free of rude awakenings. I don't expect nude sunbathing or "adult" parties. (I can go to tampa for that.) Character breakfasts would be cool though.

Figaro928

While maybe they wouldn't build an entire resort for just adults, it would make tons of sense to make an entire wing of a resort an adult only class. Give an entire wing 1 king size bed and mark off the pool in that area as "adult only" Maybe do this in one of the moderate resorts (but obviously have a surcharge for it:rolleyes:).

Something along the lines of what Atlantis does... just have an adult only section as part of a massive resort.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Yeah, I wonder why? Just look at what the "adults" have done to F&W on a Friday and Saturday night and you will know why Disney shut it down. I myself have witness many individual acts of perversion SO profound and disgusting that decorum prohibits listing them here.
But threatening to kneecap people is acceptable? I suppose it's the perversion of other people that's an affront to your delicate sensibilities....

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Sorry about that. I was young and stupid...and drunk:cool:

This is why I think the concept really only works as a boutique, upscale hotel. Disney has no desire to build a "spring break" resort with pool parties, wild night clubs and the "individual acts of perversion" that come with it. There is no shot they build a hedonism type resort for adults to go to party. It really has no place at WDW. However, there could be a place for an upscale, adults only hotel. Something that appeals to older couples too, not just the 18 to 25 crowd. I think a hotel like @roj2323 described above with an adult pool where you can grab a drink and relax and an adult lounge without kids is possible. I'm thinking more like a classy, sophisticated hotel instead of a drunk fest with a bunch of older kids partying all night long.

To get back to the original question of if it will ever happen...not likely. The only way I see it happening is if someone else foots the bill. Disney isn't taking a chance on something like this. They don't want to alienate their target demographic.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Sorry about that. I was young and stupid...and drunk:cool:

This is why I think the concept really only works as a boutique, upscale hotel. Disney has no desire to build a "spring break" resort with pool parties, wild night clubs and the "individual acts of perversion" that come with it. There is no shot they build a hedonism type resort for adults to go to party. It really has no place at WDW. However, there could be a place for an upscale, adults only hotel. Something that appeals to older couples too, not just the 18 to 25 crowd. I think a hotel like @roj2323 described above with an adult pool where you can grab a drink and relax and an adult lounge without kids is possible. I'm thinking more like a classy, sophisticated hotel instead of a drunk fest with a bunch of older kids partying all night long.

To get back to the original question of if it will ever happen...not likely. The only way I see it happening is if someone else foots the bill. Disney isn't taking a chance on something like this. They don't want to alienate their target demographic.
Aren't the swan and fish hotel filling the adult motif?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Slightly off topic: with the new restaurants at Disney Springs it looks like there will be at least an attempt at some form of enhanced nightlife. I believe that the Boathouse will have 3 bars, live entertainment and be open until 2am. The Hangar is basically a bar and in between those 2 is an outdoor stage/amphitheater which I assume will have live entertainment. Save Pleasure Island had reported a rumor earlier that the new tenants at The landing section of Disney Springs (formerly PI) would all be required to remain open until 2am. Raglan and HOB will still be in the mix as well. All signs point towards a return to some form of nightlife at Disney Springs.

My question is should they make some or all of these venues "adult only" after a certain time. I think it's the perfect compromise. People with kids want a place they can eat, have a few drinks and be entertained with their kids in tow. People without kids want a place they can unwind with a few drinks and not have to worry about tripping over a stroller. Rather than build some of each location having restaurant/bars that can serve both purposes makes more sense. These places will never be like the full scale clubs that existed at PI, but I do think they could be a nice option for adults. I just don't think that having kids running around these places late night (say after 10PM) is going to be good for the vibe or the environment. Nothing is a bigger buzz kill than a crying kid (trust me I know from experience;)).

FutureCEO

I think my post was misread. I fully expect to deal with kids at the parks and that's cool, it's part of the experience, but kids running up and down the halls, pounding on the walls and other concessions made at the resorts to accommodate child safety, eating habits and other needs kinda limits the relaxing qualities. I just think it would be nice to grab a drink and sit in a quiet pool until 3 am if I'd like then get a restful sleep free of rude awakenings. I don't expect nude sunbathing or "adult" parties. (I can go to tampa for that.) Character breakfasts would be cool though.

You call that bad parenting

Figaro928

Disney's new hottest resort is... "Leave Us Alone, Kid"

tumblr_mjgwn2KOpw1qj28qwo3_250.gif

George Lucas on a Bench

They tried the more adult stuff years ago. Pleasure Island, EPCOT Center, Touchstone Pictures, MGM-Studios, Alien Encounter etc. While it was successful, the screaming babies and little princesses inevitably won and now everything is marketed towards babies.

MarkTwain

I think it could be interesting. An adult resort doesn't have to be Vegasy or "adult" (R-rated), but there are many guests that go without children and perhaps don't care about being in an environment that caters to kids. Disney Cruise Line has many adults-only areas on all of their ships, and the emphasis is usually more on quiet or sophisticated. Make the resort classy, with a large spa, a few bars, and an emphasis on a "quiet pool" experience (or even an elegant V&A-style restaurant), and I could see it being a huge hit with a lot of guests.

I think if Disney ever got around to opening another Pleasure Island (and I think they could, I bet it'd be much more successful if built standalone and not attached to family-friendly places), I could see them getting away with attaching a small adult-themed boutique resort adjacent to it. PI was such a unique concept in its time, the idea of a purpose-built district with one-ticket access to many different bars and venues, that I could see people going to WDW largely just because of it. An attached resort could house many of those guests, and cut down on some of the intoxication spectacles that plagued Disney transport in PI's twilight years.

Last edited:

JIMINYCR

Or if not an adult resort, how about an adult only wing of rooms that has a kid free zone. DW & I are past the kid along era and it sure would be nice to be able to have relaxing Disney time without the unchaperoned, unruly kids & teens running havoc all through resort areas. Those idealic photos of relaxing adults enjoying their peaceful disney vacation are sorely missing. Disney wisely provides the cruise ships with adult only pools.

roj2323

Original Poster
I think it could be interesting. An adult resort doesn't have to be Vegasy or "adult" (R-rated), but there are many guests that go without children and perhaps don't care about being in an environment that caters to kids. Disney Cruise Line has many adults-only areas on all of their ships, and the emphasis is usually more on quiet or sophisticated. Make the resort classy, with a large spa, a few bars, and an emphasis on a "quiet pool" experience (or even an elegant V&A-style restaurant), and I could see it being a huge hit with a lot of guests.

Thank you for saying this in a more eloquent way than I did.

Tinkerbell397

I just returned from Disney and I must admit that the only "bad" behaviors I witnessed was on the part of the adults. I saw adults who pushed their kids to the limit in an attempt to provide what they thought is the perfect vacation for them. Kids as old as 10 being pushed in strollers so that the next FP would not be missed. Parents threatening to "beat their kids butts" if they "did that again"....whatever "that" was. I saw one dad lose it in The Rain Forest Cafe....do you really expect a 3 year old not to react to such a visually stimulating environment. I witnessed a dad smack a child who by my estimate was under the age of 1. The little guy was up and in a restaurant at 7 PM......really.....he was under 1 and he was probably dragged around all day. What could a baby possibly do that he deserves to be smacked which by the way, made him scream and cry even louder. I cannot imagine any part of Disney with our children....hotels, parks or restaurants. Disney is for kids and those who are kids at heart. :cat:

Last edited:

Cubs Brian

I enjoy visiting the parks, but I have no interest in staying at the resorts mostly due to screaming kids. (I prefer my vacations to be relaxing) It seems to me that disney would have an interesting / unique opportunity if they offered an adults only resort. What do you think?
If it ever did happen it would be built in Las Vegas>

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom