Photopass opinions

jcldtrek

Original Poster
Hey was just wondering what your opinions are on Photopass at the parks. It looks pretty good. Was just looking to get your opinions on this.

JillC LI

I am in what appears to be the vast MINORITY of people who find this to be a waste of money unless you want to get a bunch of "specials" (photos in which a character "magically" appears when you see the print online). The photopass photographers are happy to take a pic of you with your own camera so I have never felt the need to buy the photopass CD. (I do realize that if other people were not buying the CD, though, that the photopass photographers would not be there to begin with to take a pic of me with my own camera. But apparently, like I said, I am in the minority, and tons of people love their photopass CDs so I'm in luck.)

Weather_Lady

I am in what appears to be the vast MINORITY of people who find this to be a waste of money unless you want to get a bunch of "specials" (photos in which a character "magically" appears when you see the print online). The photopass photographers are happy to take a pic of you with your own camera so I have never felt the need to buy the photopass CD. (I do realize that if other people were not buying the CD, though, that the photopass photographers would not be there to begin with to take a pic of me with my own camera. But apparently, like I said, I am in the minority, and tons of people love their photopass CDs so I'm in luck.)

I'm in that minority, too! I see no reason to pay money for something that is free. Taking your own pictures is free. Having CMs take them for you is free. Asking some nice passing tourist to take a picture of you is free. Downloading stock photography of the parks from many available online sources is free. Uploading your photos to Shutterfly or a similar site later and having memory books and memorabilia made is... well, not free, but it's a fraction of the Disney price! Insofar as I know, the only thing Photopass gets you that you wouldn't otherwise have is the Photoshopped shots of you or your child holding Pumba or Tinkerbell, etc., and the on-ride photos.

cowanfamily

I love photopass as well. We make a memory book every trip we take. The book cost $100. We love the Disney layouts and covers. We upload about every photopass pic offered as well as our own pics. It comes down to what you want to spend your money on.

RedDad

Smitty Werben JagerManJensen
We don't always do photopass, but have done it several times in the past. Sometimes, we'll wait until after the trip is over before deciding whether to buy the cd. It costs more that way, but then you can wait and see if you have a lot of photos that you like before spending the money.

The main feature is that it makes it easier for you to get "professional" photos of everyone in your group, along with those goofy "magic shots." You can also add Disney graphics to your photos afterward if you want. My wife likes to get the WDW calendar with our pics for each year as well, so we'll probably end up doing it this year.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
We actually use photopass and our camera. I like having the whole group in the picture, the magic shots, etc. Plus, you can ditch your camera for a day or two. When you do meet a character they take more pictures than they do if you hand them your camera (typically one) and you can get in the pic with your kid for all the shots. Right now, my daughter loves meeting the characters. I'm not sure what my opinion will be after she outgrows this.

JIMINYCR

I am in what appears to be the vast MINORITY of people who find this to be a waste of money unless you want to get a bunch of "specials" (photos in which a character "magically" appears when you see the print online).

We would rather take our own pictures too. We have seen many of our friends photopass pictures, some funny but not all good, but I have to say we have never come away from a trip thinking we missed out on something by passing by those camera toting CM's.;)

Spikerdink

For many visits, I get the photopass card and had the photogs take pics with the added bonus of using my camera for the same shot.... before I left I would often look at the pics and if there was one that I really wanted I would buy it...but mostly I never did... Would look at them, but could not justify the cost.

Photopass is great if you are there for the first time, or doing something special (proposal, anniversary, etc) which would benefit some of the added features of Photopass.

Last year I went with a whole group - six in total - and many of them were newbies. We took photos everywhere and they decided they wanted all the photopass pics, so we chipped in and split the cost. I think they liked having the pics with the borders, dates and the special photos with Tink, etc inserted... Next year when we go again, not so sure we will do it.

Aurora1

We always take photos with the photopass card just in case there's an amazing shot we have to have. However, I found that for most of the pictures we took (excluding the magic shots obviously) my camera took equally good if not better shots. We had a really grumpy Photopass guy in AK the first day (it was cold- 60ish) and the photos on the card he took were AWFUL- the lighting was bad, etc. The ones he took on my camera were so much better!

luv

I think it's great. You can get a pic of your family in great locations and not have to carry a camera. Then you can get cute Disney borders. They add cute stuff. And getting your ride pics is awesome.

I think those pics are very nice souvenirs for a lot of people, especially those on a first or second trip. :)

If people want it and are able and willing to pay for it, I'm happy for them.

I never paid for it, though.

Twhitty

I agree. We did it on one vacation and got some good pictures but you still have to pay for pictures to be printed, weather that is Disney, snapfish, etc.

HouCuseChickie

I'm another one who is in the minority.

The only time I buy photopass pics is if we're doing something special like BBB. The photogs in there seem to have the lighting settings and angles down to the point where they've got the better pics of the experience...beyond that, I feel it's a waste...at least for my personal photograph preferences. i.e. I don't want ride pics, I don't want the structured pic before a character meal, I can take M&G pics of my kids just as well or better, I like taking pics on my own of all kinds of things so photopass can never make up for that, I prefer candids, and I don't think the quality is really any better (in most cases) than what I can do. While we had a TON of photopass pics last trip since we had two girls in BBB...we rarely have more than 20-30 pics taken and most are of the same thing and not any different than the pics on my own camera.

Now, if someone else likes it- that's great b/c I could see how it could be really great for someone not wanting to take their own pics, but it's just not for us.

Poofiesdream

I got the photo pass plus last Oct when we went with a family group for my daughters wedding and my granddaughters first visit. Love the pictures. For just a regular trip I don't spend the money I can take pictures with my camera just fine.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom