Rumors of OZ at DL... any rumors for WDW

jmick71

Original Poster
micechat has said that OZ may be coming to DL ,where big thunder ranch is. they said imagineers have been inspired by the upcoming disney film Oz The Great and Powerful. Has anybody herd of any rumors for a new OZ land in WDW

Looks like disneyland is already thinking about a potter swatter... something WDW should have been doing a long time ago( well i bet imagineering planned for a potter swatter in WDW but we all know what probably happened with that... LOL :lookaroun )

Cmdr_Crimson

Well it would be Disney's Second chance on Oz..If anyone remembers..
return_oz.jpg

MerlinTheGoat

Well it would be Disney's Second chance on Oz..If anyone remembers..
return_oz.jpg

I'm really not sure how others feel about Return to Oz, but am i the only one who actually enjoyed the movie? I loved it as a kid and i still find it good to this day. Of course, i really don't try to compare it to the 1939 classic and take it on its own merits.

Animaniac93-98

No, he's not. :wave: I've seen others online including Doug Walker (aka Nostalgia Critic) and James Rolfe (aka Angry Video Game Nerd) also bring up their liking for that movie online. It has alot to admire for those not demanding it to be 100% safe for 4-year olds or a copy of the MGM movie...but that's not what the rumour is about.

I'm 100% for Oz at DL, it makes perfect sense to me given its history and substance. It would be great for MK, but all the space it could have gone in is now the FLE. Not sure how I would feel about it at the other parks. Even at AK it would be a stretch, unless it was used as part of a larger BK-type area that used other properties like LOTR, Narnia, Jules Verne etc.

zooey

What the hell is up with imagineering? How about doing something with the 90 years worth of properties that their own company created? I don't get it.

JustInTime

I brought up the poster as it was Disney's first Oz movie..The next one OZ The Great & Powerful is the new Disney film starring James Franco as Oz..How you got that idea is mindboggling..:veryconfu

I totally got that you were just making a nod to the Disney classic. Haha. Glad there is support for the film. Looks like more than I thought.

JustInTime

It's close to the original than the 1939 movie I think.

Yeah. Return to Oz encompasses the feeling and spirit of the books while the 1939 film doesn't. Disney nailed it with Return to Oz. But after the original, anything will forever be in it's shadow. And it's really too bad.

Magenta Panther

I hated Return to Oz. Dorothy gets electro-shock treatments. WHA-??? (And that never happened in ANY Oz book. I've read all of them - at least the Baum Oz books). And of course that movie couldn't begin to match the magic of the 1939 version.

I had thought that when DHS was Disney-MGM, there would be perhaps a ride based on the MGM Oz movie. No such luck.

I have a feeling that if Disney does do an Oz attraction, visitors will likely expect it to be like the MGM film. To me, that's the only way to go. And since Indiana Jones and Star Wars are in DHS, perhaps an MGM Oz film attraction would fit in okay there.

I'd still rather have a Fantasia or Poppins ride though.

JustInTime

I hated Return to Oz. Dorothy gets electro-shock treatments. WHA-??? (And that never happened in ANY Oz book. I've read all of them - at least the Baum Oz books). And of course that movie couldn't begin to match the magic of the 1939 version.

I had thought that when DHS was Disney-MGM, there would be perhaps a ride based on the MGM Oz movie. No such luck.

I have a feeling that if Disney does do an Oz attraction, visitors will likely expect it to be like the MGM film. To me, that's the only way to go. And since Indiana Jones and Star Wars are in DHS, perhaps an MGM Oz film attraction would fit in okay there.

I'd still rather have a Fantasia or Poppins ride though.

Well, obviously Disney had some plot holes to fill with void between the two films. Especially since Dorothy wasn't even IN the second Oz book. But overall Disney's creation of what Oz looks like on film is very similar to what I felt when I read the original 14. I'd like to see Oz in some form in the parks. I have always said it. I also think it'd be smart to stay away from the 1939 film since now Universal is selling the film's merch in their gift shops (a right that used to be bestowed upon MGM in the Backlot tour area gift shop). Overall Oz is something that has proven timeless over and over again. And for those who are complaining that Disney should stick to their own, well...Walt secured the sequel rights and they have been nursing under Disney's wing waiting to see fruition. So this franchise is already there.

Ignohippo

From what I understand, the theme park rights are under copyright and have been awarded to a park that's trying to be built in NJ.

There was originally going to be a park in Olathe, KS but the morons in the area were too short-sighted to see what an amazing opportunity this was and the residents wouldn't allow it. The Wonderful World Of Oz was the name and the artwork for it was amazing. I believe Jim Hill did a story on it.

Besides promotion for the movie, this doesn't belong in a Disney park. Disney has too many of its own properties that they are letting die. Iger needs to stop looking outside and needs to take better advantage of what he already has.

As an example, Alice In Wonderland was one of the biggest successes in recent history, yet not a single attraction was built to take advantage of it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom