"It's Tough To Be A Bug" closing for lengthy refurbishment in July

pumpkin7

The Hopper animatronic is flippin' awesome. I paid special attention to him last time we went. He was there, he moved, in time, hurrah!
Flik on the other hand, well, I think he'd been on the ole bumble bee juice, if you know what I mean. His eyes were not working at all! He looked spaced out and drunk.
He must go to the same bar as the IASW Hippo after the parks close.

DrewmanS

I like the concept of the attraction. It is great.. but being 15+ years old. Could we get a new movie already? I mean I dont understand why when you have something in place, they can't just reimagine it with a new storyline. We don't need something always gutted and then a complete overhaul. Just put a new movie. Same goes for Philharmagic... We have had how many new movies out since that was made? Just make a new movie. BAM whole new experience. You cant tell me it would cost more than $30-40k to redo a movie...

It costs about $7000 per second for a feature animated film. So a 10 minute film costs around $4million to make. Now add the cost of coordinating animitronics and 4D effect and the cost goes much higher.

BTW, the cost of converting a current movie to digital is about $100k for the projection system and about $1000 to convert a 10 minute 35mm film to 4k resolution (2D single projector system). This does not include the cost of cleaning up the film in post production or additional cost of 3D conversion and projection. The total cost, however would still be a fraction of the cost of production ga new movie.

Rescue Ranger

While I am hopeful they will both get proper, clear HD transfers....the best option for Tough to be a Bug is to go the same route as Star Wars and have it slightly change each viewing to keep brining you back in. While the same could work with Philharmagic amazingly as well, I'd also be happy with making the attraction 5-10min longer by adding some more movies in.

Muppets needs a new movie too. So much has changed for them since that opened. I'd hope they'd still keep Waldo in, at least as a cameo for nostalgic purposes.

Goofnut1980

It costs about $7000 per second for a feature animated film. So a 10 minute film costs around $4million to make. Now add the cost of coordinating animitronics and 4D effect and the cost goes much higher.

BTW, the cost of converting a current movie to digital is about $100k for the projection system and about $1000 to convert a 10 minute 35mm film to 4k resolution (2D single projector system). This does not include the cost of cleaning up the film in post production or additional cost of 3D conversion and projection. The total cost, however would still be a fraction of the cost of production ga new movie.

way to be the debbie downer... hahahhahah
great info tho!

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
It's Tough to Be a Bug is one of those 3D films that's amazingly entertaining........Except after about maybe 20 times. Because of the way it is scripted.

Definitely could use an update.

TB4244

Is there an update as to when ITTBAB is likely to reopen or what they've actually been doing to it for the past two months?

janoimagine

Not sure where you got your numbers but I am fairly confident you are way off ... average costs per minute range from $80K to $100K depending on the type of animation ... no studio in their right mind would pay $7K per second of completed film, that would equate to $420K per minute of completed footage.

Macca250

have it slightly change each viewing to keep brining you back in. While the same could work with Philharmagic amazingly as well, I'd also be happy with making the attraction 5-10min longer by adding some more movies in.
That's a great idea, have Donald visit different movies each time. Now that's an upgrade, could keep the beginning and end exactly the same and randomise the middle portions. Maybe throw in some snow machines for the Frozen sequence too! It will never happen, but we can dream :D

Matt_Black

Flik on the other hand, well, I think he'd been on the ole bumble bee juice, if you know what I mean. His eyes were not working at all! He looked spaced out and drunk.

Well, he IS voiced by Dave Foley. The Kids in the Hall themselves had a joke that the drinking game for their show would be whenever you see Dave Foley's character with a drink, drinking, or drunk, take a drink, and then try not to die.

celluloid

i am referring to the fact that Disney calls everything you can do an attraction...so to speak...even if shows are somewhat in there own category..

The Great Movie Ride, Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...:p
But yes, I think people get the point that an attraction encompasses rides shows, exhibits, anything that draws people to pay money. Disney did not invent that. It is just an umbrella term.

Kuzcotopia

Don't forget Disney's new motto: "They're tourists, what do they know?"

I've only seen it once, seven years ago.

I've seen Guardians of the Galaxy more times. It's getting old watching the same movie. . . Maybe they should change the villian . . . To keep it fresh.

DrewmanS

Not sure where you got your numbers but I am fairly confident you are way off ... average costs per minute range from $80K to $100K depending on the type of animation ... no studio in their right mind would pay $7K per second of completed film, that would equate to $420K per minute of completed footage.
At $7k per second, a 90 minute feature animated film would cost $40 million. That's on the low end for most Disney films. Remember it is not just the animation, but sound, dialogue, music
score, etc. The costs you quoted are more likely for 2d animation for TV, not a fully rendered 4K movie produced using 3D modeling. Granted a 10 minute production for an in park movie may cost less to produce, but adding and syncing 4-D effects is an added cost.
The point was, it costs much more to create a new movie than most people think. Converting an older movie to digital projection and renovating the theater is much cheaper.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom