News Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser to permanently close this fall

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Actually, an interesting thought. It would have to be definitely over 21 only. How far would Disney go with such an idea?
I wonder how much they'd charge for General Admission...
general.jpg

Sir_Cliff

The problem is that most people who say this are saying it in defense of the starcruiser.

They’re trying to claim that good guest satisfaction scores means it was a good idea, and that it went out of business because people didn’t get it. I think most people either got it, or didn’t even need to get it to know that they wouldn’t be interested in spending 5-6K for even the most amazing two-day Star Wars experience possible. Disney misjudged the market. The fact that people already willing to spend money on this wound up liking it isn’t really a defense of the idea.
I don't know that many people are saying it was a good idea, even if they enjoyed it. After all, it went out of business.

I think what they're saying is that it was well-executed and that those who experienced it enjoyed it. That's a completely different point than it was a good idea and only failed because people didn't get it. A well-executed concept can still be too expensive, too niche, etc. to work as a business prospect.

JD80

The problem is that most people who say this are saying it in defense of the starcruiser.

They’re trying to claim that good guest satisfaction scores means it was a good idea, and that it went out of business because people didn’t get it. I think most people either got it, or didn’t even need to get it to know that they wouldn’t be interested in spending 5-6K for even the most amazing two-day Star Wars experience possible. Disney misjudged the market. The fact that people already willing to spend money on this wound up liking it isn’t really a defense of the idea.

I don't think anyone is defending the business model, obviously the ROI just isn't there at those price levels. I'm only saying from a creative point of view, Disney knocked it out of the park and that's my point. People are pointing to those line dancing videos as proof that it was a bad product. The product was fantastic, the business model wasn't.

Bocabear

well..."Knocked It Out Of The Park" may be overstating...there was plenty of criticism on the creative side of the equation...whether is was hampered by the financial side, or just a wrong direction.... I have no idea, but it seemed overall to lack something in it's design... I am sure there was plenty they got right...but it was not enough to make a sustainable product.

lewisc

I think Disney’s measure of success would have been that it be 100 percent booked year round with a wait list. It’s obvious this never happened.
100% booking with a wait list wasn't the goal. That level of "success" suggests the experience is way under priced.

Similar to Batgirl. Bean Counters decided to cancel a project for tax reasons.

I think a dinner experience with an overnight stay might have been an option to the full experience. Something like $999 a couple. Offer 2 full voyages and 2 one night packages every week.

The certainty of the tax savings was more attractive then adjusting the experience.

Posters are talking about issues transporting guests. Use a regular bus with blacked out windows.

mightynine

I have this one question to ask:

Do we have any hint of an idea regarding just what is happening to the physical building?
Storage?
Reuse as offices?
Teardown?

The most likely answer is nothing, outside of a possible strip-out of whatever set pieces might be used down the line and then turn off the lights.

JD80

100% booking with a wait list wasn't the goal. That level of "success" suggests the experience is way under priced.

Similar to Batgirl. Bean Counters decided to cancel a project for tax reasons.

I think a dinner experience with an overnight stay might have been an option to the full experience. Something like $999 a couple. Offer 2 full voyages and 2 one night packages every week.

The certainty of the tax savings was more attractive then adjusting the experience.

Posters are talking about issues transporting guests. Use a regular bus with blacked out windows.

Recent surveys that were discussed a week ago on the Disney Dish seem to hint that they are looking for what really made the Starcruiser great. May be a hint that they are boiling down the experience to something shorter like a one night stay or a multi-hour experience. Or a combination of the two.

TheIceBaron

It would be interesting to see if they evaluated how much damage the marketing did to the star cruiser. I was actually excited about the project and was considering going, but after I saw the promotional material it just didn’t look like Star Wars and I lost interest. I also noticed lots of YouTubers ripping it to shreds and I felt like that had a cascading effect on the sentiment around the hotel.

Aside from the price, I feel like lucasfilm still doesn’t quite understand certain things about the franchise and makes absolutely boneheaded decisions. I think that the aesthetic, time period and style of the Star cruiser turned a lot of people away. Unless there is leadership change at lucasfilm I’d rather they just stay away from the parks for a bit.

tomast

As I mention on another thread.

I think that in the short term Disney should turn the Star Wars hotel into a signature dining experience, You can get there by riding the space shuttle that departs from Batuu. When you arrive at the Halcyon, the captain will receive your party and take you on a little tour of the ship before heading to a show meal. After that, you'll go back to Batuu on the space shuttle, and you can keep exploring Batuu.

I know many many people would love to visit the Halcyon but are not willing to pay the cost of staying there.

Of course on the long term they need to find what can be made with the rooms.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom