News Walt Disney Company plans to spend $17 billion at Walt Disney World over the next ten years

Tha Realest

That all said, “I’m a creative” or “What I do is tell stories.”

No. You’re an Excel desk jockey that runs numbers constantly and figures out comps so you know to lock in UNTITLED MARVEL FILM for the last week in April 2026.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Generally speaking, the markets react favorably to job cuts when done to cut costs. Disney’s canceled SWGS, Lake Nona, AND followed through with their job cuts, and the stock is still falling fast.

View attachment 718540
Have you checked out how the markets are doing generally, and media companies specifically?

1685031730484.png

1685032196126.png

1685031806656.png

1685031854116.png

1685031961654.png

Vegas Disney Fan

I'm a semi-Iger fan and in no way can he be considered a creative. (Yes, I know your first paragraph was sarcasm.)

I think both Eisner and Iger highlight how a CEO inevitably transforms from a creative to an accountant over time.

Eisner gave us DLP, the most beautiful park in the world, and eventually gave us DSP, the worst Disney park in the world.

Igers early park transformations were amazing, DCA 2.0 with Carsland, Avatar, New Fantasyland, Star Wars… all were original and incredibly well themed. The latter stuff like Tron, Cosmic Rewind, Marvel, Pixar Pier… they’re all ok but you can tell they were numbers based rather than creative based.

Last edited:

TalkingHead

Hopefully once they start intertwining storylines it’ll come together, right now it feels very disjointed.
They need a hard reset. You can’t attract general audiences in large numbers at this point, forty movie/series deep. There’s more money with casual fans and new fans, not the diehards who show up for anything regardless of quality.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
You keeping posting these charts and I’m not sure you know what they mean.

I’m still waiting for just one explanation from you as to how this proves your point ?
I don't try to help people who post in bad faith to understand. It's so they don't lead the naive astray.

Have a good day!

flynnibus

Premium Member
Generally speaking, the markets react favorably to job cuts when done to cut costs. Disney’s canceled SWGS, Lake Nona, AND followed through with their job cuts, and the stock is still falling fast.

View attachment 718540
Yet, the stock remains with strong targets and recommendations.

We are seeing pressure from all the uncertainty and near-term issues like Hulu-buyout and DeSantis noise. While the street usually likes cuts and re-orgs... Disney's moves here have been huge, but they've also been slow without any sexy new 'direction' to excite investors. The biggest apple being dangled is D+'s expense future.. and I don't think the market is convinced yet. Add in the Hulu uncertainty and you have a bunch of people being cautious vs optimistic.

Right now Disney lacks the punch of a 'bright future' in their DTC segment, so it's easy for people to pile on smaller issues and tilt them to a negative side. With so much yet to come with how the world will transition away from the legacy networks... I think people really are looking at Disney to be the leader in how this will work, and they haven't cracked the code yet. Because they have so much in their portfolio that stands to loose from this transition, they shoulder much of the industry's burden to make this transition work.

These topics are dragging optimism about Disney down - but its not dragging down their fundamentals at the same scale. So this is a market problem - and less a operational issue. When Disney starts paying the dividend, has D+ outlook that is better, and gets the Hulu story behind them they should get back to floating with the market.

Breakout won't happen until they get some sexy DTC story the market will love for the future of media.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Have you checked out how the markets are doing generally, and media companies specifically?

View attachment 718556

View attachment 718562

View attachment 718558

View attachment 718559

View attachment 718561
Yep. Let's look at the 5-year performance of a few things, shall we? (Google only allows 5 items, and for some reason it wouldn't let me add the DJIA. 🤷‍♂️ )

1685033572910.png

A rosy picture of $DIS stock is not possible over the last 5 years. And one could put together a fairly decent argument that DIS's stock price increase under Iger was built on a house of cards, but I leave that to others.

Trauma

I don't try to help people who post in bad faith to understand. It's so they don't lead the naive astray.

Have a good day!
Let me respond to this further.

Let’s just take Comcast’s since they seem relevant.

Comcast is up 10% over the last 6 months.

Disney is down 11%.

Yet you keep posting the Comcast chart to normalize Disneys stock troubles ?

I’m posting in bad faith?

Trauma

Yep. Let's look at the 5-year performance of a few things, shall we? (Google only allows 5 items, and for some reason it wouldn't let me add the DJIA. 🤷‍♂️ )

View attachment 718563

A rosy picture of $DIS stock is not possible over the last 5 years. And one could put together a fairly decent argument that DIS's stock price increase under Iger was built on a house of cards, but I leave that to others.
Stop posting in bad faith.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Let me respond to this further.

Let’s just take Comcast’s since they seem relevant.

Comcast is up 10% over the last 6 months.

Disney is down 11%.

Yet you keep posting the Comcast chart to normalize Disneys stock troubles ?

I’m posting in bad faith?

Comcast 6month is their bottom out... care to look at the shorter or longer periods?

Screenshot 2023-05-25 at 1.07.12 PM.png

Comcast isn't immune from the same come to jesus moments Disney is facing... they just have more tailwinds than headwinds right now with content successes and lower expectations of their streaming. If anything the biggest success they have right now is bang-for-buck in production -- which is where Disney suffered.

But content success can change with the seasons... it's not perpetual.

Stripes

View attachment 718563

Disney has been facing many headwinds in the past 5 years. More than any other media conglomerate, Disney was negatively affected by the pandemic due to the importance of the theme parks to the company’s revenue and bottom line. And just like virtually all media companies, they are facing disruption from streaming and were forced to make an aggressive but necessary change in their distribution strategy. This change was always going to take significant time to pay off.

The companies you’re comparing to Disney largely aren’t facing Disney’s challenges, at least not on the same scale. (Comcast excluded although their business is more diversified with their cable internet business.)

AT&T (before Time Warner sale), Warner Bros Discovery, Paramount Global are all companies facing the same challenges in the media space that Disney is. Their stock performance is much worse than Disney’s.

Trauma

Comcast 6month is their bottom out... care to look at the shorter or longer periods?

View attachment 718567

Comcast isn't immune from the same come to jesus moments Disney is facing... they just have more tailwinds than headwinds right now with content successes and lower expectations of their streaming. If anything the biggest success they have right now is bang-for-buck in production -- which is where Disney suffered.

But content success can change with the seasons... it's not perpetual.
So what timeframe do you want to use ?

5 year

Comcast ⬆️ 23%

Disney ⬇️ 14%

You going to tell me Comcast hasn’t faced any headwinds in the past 5 years ?

Am I really making a bad faith argument here?

flynnibus

Premium Member

5 year

Comcast ⬆️ 23%

Disney ⬇️ 14%

It's not the timeframe as a universal that matters.. since we're talking about an individual company, you should look at the company's whole picture. Focusing on one time reference as the indicator of good/bad doesn't tell you anything unless you happened to be the guy who bought that day and look to sell today.

I mean using that same logic I can say Comcast lost over HALF it's value in a year.. and only now is getting back to where it was THREE YEARS AGO.

See how this works?

Which incidentally... its almost the exact same trajectory DIS had during the same period.

No Disney hasn't recovered the same yet... but all the longs believe it will. It's only people sweating the weeklies that are talking about the end of the world.

Vegas Disney Fan

It's not the timeframe as a universal that matters.. since we're talking about an individual company, you should look at the company's whole picture. Focusing on one time reference as the indicator of good/bad doesn't tell you anything unless you happened to be the guy who bought that day and look to sell today.

I mean using that same logic I can say Comcast lost over HALF it's value in a year.. and only now is getting back to where it was THREE YEARS AGO.

See how this works?

Which incidentally... its almost the exact same trajectory DIS had during the same period.

No Disney hasn't recovered the same yet... but all the longs believe it will. It's only people sweating the weeklies that are talking about the end of the world.

I love Disney but their stock has been stagnant for a decade, unless you’re simply looking for a safe place to park money with no return I don’t understand why anyone would choose their stock over the thousands of better performing stocks.

Trauma

See how this works?

This is also true.

The point I was trying to make is posting a chart of Disney and Comcast and saying, “hey look they are both down today” is a gross oversimplification of what is going on.

Casper Gutman

5 year

Comcast ⬆️ 23%

Disney ⬇️ 14%

What is Comcast’s primary business? Did Covid impact that business in the same way it impacted Disney’s primary business of theme parks and theatrical release films?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom