Disney to expand cancellation fees to all table service restaurants at Walt Disney World

RSoxNo1

That's the truth. Not only is this practice a sign of disrespect for the business & clientele that these morons neglect to cancel with, but it also shows sheer stupidity & laziness to not be able to make a 1 to 2-minute phone call (give or take).
More like 10-15 minutes. They need to improve how easy it is to cancel or adjust a reservation

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
People paying thousands for a Disney vacation (including dining) are going to tend to take things a bit personally....

And Disney created this situation, so they cannot be completely absolved either....

ExtinctJenn

Catching up... I'm amazed at the amount of folks who thought I was nuts for asking how you feel about the cancellation policy your doctor may have in place that is similar to this. Even more amazed at the amount of folks who said they've never had a doctor do that. In my life, having had cancer as well as a myriad of other random medical problems, I've seen many many doctors and every single one of them would charge me a fee if I didn't cancel within 24 hours (or just didn't show up). It's gotta be a regional thing is all I can guess but I've lived in 5 states on the East Coast and in every one of them those policies existed. So interesting to realize how different things can be like that and... probably a good insight into why some folks are more upset about this than others. When you're used to things like your own doctor doing this, Disney doing it isn't as much of a shock to the system. If you've never experienced anything like it, I can see why the reaction would be "What the what?" LOL! :D

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
We've only been to BoG once, but we loved our food. I will agree with @WDW1974 that the restrooms are a joke and not even adequate for a quick service location or walking path, much less a "grand" table service location. It was a bit noisy but we're okay with that.
When we has dinner at BoG last November during the soft opening, I was shocked at how few stalls there were in the Women's washroom. No big deal, as the restaurant was not officially open, and less than half full.

Fast-forward to Tuesday's lunch. We waited 20 minutes in the glaring sun on the bridge, the ice water dispensers were empty, the 6 available umbrellas were all in use. lunch was lovely, but the line to use the facilities at the end of the meal was lined out the door. My SIL decided to wait, but I couldn't. I forgot to actually count, but I think there are only 6 stalls in the Ladies' washroom. That's totally inadequate.

And oh yeah, I took everyone's advice and ordered the strawberry cupcake for dessert, as did my SIL. Gross. Nasty. Wet on the bottom. Heavy, greasy icing. Never again.

ninjaprincesst

I think it's a great idea. Besides the double bookers there are far too many people who just decide not to go. I also understand the 24 hour time frame, that gives someone a legitimate shot at getting that last minute reservation. It's not like this is unheard of doctors and beauty salons have been doing it for years. Im sure if someone has a real excuse for cancelling last minute and they bother to call they would waive the fee.

PhilharMagician

It is about time that this has happened. In the past I have cancelled reservations within the 24 hour period, but I have always canceled my reservations that I did not make for what ever reasons. Sometimes as little as an hour prior.

I still wonder how many people carry multiple reservations for months waiting to make final decisions closer to arrive dates?

devoy1701

This will in no way make it easier for walk-ups. Disney doesn't want them at all if possible.
well you might be right... but you might be wrong as well on this one. Perhaps this isn't done as an attempt to allow walk-ups, but it could be a consequence of this decision anyway.

ExtinctJenn

well you might be right... but you might be wrong as well on this one. Perhaps this isn't done as an attempt to allow walk-ups, but it could be a consequence of this decision anyway.
Yeah I'd tend to be on the side that this has nothing to do with allowing more walk-ups as much as it does with allowing more guests to make ADRs that ultimately will keep them. Just my hunch. Lots of opinions on this though!

BigThunderMatt

Much of what's happening at WDW is dis-incenting spontenaeity. To me a "magical" vacation includes making spontaneous decisions. I don't want to schedule my time out to the nth degree on where I'll be, what times I have fastpasses for which attractions and meals on top of that too. It sucks the fun right out of it and makes the vacation look a whole lot more like my average work week.

I've never understood this argument. The sheer complexity and size of Disney World does not lend itself to the vacation of spontaneity model and has not in a considerable period of time.

If you want spontaneity, take a trip to Hawaii or a national park. Pick and choose what you do there. No one is stopping you but you and your desires. Don't visit the top theme park resort destination in the world that operates on very strict time-tables and labor analyst forecast models and caters to millions of people every year. The type of planning that comes with having a good time there is pretty much part of the territory these days but this is nothing new.

tlev

I love this idea.. I hope it will make it easier to get those coveted reservations and make those accountable that make numerous reservations they don't keep. I've never known Disney to be unreasonable about cancellations when there is a legitimate excuse.

JimboJones123

Walk-ups pay just as much for their food, and are just as profitable, as someone who made a reservation a month prior. They are trying to cut back on scheduling, but they are "leaving dollars on the table to save pennies".

You never want to have a completely sold-out,100% full restaurant (hotel, train, plane, etc.). If there are but a couple of seats empty, you know you have sold all the tickets/meals you possibly could without turning business away. In a sold-out condition, there is no way to tell just how much (potential) business you lost. By cutting staffing to the level of advance reservations, if Disney will be unable to accommodate last minute (day of) customers, they are guaranteed to be turning people away to leave empty tables.

I've never seen a doctor or dentist do that, but if they pulled such a stunt I think I'd find a new doctor. Hotels do charge you, but that's different for one reason - they hold a CC reserved room all night waiting for you and thus cannot sell it to someone else. You have bought the room whether you use it or not. That's not true of a restaurant, which merely need to ensure they don't get stuck with large numbers of no-shows. To take the hotel example a bit further, hotels often permit cancellation up to 6 p.m. the day of arrival. Providing 24 hours notice to a restaurant is ludicrous.
May be something they want to look into with Toy Story Mania. The turn aways on that are insane. The ride could handle 3x the current capacity.

ddrongowski

Very interesting that people book multiple adr's with intent on not using them all. This is the first year we are using adr's since our first annual visit in 2001. We only scheduled what we are going to do (1 adr per day). It never ever even entered my mind to do such a self centered, ego maniac, I am more important than your concept... to do this. People SUCK! MAKE THEM PAY!!!!! PUNISH THE SCUM!!!!

menamechris

And it is these people that feel its all about them and don't care how it effects other peoples vacation and ease of planning that has made this policy necessary.

This problem was not created by Disney, but they found they finally had to take action to stop the abuse.

This is proved by the folks who have come on many sites bragging how they had multiply reservations!

As to whether its 24 hours or 12 hours or the morning of.....etc....there can only be just so much flexibility. Since Disney has repeatedly demonstrated they are willing to be flexible in applying the policy, its seems very fair over all!

Point understood, but in my opinion - naive. If your opinion is that this policy is in an effort to make your vacation planning easier and restaurants more accessible to you - that's simply incorrect. Disney could care less about whether you get into your favorite restaurant - they are banking you will spend roughly the same amount at a different sub-par restaurant on their property. (And thanks to DDP, you WILL pay about the same amount, whether you are dining at Trail's End or Grand Floridian Cafe). This is about them being able to offer LESS to guests. They can forecast and schedule fewer waiters for locations, and thereby. cutting down on the chances of being able to "walk up" to a restaurant and get seated. This is just the next step in Disney forcing all guests to meticulously plan every minute of their vacation, so the resort does not have to spend any more money on cast members than they absolutely have to. And now, if a guest's change of plans or emergency cuts into the profit generating formula, Disney will be billing that charge directly to their credit card.

Last edited:

ddrongowski

How much does any of this really matter when you can walk up to a Disney restaurant that's clearly only half full (or less) - and has no one waiting - and be told that they're all booked up and can't seat you?
Actually for the past 12 years that has never happened to us. We have always been able to just walk up and get in. But we own Disney, we just don't brag about it... Um, is that bragging?o_O

vonpluto

Here's a thought, same day ressies. Conduct a test at one of the parks, let's say EPCOT. Maybe they could utilize a section of the post show area of SE to set up kiosks with touch screens to make same day resizes. Or, perhaps video screens so you could talk live with a CM. Nah, probably wouldn't work.
:banghead:

PhilharMagician

Very interesting that people book multiple adr's with intent on not using them all. This is the first year we are using adr's since our first annual visit in 2001. We only scheduled what we are going to do (1 adr per day). It never ever even entered my mind to do such a self centered, ego maniac, I am more important than your concept... to do this. People SUCK! MAKE THEM PAY!!!!! PUNISH THE SCUM!!!!

This sort of "me me me" happens all over WDW. Everyday in WDW I couldn't count on both hands the amount of times people cut lines for rides, shows or busses. How about when you have been in a location for an hour to hold your spot for Illuminations and someone pushes in last minute and next thing you know you are no longer in the front as they push their kids in front of your family or the times you got a great spot for the parade 45 minutes early and someone pushed their kids in front of you 2 minutes before it starts. Grrrr!!! Rant over. There is no way I would believe that people do not scam the system to have the choice between going to Boma, Ohana's, Teppan Edo or Mama Melrose on the same night depending on what they feel like or where they are when dinner time comes.

lebeau

Yeah I'd tend to be on the side that this has nothing to do with allowing more walk-ups as much as it does with allowing more guests to make ADRs that ultimately will keep them. Just my hunch. Lots of opinions on this though!

It has nothing to do with either. Disney created this mess with their ADR policies and free dining promotions. Then they "fix" the mess with a policy that punishes guests for bad luck and/or planning.

Disney's motive isn't to do anything for guests. They are looking to squeeze out a few more nickles. Either in the form of fees or reduced labor costs.

This won't result in walk-ups being available. Any impact on double booking will be neglible because the fee is easily avoidable for those who do that sort of thing. This will adversely impact people who legitimately tried to play be the rules and hit a snag.

People will try to tell you that doesn't happen. That Disney customer service won't allow it. But sometimes it does happen. It happened to me. Not only did they not let me out of the cancellation fee, they charged me for a 2-year-old who wasn't even going to eat. After 30 minutes on the phone, they told me there was nothing they could do for me.

And yet, people are cheering! They see this as some kind of crack-down on cheaters that will benefit them somehow. It's not. This policy benefits Disney and no one else.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom