New Land Suitability Plan

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
I just noticed that the RCID 2032 plan has been made public. I took a look at the land suitability section and there are some changes from the 2020 plan. Of particular interest is the new rating that was introduced and what land moved into this. Here is the description of the ratings:

2020 Plan:

Suitable – Areas given a suitable rating are generally forested uplands, pasture lands, or other undeveloped sites outside the Conservation areas. There are 2,825 acres (19.9 percent of the undeveloped land) in this category. Lands classified as suitable are generally above the 100-year flood elevation. However, in a few instances, corrective drainage improvements would be required prior to construction.

Marginally Suitable – Areas given a marginally suitable rating have identified or recognized constraints for development. This classification corresponds to wetlands that are above the 100-year flood elevation. Development in these areas is strongly discouraged and would require mitigation of wetland impacts above and beyond what is prescribed in the District’s Long Term Permits. There are 2,256 acres in this category or 15.9 percent of the undeveloped land area.

Unsuitable – Land in the unsuitable category has the most restrictive development constraints. It has been applied to wetlands below the 100-year flood elevation and to all wetland and uplands Conservation Areas. Most of the acreage is in the Reedy Creek Swamp. Land with this designation is considered unavailable for development. The 9,093 acres with this designation represent 64.2 percent of the undeveloped land area.

2023 Plan adds this one between Marginally Suitable and Unsuitable

Marginally Unsuitable – Areas given a marginally unsuitable rating have identified or recognized constraints for development. This classification corresponds to wetlands that are within the 100-year flood elevation. Development in these areas is permitted to the extent allowable under the District’s Long Term Permits and require compensating storage to be provided. There are 1,731 acres in this category or 13.0 percent of the undeveloped land area.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Here is the color code for the maps.

1706740057270.png

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Around Magic Kingdom, there are two areas behind the park that have gone from Unsuitable to Marginally Unsuitable. The area at the back of the park between the park and the railroad track has gone from suitable to either Marginally Suitable or Marginally Unsuitable.

1706740090976.png

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
The area around DHS has seen a lot of changes. The area between the park and Victory Way was released from it’s conservation easement a while back and this is now reflected in the map as it has changed from Unsuitable to Marginally Unsuitable. The area on the other side of World Drive now reflects the construction of the fireworks launch are and retention pond. The area beyond this has also gone from Unsuitable to Marginally Unsuitable.

1706740148358.png

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Thanks for posting this! I was literally texting with my son about the 2020 plan and said, "A new one hasn't been released yet) earlier today.

And... I already found a typo. 😂 "These estimates are for flat to a one prevent decline in attendance"

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I'm just curious as to the reason for adding "Marginally Unsuitable". 'Marginally Suitable" would cost truckloads of money to make suitable for development, and this new categorization would seem to be even more pricey to make usable. 🤷‍♂️

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
I'm just curious as to the reason for adding "Marginally Unsuitable". 'Marginally Suitable" would cost truckloads of money to make suitable for development, and this new categorization would seem to be even more pricey to make usable. 🤷‍♂️

As far as I can see it is not addressed directly in the plan. I think they key may be this phrase from the Marginally Unsuitable description "require compensating storage to be provided." This means that if they want to develop this land they have to provide equivalent land elsewhere to offset it. The Marginally Suitable land on the other hand would not need offsets but would still require a lot of storm water control remediation.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
As far as I can see it is not addressed directly in the plan. I think they key may be this phrase from the Marginally Unsuitable description "require compensating storage to be provided." This means that if they want to develop this land they have to provide equivalent land elsewhere to offset it. The Marginally Suitable land on the other hand would not need offsets but would still require a lot of storm water control remediation.
That's what I was surmising as well. Some of the land is straightforward unsuitable, period. The stuff that could maybe kinda sorta possibly be developed someday with a boatload of money and effort will require offsets.

And also - How big is their appetite to buy more land to do those offsets? Right now, I think it's completely off the menu. May as well nip this one in the bud right now, before people see the shades of green (which always baffled me) and think there's plenty of build-able land. :)

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Interesting changes north of Frontierland…
Good catch. I saw the small changes on the lower right of that area but somehow not north of Frontierland. Genuinely wondering if that all but kills their blue sky plans announced for the area? I’d imagine the cost to both make it suitable plus potentially the need to buy more land for offsets (presuming, of course, they wouldn’t give up any suitable land they currently own) would be pretty high.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom