The Utilidors

cba

Original Poster
Has anyone been down there? I've never been a castmember nor seen the "Keys to the Kingdom" tour so I don't know how it really looks like other than it has colored lines indicating what land you're in and there's multiple entrances to it around the Magic Kingdom.

The Empress Lilly

I've been into the utilidors once.

The coolest bit was that where Walt's statue is in the hub, is the exact place in the utilidors where his cryonically stored body is located!! They even use the same mainframe room-sized computer from 1971 to keep the temperature steady at fifteen degrees fahrenheit. This computer also controls the Country Bear Jamboree.

TDF

Wet on the tour as well… 16th Birthday Present!! The tour was awesome… the utilidors almost reminded me of a college hallway or campus. Staff members talking, people walking, etc… I did however not see a headless Mickey or any making out and stuff like some other websites say you see… - Cough - Darkside of Disney - Cough - LOL

MarkTwain

They're... concrete tunnels. :) Not a lot to look at. The person that said concrete hallways around a stadium got it closest. The most interesting parts are indeed the color-coded stripes on the wall, the directional signs which still act as if Caribbean Plaza is a separate land, and the occasional stench or odd sound effect finding its way in from the world above. Occasionally you'll have to step aside for an arm-locked group of skipping character performers or an approaching golf cart.

C&D

It is probably nice to be able to cross it off your 'bucket list', but as reported above, nothing spectacular. I got my chance during the "Keys to the Kingdom" tour.

Black Pearl

I saw it many many times working there in entertainment. Never done the tours, but I imagine you will "never" get the full experience of everything down there without working there. I use quotes because anything is possible.

John

Family member is a CM.... she said the thing you notice most is there is no Disney-fication down there. It was done intentionally so the cast members can get away from that and not surrounded by it 24-7. Which is much different then how they want their guest to experience it.

Poofiesdream

Its like being in an unfinished basement. Not much to look at. Something I'm glad I did once though. Its hard to believe there are small delivery trucks traveling down there. A lot of walking and easy to get lost.

mergatroid

A question about the 'keys to the kingdom' tour really, but possibly fits in here considering. On the tour when you visit say The Haunted Mansion, do you just enter the attraction from the utilidors and then ride it? Or do you actually go behind the scenes of the attraction and see areas that you'd never see such as seeing scenes from maintenance areas etc?

Lee

Adventurer
On the tour when you visit say The Haunted Mansion, do you just enter the attraction from the utilidors and then ride it? Or do you actually go behind the scenes of the attraction and see areas that you'd never see such as seeing scenes from maintenance areas etc?
Neither. You walk up to the Mansion like any other guest and ride it. Only difference is that you skip the queue and take the servants hallway directly to the load area.
You don't really go behind the scenes of any attraction during the Keys tour. That would be more like Backstage Magic.

mergatroid

Neither. You walk up to the Mansion like any other guest and ride it. Only difference is that you skip the queue and take the servants hallway directly to the load area.
You don't really go behind the scenes of any attraction during the Keys tour. That would be more like Backstage Magic.

Ok, thanks for replying Lee.

woodardfamily

The utilidors are are a great way to leave the park if you are in FLE after Wishes. You would think that the guys working over in R & D would come up with a map to help guests not get lost down there so easy.

Gt2BtheGoodLife

A question about the 'keys to the kingdom' tour really, but possibly fits in here considering. On the tour when you visit say The Haunted Mansion, do you just enter the attraction from the utilidors and then ride it? Or do you actually go behind the scenes of the attraction and see areas that you'd never see such as seeing scenes from maintenance areas etc?

There also is, if memory serves me correctly, a Haunted Mansion tour that does include behind the scenes stuff that is otherwise off limits to Guests. At least, there was one, not sure if it's still a thing or not.

SMS55

I went down into the Utilidoors during the Keys tour, it was cool to be down there but it was really just a lot of gray concrete and in the end nothing spectacular. But as a non-cast member it is cool to say I've been down there.

That's not just underneath, that's above ground too. I've never been to the utilidoors but I've been backstage at EPCOT with a cast member many years ago and that's how all of it is. Anything that the guests don't see is like any regular building, office, hallway, etc.

Prock3

The utilidors are are a great way to leave the park if you are in FLE after Wishes. You would think that the guys working over in R & D would come up with a map to help guests not get lost down there so easy.
Thats really interesting…. especially since there isn't an entrance to the utilidors in FLE

The utilidors are nothing special, its just like concrete hallways but with pictures of mickey mouse through out it. And a lot of bread…

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom