Universal Announces Texas Resort

JoeCamel

It's also a great place to test out new things for HHN, plus recycle props/stories from HHN to this new fright experience and back. I feel like the experience will also have to be different from HHN as to not draw people away from it.
I feel they have to change it up to keep it fresh, if everyone knows where all the boo holes and gags are it could be really bad really fast

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
Alright, I'm gonna be cheeky - where's all the members on here who told me Disney, who is worth a few billion more than Uni, couldn't afford to build another theme park? What's your excuse now?

It's also worth noting that this new park likely isn't costing that much money (comparatively speaking). From the looks of this, most of the attractions are smaller flat rides just re-themed to Universal properties. There may be a few dark rides, but it looks like they are minimal and (I'd assume) any dark rides that they do build will be relatively simple and/or clones of current dark rides. Most of the rest looks just like food, merchandise, and meet and greets. I could be wrong, but it's not impossible to think that the entire property costs less than they spent building Hagrid's (if the supposed price tag on Hagrid's is accurate).

BrianLo

I definitely see this more as moving into Merlin Entertainment's scope rather than having much impact on Disney. Epic Universe definitely is a different beast.

I also look forward to seeing what comes of this, but it's also likely not something for me.

If Disney ever went regional, I'd hope for more of a 'for everyone' demographic flare. I do think there would be room for them to have a ski resort (with DVC), but I think Aulani has been too slow for them to sell for that to ever really happen.

Animaniac93-98

The problem with Disney is when the public hears "Disney" they think Disneyland/The Magic Kingdom and anything less than that would just be considered lame. Aulani gets by on the fact that it's in Hawaii.

Now NA probably has the population/demand to support a third castle park, but the start up costs would be too much for today's Disney.

Disney's America was the closest we got to a true third theme park complex in North America. I cringe to think what Iger and Chapek would have done to it had it been built.

Animaniac93-98

She needs to be the park mascot

1673643541790.png

celluloid

I have more confidence in the Vegas venture.

Fright Dome was a popular Halloween overlay of Adventuredome than ran for 15 years and only stopped because the then owners of the park and the 3rd party that did Fright had a falling out.

A year-round HHN-type experience (with food, merch and booze) sounds like the right balance between investment amount and revenue potential. Also easier to refresh and keep up to date.

What is funny Universal began this venture with discussing with Adventuredome to rebrand Fright Dome at HHN. Bringing in their branding and expertise and sharing some of the profits.

I am glad they went completely on their own.

If they change it and have more seasonal offerings as they say they are, than it will be a hit as Haunts typically do well at least there and it will keep it fresh for the rest if things stay.

It will be great synergy for properties under Blumhouse when a new movie is a hit or has an expected hit release. It will also have locals driving to it as their seasonal Halloween event of choice because no quality will match it, nor as advertised. A lot of within driving distance from there that won't go all the way to Cali. Locals and those willing to drive will have a great haunt to visit and support.

Vegas research has shown that more than 25 percent of people are not gambling when they visit. A bit of the entertainment focused Vegas is coming back. If this projects to keep happening, building now is a good move and does not need to commit to an entire theme park, just the quality stamp.

Texas is a harder sell for my confidence as well, but I do think if you look at how much Texas is growing, someone had to attempt it. Sea World and Six Flags have survived as Regional parks this long. It is time for someone to class it up and attempt it as population continues to grow. With more millions within driving Distance than Central FL has, it bodes well.

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
So from what I am reading, in four short years Universal will have opened 2
New parks/gates? Wow! This is amazing . They’re just crushing it.

My only hope is that Disney can end their real life soap opera soon enough to get their act together and compete. Then this will be a real win for theme park fans everywhere.

_caleb

So from what I am reading, in four short years Universal will have opened 2
New parks/gates? Wow! This is amazing . They’re just crushing it.

My only hope is that Disney can end their real life soap opera soon enough to get their act together and compete. Then this will be a real win for theme park fans everywhere.
I think it still remains to be seen if Universal is "crushing it."
Some might argue that they're focusing on expansion at the expense of updating/upgrading their existing parks.

I find this Texas mini-park announcement interesting, and I'm glad they're doing something a bit different. But I'm going to wait and see before I declare it a success.

Disstevefan1

This will probably be open before they finish (whatever they are trying to do) in EPCOT.

Fact is, Disney is not in a rush to do anything in EPCOT just as long the food booths can continue to operate.

Last edited:

Jrb1979

Some might argue that they're focusing on expansion at the expense of updating/upgrading their existing parks.

I find this Texas mini-park announcement interesting, and I'm glad they're doing something a bit different. But I'm going to wait and see before I declare it a success.
Once Epic Universe opens they will go back to focusing on their other parks. I love what they are doing. The world always needs more parks.

Disneyhead'71

Original Poster
And I think Universal has one more big announcement coming. There are very strong rumors that they will be reaquiring Port Aventura (AKA Universal Mediterranea) in Spain. I expect the announcement to have Potter and Mario in the advertising logo.

That means that will have bought back most of what Blackstone jettisoned during the dark years (Lockheed Martin Land and Port Aventura.)

Last edited:

JT3000

I think it was time for another park in Orlando. USF could certainly use some work, with some smaller new additions already on the way, but there's not much more you can do with IOA before you start tearing down attractions people actually like just for the sake of updating. Replace the two empty theaters and the park is back to full operational capacity. This isn't like Disney building Animal Kingdom when MGM was still a half-built park at best. They also aren't going to focus solely on Epic Universe once it's open. It took IOA a long while to start getting new attractions after it opened (not counting the two kiddie rides that opened in 2000.) I expect we'll see the same here while they focus on getting USF back up to speed.

Expansion into the Dallas market has no bearing on their other parks, seeing as it's targeting a different demographic. Same goes for Beijing really.

Jrb1979

Unless that is more recent news he bought another smaller park in the area not Marineland. There was a kid or relative of his that posted about it on reddit.
He did buy a smaller park in the area but that one is in the Niagara Falls NY. He is rumored to have bought Marineland as well.

wutisgood

He did buy a smaller park in the area but that one is in the Niagara Falls NY. He is rumored to have bought Marineland as well.
It seems like he is a good dude and has done a great job so far with Indiana beach. It seems like a pretty big risk to buy a park taking care of so many animals though. At least there is hope for this park. The region really has enough visitors that having a pretty substantial park should be sustainable.

BrianLo

but there's not much more you can do with IOA before you start tearing down attractions people actually like just for the sake of updating. Replace the two empty theaters and the park is back to full operational capacity.

I think IOA is subjectively in running for the best park in Orlando, so doesn’t need massive swaths of investment unlike the studios. But there is quite a bit more room than you allude to. There’s room for a marvel E-ticket, a Seuss landing expansion (possibly more with back stage, but without removing really anything). Both Toon Lagoon (Rip Saw Falls / theatre) with somewhat pressing need for a land retheme and the entirety of lost continent. That’s before they really even have to pull a Disneyland and create more space. All of the above from my knowledge has been bandied about in the last decade or so internally.

BrianLo

Yes, I'm kind of curious about this more in terms of whether Universal has more success with regional entertainment venues than Disney ever managed. If I were Disney, I don't think I would be that keen to jump back into that market and instead just watch with interest how Universal manages.

Whether it's Disney or Universal, I'm never going to a regional children's park in Texas, so hard to feel passionate about either of them opening something like this on a personal level. Still, all very interesting!

The more I reflect on this the more I think it’s directionally incongruent with Disney. I think Universal is getting ahead of it that it is a different product entirely. I just don’t think Disney would ever be able to create something like this (which is not a statement on capability and costs, which is a separate issue). You can’t launch a Disneyland with all the headliners stripped out of it and market it just towards little kids. Uni sort of can get away with it as their main parks never really served this demographic correctly.

I think most people here get the fact this likely will not contain anything we’d label an E-ticket. It’s meant to be a ‘nice’ children’s park that can be rolled out for a fraction of the price of their big resorts and can be more easily sold worldwide to partners who aren’t of a Resorts World Sentosa size.

I actually think the two companies directions are sort of diverging outside of Orlando. Upthread someone mentioned the cruise ships and I’d add Lighthouse point, that are probably a larger but directionally separate destination tourism market.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom