WED's Think Different Challenge!

BryceM

Bonus Question: What do you think would make a good Resort theme?
A resort themed to Greek Mythology. Guests would be staying in a place only suited for gods, and the resort would be lavish and awe-inspiring. Definitely one of the nicest hotels, and would be up there with The Grand Floridian in terms of ritz and class.

The resort could be geared to the more adult crowd, and could feature a new version of The Adventurer's Club, focusing on the guests being mortals and being invited to a party with the gods. Non-resort guests can visit this attraction.

ctxak98

OK everyone, Its time for my idea. Before I start I want to explain a few key things about my idea and why I wanted to do it in the first place. I am doing the ride DINOSAUR because I feel as though this ride has so much potential to be amazing and in its current state, its just a good ride. Now turtle I am not copying you! I promise I have been working on a way to fix this ride for many many years now. I think I have finally found a good concept that will keep the old feel of the ride the same, But add some new surprises that will be sure to delight guests and hopefully, SCARE them! Another thing that will take place in order to make this attraction work is a extension of the show building that is currently there. Now that would mean the ride would basically have to be reconstructed which is true but it wouldn’t be as much work as you may think. So now that I got that

Dinosaur will be changed physically, But not Thematically. The theme and story of the ride will out of the way lets start talking about the attraction itself and what I will be doing to “PLUS” the attraction.
remain VERY much the same. The ride name however is one key thing being changed. As many of us know the ride use to be called “Countdown to Extinction”. Now I was lucky enough to be able to go on this ride when I was very young and It scared me so much! But I loved it. The name now is okay, but its a little to open ended, which leads people to thinking its a slow ride through dinosaurs and not a scary and thrilling adventure. The rides new name will be a combination of the two....literally. Dinosaur: Countdown To Extinction will be the new name. Now I use to just want to take the old name back but after long consideration I realized the two names if said enough, really do fit well together and create a better picture in your head for what to expect! The statue outside will also be changed to a Carnotaurus fighting a Styracosaurus. Now this statue may sound violent But its more of a pose and not actually attacking eachother. I just want something that will stand out and be a mixture of whats there now and what use to be there, Without giving away what the attraction is really about.

Now the first section that is going to be changed is the queue. The queue will have new things added to it like interactive elements and things to actually look like. People always compare this ride inside and out to Indiana Jones and how its not as well themed. I disagree with this statement just because They are two completely different elements. The Dino Institute is Obviously a little less eye popping but with these enhancements to the queue, Hopefully guests will be immersed into a Dinosaur Exhibit like never before.

The first part of the queue will be the garden. The Dino Institute Garden will be lush and very prehistoric feeling, much like cretaceous trail. The garden will be filled with bronze Statues of Dinosaurs from the ride (foreshadowing what guest will see later on). So there will be an Alioramus, Velociraptor, Parasaurolophus, etc.... These statues will all be on hidden rotating stands and come with a touch screen console that guest can play with and explore. They can learn about different part of the dinosaurs body and natural habits of the dinosaur species.

The next section of the queue will lead into the fossil research lab. This lab will be very hands on and high tech. There will first see a large viewing window where paleontologists will be there working on there fossils and talk about different fossils. In this room guests will also be able to send electric charges into the ground to pick up dinosaur fossil images. There will be 6 different consoles for this and many different fossils you can find. The next thing guests will be able to witness is the “Layers of a Dinosaur” presentation. This giant T-REX fossil (which will be an AA...but look like a skeleton) will be on display and using high tech projection imaging, the Dino Institute will bring the dinosaur to life layer by layer and show guest what it looks like to go from a living dinosaur to bare bones. This feature is sure to make guest go “how did they do that!?”
The next room will be “The Old Wing” museum. This museum will be filled with actual Dinosaur Fossils and information on the dinosaurs of course. This room will now make sense as Dr. Marsh mentions that she hopes we liked all the fossils in the Old Wing. This room will also feature a large blank wall that upon random selection will shadow image a Dinosaurs shadow in accurate size that guests will be able to stand next to and see how big the Dinosaur is compared to them.

The rest of the queue is the same. It then leads out into the outside walkway and then into the Foyer and then Into the Rotunda where the Giant Carnotaurus Skeleton still remains and Bill Nyes speech still will remain also.

Now some things are going to change in the Pre-show theater. The briefing video will now be Updated but have the same script and story to it. The only thing that will be changed is Dr. Seekers actor. I love Dr. Marsh as Phylicia Rashad, But Dr. Seeker will now be played by Nathan Fillion. If you dont know who Nathan Fillion is, Look him up hes on the show “Castle” which is very good. He would make a great Dr. Seeker, …..”Trust me what could go wrong!”. Anyone catch my reference!?

So, Besides that little change the theater will also have designated rows. You can fit up to 12 people per row because thats how many you can fit into a row. That room is always a mess to get out of because everyone rushes to the door. Now you will be ushered out by a Cast member depending on the row you are in.

Okay so this next part is the same with guests entering the secret lab and then boarding the time rover. Instead of me explaining the ride, I have decided to just re-write the script to kind of help people understand whats going on. The script has changed and afterwards I will explain the key differences that I have made throughout this ride. Okay so go ahead and enjoy!

Dinosaur: Countdown to Extinction

Script

(The time rover moves forward and around a dark bend filled with fog and scanners. The computer comes through on the monitors)

Computer: Time travel commencing in T- minus 10 seconds and counting.(the vehicle comes to a complete stop)

Seeker: Hey, This is Seeker, Listen up. You only have four minutes to get in, grab the Iguanodon, and Get out before that asteroid hits. Goodluck!

(the time rover zooms forward just as the sirens have detected the vehicle has an unauthorized trip to the end of the Dinosaurs. Its too late and the Time Rover has already being hurtled back in time. The room fills with fog and The lights start flashing all around the rover. The smoke and lasers flash ahead of the vehicle as the lights go out in the tunnel. Stars start to fill out around the vehicle as a large opening appears and you are transported into the vast, unknown, Primeval Jungle.)

Seeker: Great, your in. Hold on, I am locking onto your signal. Computer what are you tracking.

Computer:(beep) Styracosaurus (the Styracosaurus is trying to move a fallen tree off of his body. As the rover passes he stares us down with a defensive growl)

Seeker: Not our dino

Computer: Meteor Shower in range

Seeker: Don't worry we will be out of there soon

(The Jungle is dark, lit with moonlight coming through the branches, Small meteorites fall down the side of the rover. The rover then approaches a small watering hole where a giant Alioramus tail is seen moving from the tall grass)

Computer: (beep)Alioramus (the Alioramus raises its upper body, revealing a large dino inside its jaws being finished for dinner).......(beep)Parasaurolophus (the Mother is watching over her young).....(Beep)Corythosaurus( the corythosaurus to the left of the vehicle staring at the oncoming Rover)

Seeker: Locked on. Ok , Connecting Auto Pilot on Homing Signal..NOW!! HANG ON!

(This Next portion has 3 different Track options)

Track 1:

(The Rover Hurtles through the Dark forest)

Seeker: Computer stop ahead, Something Big is crossing our path.

(ahead of the vehicle a Wuerhosaurus is walking into the forest)

Computer: (beep)Wuerhosaurus(the dinosaur is blocking our trail. It lashes its tail at the vehicle in defense)

Seeker: Woah, Not our Dino. Computer locate new route

Computer: Changing route.....( just then the vehicle continues on its journey and swerves around the big Wuerhosaurus. Traveling forward into the forest we come across some new dinosaurs running through the brush)

Computer: (beep) Oviraptor (two oviraptors fighting over a nest of eggs on the right side of the rover)......(beep) Stygimoloch( a herd of Stygimoloch Are running along the left side of the vehicle)

Track 2:

(The rover hurtles through the dark forest....Nothing is seen ahead when suddenly the computer Detects something)

Computer: (beep) Ankylosaurus....(the ankylosaurus uses its club tail to attack the vehicle, But it barely misses!)

Seeker: Watch out for his tail! Duck!!( The ankylosaurus swings his tail over the passengers right side) Computer, Full speed ahead!!

(the rover nearly escapes the angry Ankylosaurus and continues through the dark forest)

Computer: (beep) Oviraptor (two oviraptors fighting over a nest of eggs on the right side of the rover)......(beep) Stygimoloch( a herd of Stygimoloch Are running along the left side of the vehicle)

Track 3:

(The rover turns sharply on its direct course to the iguanodon. Up ahead the rover starts to slow down)

Seeker: Computer whats the problem?

Computer: Mud pit........(beep)Velociraptor( just then a velociraptor appears on a rock infront of the vehicle)

Seeker: Computer, turn on thrusters NOW!!

(The raptor on the rock calls out to his pack in the field of grass in the distance. The raptor in the grass pops his head out and then dissapears. Just then the grass starts to shake in a direct path towards the vehicle, The velociraptor is about to make an attack)

Computer: Thrusters ingnite in 3.....2......1.....(boom) (just as the vehicle lunges forward the velociraptor, from the right side, jumps out at the vehicle)

Seeker: That was close, Computer lets avoid anymore mud pits!

(the rover continues on the route chosen, The computer detects some smaller dinosaurs on the sides of the vehicle)

Continuation from the last 3 options

Seeker: Im tracking a big Dino on the scope. Could be ours, Computer full stop!

Computer: (beep) Pachyrhinosaurus (to the left of the vehicle, on top of a small hill a middle aged Pachyrhinosaurus is sitting. As seeker starts to talk the little Pachyrhinosaurus makes a sudden sniff in the air and runs off down the hill)

Seeker: Computer that cant be right, Reset Detector Signals

(Loud stomping is heard from the distance of the rover, But its too hard to tell what or where its coming from)

Computer: Resetting Signal.......(beep) Carnotaurus( The giant dinosaur is breathing heavily onto the passengers and looks hungry!)

Seeker: Definately Not out Dino, GO GO GO!

(the rover escapes its claws and ventures further into the dark forest. The light is dimming even more as the rover slowly comes up to another dinosaur)

Seeker: Another Big guy coming up. Computer, slow...and Identify!

Computer: (beep) Saltasaurus ( The giant long necked dinosaur swings overhead the vehicle but is very gentle compared to the others)

Seeker: Still not our Dino, But atleast this ones a Vegetarian (the rover suddenly takes off without notice) Woops!

(the Rover approaches a Nest of Baby Cearadactylus in a nest)

Computer: Asteroid Impact in 2 Minutes....

Seeker: I know I'm calculating a faster route, We don't Have much time left.

Computer: New route Initiated......(beep) Cearadactyl(the mom Cearadactyl approaches the Vehicle in an angry manner)

Seeker: INCOMING! (The cearadactyl Swoops down at the Rover but the rover takes a dip to avoid the attack. By avoiding the attack the computer is now of course!)

Seeker: Computer your going to wrong way, I’m losing your signal!

Computer: (beep) Compsognathus ( the compsognathus run across an overhead branch. Some more run across another fallen branch as two jump across the vehicles path. Meteors are really starting to come down hard around the vehicle)....90 seconds until Meteor Impact.

Seeker: Big Dinosaur straight ahead

(the dinosaur peers its head out from a small pond and opens its jaws at the rover)

Computer: Baryonyx

Seeker: Watch out! ( the rover takes a sharp turn and loses course again and starts to travel up hill. On the way up the lights on the vehicle start to flicker and dim) Computer whats happening!?

Computer: (as the vehicle comes to a slow stop) Power Level Critical.....shutting Down....

( The whole rover stops working and hurtles backwards through total darkness, As the rover is falling back Dr. Seeker can still be heard through speakers)

Seeker: Hang on everybody, COMPUTER RESET!

(the vehicle makes a sudden crash at the bottom of the hill and is shaking with the regeneration mode on)

Computer: Resetting Power,....Power regenerated(just then ahead of the vehicle in the dark brush, is the Carnotaurus) (beep) Carnotaurus...(the Carnotaurus starts to run at the vehicle)

Seeker: Four-wheel Drive now, Kick it! (the carnotaur chases the vehicle through the darkness and can be heard but not seen as the vehicle gains speed) He's Gaining on us, go faster!

(Meteorites start to really make a mess of things, They are falling hard and making it hard for them to find the iguanodon. The carnotaur continues to chase the vehicle)

Computer: Meteor Strikes

Seeker: Evasive Manuevers....Right, left , right, left( on the last left the Carnotaur is seen being stopped by a near by collision with a Meteorite)(the vehicle has escaped the rampaging carnotaurus) Get them Out now, Theres no time. Computer abort Mission, Abort Mission

Computer: Iguanodon(The iguanodon is up ahead and lifting a tree out of the way for the vehicle)

Seeker: Its too late, We dont have time( the laser is sent out anyways capturing the iguanodon in a flash) Hold on everyone this is it

(In the distant sky, we see the meteor hit the earth and a cloud of smoke approaches the vehicle. On the way to the transport field the Carnotaurus lunges from the smoke to make one last attempt in pursuing the vehicle. It misses as the vehicle ducks into the smoke underneath.....Stars start to appear as we apprach the time tunnel)

Seeker: They are not going to make it, They are not gonna make it! (the Time rover is safe and made it back) You made it! I knew you would, And look who made it back with you! I better find him before Dr. Marsh does, Thanks for everything!

(the rover makes one last stop at the unloading dock)

Okay so that’s what the new ride will be, I will now outline simply the changes that have gone into this ride.

First I want to specify all the different Dinosaurs you will be seeing and how many of each you will be seeing. No matter what track you get Everyone will end up seeing 14 different dinosaur species as opposed to 9 different species right now.

1. Iguanodon(1)http://face.csdm.qc.ca/~BrauerSP/Gr2/theme/dinosaurs/2E2_dinopages_2009/iguanodon-pics/iguanodon green walking.jpg
  1. Carnotaurus (4) http://timerovertreasures.com/store/images/akcarnotaurus.jpg
  2. Saltasaurus (1) http://static.ddmcdn.com/gif/dinosaur-images-116-resize.jpg
  3. Alioramus(1) http://www.pgbooks.ru/upload/blog/09a//alioramus_remotus.jpg
  4. parasaurolophus(1 +2 babies)http://www.cbv.ns.ca/marigold/history/dinosaurs/datafiles/parasaurolophuspic.jpg
  5. styracosaurus (1)http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2...us_albertensis_by_camusaltamirano-d542e6f.png
  6. Velociraptor(2) http://www.rareresource.com/images/velociraptor-dinosaur.jpg
  7. Cearadactylus (3) http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-z-nmYxfQjJA/T1t4KL2SFSI/AAAAAAAAAyA/yIZCwZS6v5k/s1600/CearadactylusMS.jpg
  8. Compsognathus (6) http://www.nhm.ac.uk/resources/nature-online/life/dinosaurs/dinosaur-directory/images/\reconstruction/small/Compsognathus.jpg
  9. Pachyrhinosaurus (1)http://images.wikia.com/dinosaurs/images/f/ff/Pachyrhinosaurus_(12).jpg
  10. Baryonyx(1) http://www.wikidino.com/wp-content/uploads/Baryonyx-static.guim_.co_.uk_.jpg
  11. Ankylosaurus(1)http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120603235209/landbeforetime/images/6/6f/Ankylosaurus_2.gif
  12. Corythosaurus (1)http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20111025132248/dinosaurking/images/2/22/Corythosaurus-1.jpg
  13. Oviraptor( 2) http://www.joetucciarone.com/oviraptor.jpg
  14. Wuerhosaurus (1) http://www.drsaurus.com/learn/profiles/Wuerhosaurus.jpg
  15. stygimoloch (3) http://pnf-primeval.wikispaces.com/file/view/Stygimoloch 1.jpg/392148220/394x311/Stygimoloch 1.jpg
Ok so by adding these Dinosaurs I hope it makes the experience a little more believable. In a real dinosaur filled jungle I feel like we would see more than we actually do andby adding these key dinosaur I hope to achieve that(and they are ALL actually from the cretaceous period, I did my research!).

All of the AA figures that are there currently will be refurbished and different for some of them. The cearadactyl Mommy will actually swoop down at guest now. The Compsognathus will be used differently. They will be smaller AA that will run along a track on a log, Hidden from view. This will give the effect of running and then the last two will use the same old technique with the poll that swing them across the track to give the effect of jumping. These AA guys wont move as much but with the effect of moving fast it wont even be a problem! The other major change will come into play with the Carnotaurus chase. This scene will now have the carnotaur keep chasing you throughout the dark forest like in “countdown to extinction”. This was a great effect when it worked and now we can go even further with it. If we dont see the carnotaurus by the end of that sequence, It almost feels like he was never there, BUT if at the last second we have him lit up on the side by a meteorite hitting the ground then we can give the effect that he was chasing you the whole time. It will work like this. The carnotaur will stop chasing you at the same time it usually does. And during the right, left, right, left...On the last left and different AA carnotaur will be placed there with an effect of it being slowed down due to a meteor hit. It will just light up the upper head and body so It will not be a complete AA.

Some other changes are a AA carnotaur being changed to just before the return home instead of before locating the Iguanodon. Also the raptor scene will be very much another optical illusion. The raptor that attacks the vehicle will be two separate AA's. The first AA will just be a head that pops out of the grass and then ducks back down. The next sequence will be the meadow of grass shaking and moving in a straight narrow path to the vehicle and at the end of the grass a different AA raptor will jump out. That raptor will be attached to a pole that will be hidden through forced perspective and the way the vehicle will be positioned.

Now onto the track. The ride system itself would have to go through an upgrade as well. It will not have to be able to go backwards and forwards and new track switched will be in place. There is also the 3 different tracks in the middle now. Guests will encounter a different track at random as outlined in the script.

Overall the lighting level will stay the same but it will be more light in the beginning portion and then get darker as you move on. When its really dark I will add more Meteor hits and sparks to give some light to the surrounding area. ALSO any portion that is completely dark will still get more plants and theme to them.

All broken effects will be turned back on like the time travel tunnels will have the laser effects turned back on. Also more fog will be added to the whole ride.

One last thing I am adding is instead of those painted backdrops, We put screens that portray a real scene making it feel more 3 dimensional. One spot where this will be used is in the end meteor hit. That room especially will be redone as it feels like you are in a giant box. More theming like in the beginning will be added and through the trees ahead will be a screen showing the Big ONE hitting the earth and then a smoke cloud will rush forward at you giving the effect of it hitting far away and then coming at you.

Ok so I know this is a lot to take in and that I probably didnt explain myself as well as I could but I dont have enough time unfortunately! Hope you like My PLUSSING to the attraction and yeah. Thanks for reading!

BryceM

15dde9dcfa6d29e60192515d19b79445_zpsee19979a.jpg

Maelstrom

Maelstrom at Epcot is one of two attractions in the World Showcase, and a charming one at that. Maelstrom explores the history of Norway, while also providing riders with a view towards the mythological side of Norway. However, the attraction is deemed by many to be "dated" or "campy". Though, the attraction will be plussed in quite a few ways, and here is how...

Queue

The queue will remain generally unchanged, in order to preserve the vibe that you're going on a more educational adventure through Norway's history, rather than just a thrilling adventure with Vikings and trolls.

Some changes will be made, however, but are more along the lines of general touch ups. The ceiling in the loading area will be replaced, and painted black, instead of white/grey. The large mural will stay completely intact and remain where it is, though will be touched up so it is brighter. The queue in the loading area be a little bit darker, whereas the mural will have increased lighting, in order to direct guest's attention to it even more. More touch-ups will be made throughout the queue, such as new paint, etc.

Ride Experience

Lift Hill - The walls around the lift will be replaced with jagged rock work, and will feature things such as stalagtites above rider's heads. A dense mist will roll down the lift hill, as the boat moves up through it. The lighting effects in this scene will remain the same. The face of Odin (which protects the lighting effects) will be replaced with an fluid audio-animatronic head, which has eyes that will follow riders when they pass under.

First Scene - Very few major noticeable changes will be made to the first scene of the ride, as I wanted to preserve the emphasis importance of the sea to Norway's culture. All effects will updated, such as:

- All of the AAs (the seafarers by the fire, on the boat, etc.) will be replaced. Replacing them, will be updated AAs, with motions as fluid as Captain Jack Sparrow, as they will interact with one another in a more realistic manner.

- The dated backdrops (the views of the churning ocean, the view of the mountains and the village) will be replaced with HD screens that are successfully able to give off the desired 3D effect without the need for glasses. This is to compliment the addition of the fluid AAs, as it helps to make the scene feel all the more realistic.

- The high trumpet sounds heard in the scene will be replaced with lower trumpet sounds. The sounds of a churning sea and the crackling of the fire will now be present.

Second Scene - One of the more famous scenes of the ride is this one, "the troll scene". Many things will be improved in this scene.

Riders will enter the scene and see dense foliage surrounding three trolls, similar to how the ride currently is. The trolls will once again be replaced with far more advanced, and fluid AAs.

Troll 1: "What is this? You wish to discover the spirit of Norway!?"

The foliage around the trolls begins to shake and sway back and forth with the anger of the troll.

Troll 2: "Be gone!"

Troll 2 smashes the staff on the ground, emitting sparks. The foliage around the trolls reacts by getting blown back, then it returns to its original state.

Troll 1: "I cast a spell!"

Lightning effects (similar to those used on Journey to the Center Earth) surround riders. At the same time, simulated wind and water effects whip around the boat, before all coming to a simultaneous halt.

Troll 2: "Disappear! Disappear!"

All sense of lighting fades away, leaving the room completely void of light. Quickly, stars begin to form all around riders. As the final star begins to form, both of the troll's eyes emit a glowing, green glow. The stars disappear quickly, leaving just the glowing eyes as the only source of light in the room.

Troll 2: "Over the falls, over the falls!"

At the last word, one final lightning bolt effect cracks through the room, and the glowing eyes disappear. Seconds later, riders are plummeting backwards through the ride's first drop.

Third Scene

A short, but sweet portion of the ride, this scene will get a similar treatment to the second scene.

- Once again, the AAs will be replaced by fluid and far more advanced AAs. The first polar bear scene will have it's head under the ice once riders approach, but will then lift it out of the ice and roar at the riders as they pass by. The polar bear that stands upright will also be replaced. It will be moved even closer to the boat, and will be slightly bent over so that when the boat passes by, it can take a swipe at the riders, providing a slight thrill.

- The puffins will stay in the same position, and will be once of the few AAs in the ride to not get completely swapped out for newer ones.

- The backdrops in this scene will once again be replaced by HD screens which provide riders with a sense of a 3D image.

- Wind effects and fake snow will be used, to simulate a snow flurry that the boat will pass through.

Fourth Scene

When riders move out of the arctic section, they emerge into a more forest type of area. All of the rock work lining the walls in this area will be completely redone. All of the fake vegetation will be replaced too. Right now, it looks far too cheesy and fake. The rocks will be given more detail and will be mossy.

- The murals in this section will be covered with mossy rocks, in order to completely immerse riders into their surroundings, without the unnecessary murals.

- The "pop-up" troll will be touched up, given a new "skin", new eyes, etc.

- The final drop will be more "closed in". Once the boat rotates, riders come face to face with an ominous, fog-filled cave entrance (instead of clearly seeing the drop ahead). The narrator speaks, and says "So, have you discovered the Spirit of Norway?" At that moment, the boat rolls forward, and drops into the dark, mist-filled cave.

- The boat will emerge from the cave, and enter the oil-rig scene, which will practically stay the same. The large backdrop will once again be a curved HD screen, in order to stay consistent with the rest of the ride. Riders will still be passing oil-rigs, which they can see in the distance, and of course, the large "real" once. The unload area (themed to the small seaside fishing village) will stay the same as well, and will just receive some touching up.

I did not want to plus Maelstrom so much, that it would be a completely different ride. I originally had an idea completely re-do everything, with an actual storyline with. much more elaborate theming. However, I realized that Maelstrom at heart was to educate and showcase Norway (well, maybe not the trolls). I didn't want it to turn into some almost E-Ticket attraction that focused only on trolls and Vikings. I wanted to keep it true to itself, and make sure that it served its same purpose. All Maelstrom needs is some major touching up, new effects, some new theming elements, etc., and that's exactly what I did.

(I also did this really fast and in a rush because I really procrastinated this until like, 45 minutes before my shift started today, hahaha)

WED99

Original Poster
@Sam4D23, @mahnamahna101 you are both disqualified from the challenge. I'm sorry but you failed to meet the deadline. You will be replaced but can re-apply as a substitue if you please. Thanks for competing.

To everyone else, well done. Your critiques will be in Saturday, followed by your next challenge on Sunday. This is all going by Los Angeles time in case you wondered.

WED99

Original Poster
@Alien - You're new around these parts, it's obvious to most of us. May I offer some advice. Take your time. No need to rush in your ideas. Plan them out and really go into detail. I've written a 22 page long submission before, not because I wanted to because I felt I had to. You only scratched the surface of what your idea had to offer, a script would have helped immensely. However, I still think the idea is a miss. Spaceship Earth is the first attraction most guests will experience when they enter Epcot. They should be receiving the message that this is not your usual Disney park. The first thing they should see is something with the feel of an educational World Expo attraction, not your average Magic Kingdom dark ride. The potential was there but I think you chose the wrong attraction. 1 point for decent grammar

@TomMorrow - I'll be honest with you. If this is the level of posts you plan to deliver for the rest of the challenge just drop out now, cause you don't stand a chance. I know it's harsh but the truth hurts. What you wrote was not a descriptive writing piece but more a short summary of your attraction. There was no detail at all, all I know is you want to change Big Thunder into Woody's Roundup with Toy Story characters. You need to explain more! What would the characters be doing? What's the story? Is the track the same? How about the vehicles? If you struggle with descriptive writing then use pictures, I am offering bonus points for presentation remember. However, from what I can gather I think the idea you are presenting is a good one. I always thought Big Thunder was missing something and some Woody's Roundup might be exactly what it needs. It's a shame, if you had of put more effort into your post you just might have won :(

@jdmdisney99 - Excellent idea. Living with the Land is a personal favorite of mine and I think some of the elements you added to it are just what it needs. The idea of using the screens to provide information is great, the voice over can be easy to miss sometimes. The MyMealMaker idea is very nice, but I think some minor adjustments would do well. How about guests just built a salad and could go to Garden Grill and have it made special to order. No discounts, just a custom salad. Still fun and interactive but much simpler. I don't think taking a fifth row out makes much sense. Living with the Land can get up to 45 minutes in the busy season and believe it or not, it has fast pass. But, that's not enough to change my opinion on your idea. Very nice and simple but highly effective, I like it!

@Turtle - This was an interesting one for me. I want to like it because I can see your enthusiasm, but I don't. I think the major changes you think you made were nothing but minor details and refurbishments. Some of the things you mentioned like the swooping pterodactyl and the brand new AAs are not pluses, they are just refurbishments. The sensory elements would help with immersion but they're not enough to make this a top notch E-Ticket. I see a pattern in your posts, you tend to explain things as if you were pitching a simple idea instead of going into detail on a finished plan. Telling me there are going to be more dinosaurs popping out doesn't say much, and just comparing to another ride does nothing at all. ToT is not a scary ride to me, so comparison can be a risky technique. I suggest taking your time next challenge and really show your potential.

@MonorailRed - Wow, you really did your research! This puts me in a sticky situation. What you have is an amazing show, but I don't know if it should replace American Adventure. American Adventure takes guests through the history of the United States by focusing on particular events. Your show skips the american history stuff and focuses on the urban legends. However, those urban legends were inspired by the events that shaped the USA so I can understand where you are coming from with this. Like I said, sticky situation. Either way your show is probably the best stage show pitch I've seen on these forums and I applaud you for that. 2 points for entire script

@ctxak98 - To be honest, I'm confused. I don't know whether I should criticize you for basically building a new attraction or applaud you for an amazing plus. I think I'll go with the second option. Well done, a great example of how long posts really do help. 1 point for presentation

@BryceM - It seems me and you both saw the potential Maelstrom had to offer. I like most of the effects added and the fact you kept it in it's original state but spiced things up really is the perfect example of a plus. However, I do have 2 problems with it. The first is leaving the queue the same. I think the queue is Maelstrom's biggest issue. I know you want guests to feel like they are going to learn, but some museum type artifacts on the wall could help immensely. The second problem is the HD screens. You would have a lot of trouble with these because no one builds screens that size. You need to take into account that TV's die off when kept on too long. Imagine if guests were in the oil rig scene with a giant shut off screen next to them! I think HD projectors would be much more reliable and provide the same effect.

WED99

Original Poster

WED99

Original Poster
Challenge Two: Just an Attraction.

For this challenge you just have to design an attraction. You can choose whatever location you like for the attraction. But there's a catch. This is the Think Different challenge so we have to mix it up a bit.

Your attraction cannot include guests in a mechanical vehicle.

The due date is 5/17. Good luck ;)

WED99

Original Poster
Let me clarify because I may have explained poorly. I don't want a ride that involves guests sitting in a vehicle getting moved around places.

Anything that doesn't involve that is fine.

Turtle

Something spooky and new is coming to the Magic Kingdom and it’s called Gracy Quarters. This new venture will let guests immerse themselves in the story of the Haunted Mansion like never before seen. Gracy Quarters is a massive attraction holding more attractions within it, like a large experience that’s set up similar to a theme park mini-land. The experience will be entirely indoors and the show-building for this indoor land would take over It’s A Small World and the show building’s size will be increased by three stories. Things in Gracy Quarters include table-service dining, a shop, The Haunted Mansion ride, special hotel rooms, and a walk through attraction called The Hatbox Ghost Mystery.

The mood, lighting, and feel of Gracy Quarters would be pretty much like the loading dock of The Haunted Mansion. It will be dark and foreboding but you can still see. As you navigate your way through the experience, you’ll find yourself in hallways and corridors and not many wide spaces. It wouldn’t be a confusing layout and it will be easy to navigate because there will be signs indicating where the restaurant, shop, exit, rooms, etc are located. Since this will reach capacity many times with these thin crowds the entire Gracy Quarters will be an attraction in itself and you will need to queue up to enter in addition to Fastpass capabilities. If you already have a room at the Mansion or a reservation at the restaurant you get automatic Fastpass access. Using Disney magic, five different floor levels, and multiple attractions within the massive Gracy Quarters attraction it will feel larger than it really is. Look at the layout plan here. If you’re curious how the transitions would look see this, this, and this but imagine it Haunted Mansion-ized

The queue, entrance, and the entire Haunted Mansion ride will remain the same except that at the end of your tour your Ghost Host will offer you to stay for a bit. The ride exit dock leaves you in the Gracy Manor for you to explore. If you do not ride The Haunted Mansion you can always just explore the mansion by queuing up to enter where the current exit is. As you read, there will be a restaurant, shop, rooms, and walk-through show all in this massive experience but none of these attractions will overlap. For Example: In the classic ride you will not be able to see guests wandering through the mansion or eating dinner, etc.

The Grand Ballroom is a fine dining experience that is made to look like the scene from the attraction. Think of the size and layout of the dining area as like the ballroom in Be Our Guest in Fantasyland. There will be no dancing ghosts but it will still be dark and music from the organ will be playing. It will feel like you’re in the ride and from above you can see a balcony which is where in the ride you see the famous scene.

999 Ghostly Gifts is a store inside the manor that plays a light theme that you’re purchasing what the 999 Ghosts had in their past life as if they’re giving it to you. The shop’s layout (not size) is similar to that of The Magic Kingdom Emporium in that there would be different rooms in one shop. The Library would be where books and nicer items are sold. The attic is where novelty items and toys can be purchased. The check-out room will be a generic mansion room.

One of the most intriguing concepts in this massive attraction is the hotel rooms. This would not be your normal hotel room but rather this would be an extremely rare opportunity similar to the Cinderella Castle suite. One big difference is that the normal guest can stay in the Mansion but it’ll take loads of $$. What happens in the rooms isn’t really anything drastic besides the fact that you’re in the mansion your window has a view looking out on Liberty Square and Frontierland, and the Haunted Mansion decor. There would be probably 30 rooms and it would have a hallway with all the rooms, and a nicer vending machine with nicer foods since guests wont be able to leave the hallway to get down the mansion. The hotel floor would not be accessible by the average Magic Kingdom guests.

The Hatbox Ghost Mystery is a walk-through attraction that is like if The Legend of Captain Jack Sparrow and Poseidon’s Fury (at Universal) had a child. The story is that the Hatbox Ghost is leading you on a tour of the Mansion and along the way you learn the mystery to why the bride stands there alone in the attic. This would be told with [projections of] the Hatbox Ghost leading your tour and cast members will only be in the individual rooms to tell everybody to keep on walking to the next section.The Hatbox Ghost Mystery would take you into places in the Mansion that we have never seen before.

I hope you guys like my idea!

WED99

Original Poster
CATCH UP ROUND

For this catch up round only @Turtle @Alien and @TomMorrow can compete. The points for this round will be...

1st - 6 points
2nd - 4 points
3rd - 2 points

The challenge is: What do you think would be a good 5th park theme and why?

Turtle

CATCH UP ROUND

For this catch up round only @Turtle @Alien and @TomMorrow can compete. The points for this round will be...

1st - 6 points
2nd - 4 points
3rd - 2 points

The challenge is: What do you think would be a good 5th park theme and why?
I think a great theme park can be a park based off the Holidays. I know it's been mentioned before like in Bryce's challenges but I've actually thought of the concept since 2010!
The North Pole [with a Disney prep and landing attraction], Time Gate [Entry Land themed to Father Time], Jack Skellington's Halloween-Town, Plymouth Rock [Thanksgiving], Valentine City [a romantic city in the clouds], and Easter Island [inside the Bunny hole with a creative twist on Easter Island].

Something that would be special is think of the concept of Limited Time Magic and apply it to this park. It's everywhere!
- During Halloween, Jack Skellington's Halloweentown can have a special parade and character walk- arounds! There will be special scare houses open during Halloween time.
- In Easter time, there would be a park-wide egg hunt. Or you can go inside and design your own eggs to purchase (not real eggs but little statues).
- At Christmas time, there can be special games like 20Q where a kiosk/machine tries to guess what you want for Christmas! There can be something like the Jedi Training Academy with Elves!
- On Valentines Day, you can expect a firework spectacular under the stars.

There are so many stories that can be told, they can go to any holiday and re-live at any time, and every season of the year the park has new so many experiences that will make guests' trips new and exciting.

BryceM

Legend of the Samurai is an upcoming walk-through attraction to Epcot’s Japan pavilion in The World Showcase. Guests are placed in the role of investigators, hired to explore an ancient Japanese temple that has been converted to a museum, due to recent mysterious happenings.

Location and Attraction Entrance – Located in the Japan pavilion, Legend of the Samurai will be incorporated into the tall pagoda. Guests approach the flight of stairs leading up to the pagoda and will find the entrance, on the side of the pagoda facing the water. The other side of the pagoda, facing inwards towards the rest of the pavilion, will serve as the exit. Above the entrance to the building, reads a neatly polished, but yet worn and cracked sign reading, “戦士博物館'”. Spelled out under the Japanese inscription, is the word “Warrior Museum”. A lighting effect, similar to the signs for the entrance to Forbidden Journey and Tower of Terror, will spell out “Legend of the Samurai” over the museum sign in blood red letters. The FastPass entrance will be with the standby entrance, but the line between the two will be divided by a rope.

Queue – Right after entering the pagoda, guests will encounter a large, square room. Both the standby and FastPass lines will loop around the edges of this room. In the center, is a complete set of Samurai armor. However, some guests will notice that the sword is missing. The rest of the room reflects a museum, with many artifacts on the wall and in separate cases. However, something looks “off”. Cobwebs and dust cover the artifacts, some glass is shattered, the walls are cracked, the front desk of the museum is empty, and the lights flicker on and off. It is as if nobody had been there in ages. Once guests complete a few switchbacks in this main room, they move deeper into the museum.

The line takes a turn down a dimly hallway. A sign above the entrance to the hallway reads “The Sword Gallery”. The hall is long and narrow, and to the left and right of guests are empty and forgotten sword stands, which once served to showcase some of the great swords used throughout Japanese history. The stands are completely empty, some are knocked sompletely over. Paintings on the wall depicting scenes of war are cracked, lopsided, and some completely missing. The walls are still tattered, and the dim lights above guest’s head continue their struggle to stay on. Something is awry, and it is very apparent.

After The Sword Gallery, guests take a right into “The Heroes Room”. This room pays homaged to great war heroes throuhout Japan’s war history. The room follows the same suit as the others, as in the terrible condition of it. There are five stone statues in the center of the room. Each statue is a crumbling relic, some missing heads, arms, hands, etc. The room is round, with a high ceiling, detailed with paintings of dragons. Candles along the walls give light to this circular room. The queue circles the room and the statues a few times, before branching off. A CM will stop guests after a certain amount have moved on from The Heroes Room.

Right after The Heroes Room, guests come enter a far wider hallway, and at the end of the hall is a large double door. The sound of a gong can be heard occassionally, as well as the sound of wind. At the end of the hall is another CM. Once a decent amount of guests are grouped together, the Castmember will open the doors, into the first show scene.

Main Show:

Show Scene One

Guests are ushered into a large, expansive room. This room of the museum is suprisingly in good shape. Beautiful tapestry lines the walls. At the center of the room, against the wall opposite of where guests entered, is an elevated stand. On the stand lies three ancient gongs. All around the room are tents, computers, scaffolding against the wall, tall construction lights, tools, etc. However, no sign of life is apparent. Suddenly, the sound of running footsteps can be heard an “Oh, thank goodness!” echoes the room. Two figures rush into the room, stumbling through all of the construction equipment and onto the elevated stand with the three gongs. The constructions lights bring light to the figures, revealing a man and a woman dressed in tattered clothing, covered with dust and sediment. The male begins to brush himself off quickly and sloppily, while the female takes her time and properly adjusts her clothing.

Female – “Oh yes!” She stops immediately what she was doing and stands alert and upright. “I am Yumi, and this is my partner, err- should I say, only partner left; Jiro.”

Jiro still continues brushing himself off, before realizing what is happening. “Oh!” is exclaimed as he then stands upright next to Yumi.

Yumi – “… Anyways, I am so glad you came. You never replied to my letter for help, but it’s now obvious that you received it. Now that we have help again, we can finally make some progress…”

Jiro – “Tell them what happened!”, Jiro interrupts.

Yumi – “Ah, yes. Well we, just like you, are investigators. We were hired about… 6 months ago to…” Jiro sighs “… to investigated the strange happenings at this very museum… Which was abandoned about 7 months ago, and ransacked by someone or… something in the middle of the night.”

Jiro – “And us two, along with eight others were hired as a last resort to discover what was truly in the museum. However, the eight others abandoned ship from pure fright, and now it’s just us…”

Jiro looks at Yumi uncomfortably then resorts to rapidly flipping through a sketchbook of his. Yumi stares off into the distance then regains her posture and continues the story.

Yumi – “Of course, they all argued that it was something spiritual, but we work with science… Ghosts are just simply an illogical case..”

At the end of her sentence, the construction lights flicker on and off. The room itself begins to shake. The scaffolding appears to collapse upon itself. Soon, it is completely dark and the shaking stops.

Jiro – “Um, Yumi…?”, Jiro says, with a tremble in his voice.

Right after Jiro speaks, a gong sounds. The second gong then sounds, followed by the third. Each time a gong sounds, red Japanese inscriptions appeared on each wall. A “gathering of stars” effect forms on the far right wall, then glides across each wall, erasing the inscriptions as it passes over them. The star effect then fades away as it reaches the wall behind Jiro and Yumi. The room still remains pitch black.

Yumi – “It’s definitely spiritual… And we need to get out of here!” The frantic sounds of footsteps can be heard around the room, as Yumi and Jiro argue where the door back to the main area of the museum is.

Jiro – “I could’ve swore it was right here…”

Just as Jiro says this, a shining light appears towards the right side of the room. The light gets brighter and brighter, then fades into nothing. The construction lights flicker back on, and a new passageway is revealed, with a cave-like entrance and interior. A low fog rolls out of the passageway and into the main room.

Jiro – “Oh, heck no…"

Yumi grabs his hand and drags him around the perimeter of the room and they pause at the entrance to the passage.

Yumi – “You never told us what those inscriptions said on the wall…”

Jiro freezes at the question, looks around, and gulps. Yumi stares blankly at him,\then nervously turns towards the guests.

Yumi – “Alright guys, looks like the only way to get out of here is through this entrance. We didn’t know this was here, but this is more than likely the temple ruins that the museum was founded around. Tours haven’t been offered since the 1990s, when an rockslide from the surrounding mountain seemingly took them out. Guess it is still here… Come on, lets go.”

The guests follow actors Yumi and Jiro into the ominous cave passageway.

Show Scene Two

Guests follow Yumi and Jiro through the jagged and creepy tunnel. Guests walk through a thick fog to the sounds of a low wind and the drops of water. They all reach the end of tunnel, with no apparent way out.

Jiro – “Oh great, oh great… oh great.” Jiro frantically feels around the cave wall.

Yumi puts her head in her hands and shakes her head. The lighting of the cave seemingly gets darker and darker, until everything is pitch black. A low laugh echoes through the cave. One by one, streaks of red appear, as if slashed onto the cave walls and ceiling.

Yumi lifts her head out of her hands, “What is happening?!” she screams.

Then, a flash of light fills the cave. It reveals that the walls are shaking, and appear to be slowly moving in.

Yumi – “The walls are moving in!” She looks around frantically. Jiro glances down at his sketchbook and shouts “I know!”.

He begins to recite the words that appeared in the last room, and as he says the last one, everything halts. The brightness of the cave increases, revealing that the walls were incredibly close to crushing everyone. The sound of stone grinding against stone is heard, as a boulder blocking the exit from the cave moves out of the way, which will allow guests to actually enter the temple itself.

Jiro “Here we go again…” Jiro shakes his head, and ushers guests into the next room.

Show Scene Three

Guests are lead into a vast room. Rocks and debris litter the floor. The walls are rocks, as is the ceiling. Guests are in the remnants of a temple, destroyed by the rockslide. At the far center of the room sits a skeleton, wearing old Samurai armor. A sword still rests in his hand. Surrounding him are stone statues, revealing that this is a ceremonial room. In each statues hand, there is a Samurai sword.

Yumi – “Hey, those are the statues from the museum!”

Mysterious Voice – “Yes, but they were not from the museum. They were from me. These were my weapons, not your artifacts. Now, I reclaiming all that was mine.. In order to once again rule Japan, and possibly, the world!” The voice booms through the cave, rattling everything.

The skeleton begins to move and stands upright. It motions his sword towards the roof of the ceiling. The sword glows and eerie green glow, and all of the statues raise their swords to the air. Lighting effects embedded into the cave walls begin to flash and make a cracking noise through the air.

Jiro – “We need to get out of here!”

Both Jiro and Yumi run frantically around guests, once again searching for a way. Lightning still strikes, as the glowing swords reach for the sky. Soon, wind effects come from all directions, whipping guests around and creating a faux storm.

Another booming laugh rolls through the room. The skeleton and statues turn towards guests, and point their swords towards them. All of their eyes glow green, along with their swords. In front of guests, explosions of fire light up the air. More and more happen, making it known that whatever this force was behind the voice wanted what it wanted, and it was relentless.

Jiro – “Wait! I think I’ve got it!”

Yumi – “Go, go!”

Jiro runs in front of the guests, and faces the skeleton Samurai and his army of statues. He holds up his book, and begins to recite the Japanese incantation again. It was no use, and another booming laugh was heard. Jiro once again recites something, but this time, the incantation backwards.

At the end of the last syllable, the room goes dead.The lightning stop, the wind stops, and the fire stops. Everything fades to darkness, excepts the glowing swords and the glowing eyes. One by one, the glowing swords and eyes of each statue fades to nothing, leaving only the glowing eyes and sword of the skeleton Samurai. The sword fades away, leaving only the eyes. With a clever uses of projection technology, each bone on the skeleton begins to glow a dark red, then the projection makes it appear that the skeleton explodes into a hundreds of pieces, which then those pieces fade into darkness.

The lighting of the room increases, making everything visible. The skeleton can be nowhere to found, the statues are all back in place and the room looks as ransacked as ever. Yumi joins Jiro in front of guests.

Yumi – “We cannot thank you enough for the help you have provided with us today. Without you, we would never have been able free this place of that evil, and discover the Legend of the Samurai. Now the museum can be restored back to it’s original state, just like we had planned.”

Jiro – “A secret passageway is now open for you guys, so you can safely travel back to the museum. Good luck with the rest of your travels in Japan!”

A CM ushers guests towards a short cave, which will quickly take guests back to the main room of the museum. When guests emerge from the cave, they are in a restored version of the main room, where everything is in tip top shaping, making it known that they had done what they needed to do and helped to relieve the museum of the curse. Guests exit from the pagoda and back into Japan.

Attraction Information

- The Legend of the Samurai is a thrilling attraction that requires walking. If you're pregnant or injured, you might want to consider skipping out on this attraction. Young children and people prone to seizures might also want to skip out on the attraction, due to it's nature. However, wheelchairs are permitted.

- The ride utilizes Disney's FastPass system. You can get your FastPass to the left of the pagoda, when looking at it with your back to the lake.

- The ride utilizes live actors, stunning special effects and a comical, but yet intense script. The "show" cleverly combines comedy with fear, which helps to tie the story of the attraction together.

MonorailRed

Applebees
I'm sorry it's a couple days after the second challenge was given out, I thought I could balance the challenge with what's going on, but I can't. I'm going to have to drop out of the competition.

I have a lot to do to graduate these next few weeks, exams, projects, ect. Plus, I'm going on vacation next week, and won't be near a computer...

Good luck to the competitors and to whoever fills my spot, I hope you all do well!

WED99

Original Poster
I'm sorry it's a couple days after the second challenge was given out, I thought I could balance the challenge with what's going on, but I can't. I'm going to have to drop out of the competition.

I have a lot to do to graduate these next few weeks, exams, projects, ect. Plus, I'm going on vacation next week, and won't be near a computer...

Good luck to the competitors and to whoever fills my spot, I hope you all do well!
Fair enough, thanks for competing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom