runDisney pares back complimentary full-day ticket to half-day for volunteers

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
run running GIF

pdude81

Disney handles the staffing logistics for all sorts of temporary events, even multiple events simultaneously.
Sure and I think they already manage enough for these weekends as well with road closures and additional employees in the parks pre opening. The running events are very different from the usual entertainment and convention events they deal with. The closest they come are sporting events at WWOS, which are smaller in size. And for those Disney really only handles the hospitality portion they specialize in regardless, right?

flynnibus

Premium Member
Please explain to me so I understand why Disney pared back the full day ticket for its volunteers.
Don't make assertions of how someone must behave when you don't know what their constraints are.

How hard is that to grasp? You've spent the last 5 pages writing 'summaries' to spin conversation back to Disney's choice instead of facing your own prior posts.

Disstevefan1

Don't make assertions of how someone must behave when you don't know what their constraints are.

How hard is that to grasp? You've spent the last 5 pages writing 'summaries' to spin conversation back to Disney's choice instead of facing your own prior posts.
I guess there is no answer to my question, "Why Disney pared back the full day ticket for its volunteers?"
Thats OK, I can't imagine why they did it either.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
This makes sense, volunteers WANT TO BE THERE so they accept very odd hours, long shifts etc., various abuses that cast members would not put up with.

This also tells us why Disney pared back the ticket! It's another abuse volunteers would accept.
1670879014973.png

Abuse? Hardly. Volunteers don't show up if you abuse them. Giving a free-entry ticket to a Disney theme park (in addition to other amenities) is NOT abuse.

Now you're just being silly. I no longer believe you really care about the topic at hand -- you're just posting to see yourself post.

Lilofan

This makes sense, volunteers WANT TO BE THERE so they accept very odd hours, long shifts etc., various abuses that cast members would not put up with.

This also tells us why Disney pared back the ticket! It's another abuse volunteers would accept.
You are really reaching for the stars, odd I never encountered abuse when I volunteered. Did you have a bad experience?

bcoachable

I would like to chime in to say that I too volunteer (endurance MTB race in SW Co). It’s very rewarding all in itself. Perks include a t-shirt and pizza. After reading some of y’all’s responses, I asked myself how I would feel if we didn’t get the pizza and t-shirt. I have decided I would still volunteer, but it sure is a NICE GESTURE on the races part to do so. This can’t be much skin off Disney’s nose to do so, I find them in “Bad Form” for this move. Any Run Disney volunteers on here, I’d love to hear your personal thoughts and experiences!

Disstevefan1

View attachment 684785

Abuse? Hardly. Volunteers don't show up if you abuse them. Giving a free-entry ticket to a Disney theme park (in addition to other amenities) is NOT abuse.

Now you're just being silly. I no longer believe you really care about the topic at hand -- you're just posting to see yourself post.
I surrender 🏳️. In my opinion, Disney was wrong to pare back the ticket to volunteers.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I guess there is no answer to my question, "Why Disney pared back the full day ticket for its volunteers?"
Thats OK, I can't imagine why they did it either.

Why? Lots of potential reasons
Can we say for sure? Not until someone at Disney spills the beans.

But that doesn't mean we get to make up our own unilateral assertions and claim its done to 'maximize profit' like you have.

Disstevefan1

Why? Lots of potential reasons
Can we say for sure? Not until someone at Disney spills the beans.

But that doesn't mean we get to make up our own unilateral assertions and claim its done to 'maximize profit' like you have.
I surrender 🏳️ . In my opinion, Disney was wrong to pare back the ticket to volunteers.

LSLS

So, I'll admit I probably don't have the full story, and without straying into the volunteer stuff, I will say I find it bad form Disney let people assume they would have the same perks they normally get. Now, I don't know if they let people know before races that "You will get a shirt and a park ticket." or they just say "We will show our appreciation" or whatever, but if people historically got tickets, and you decided not to give those same tickets anymore for the volunteers for whatever reason, I do think it would have been the right thing to be upfront about it. Maybe they were and the article just makes it sound different, but just based on that article, it's kind of a BS thing to do in my eyes.

JMcMahonEsq

I didn't find the IRS guidance all that confusing. $200 is low, considering the IRS doesn't require 1099s until you hit the $600 mark. As long as you don't give them cash or negotiable items, and keep the gifts in the low FMV-zone, there's no reporting requirement. A $10 t-shirt and free snacks along with a digital participation certificate certainly won't break that limitation.

A time limited ticket -- after 1300 at a Disney park -- would likely value somewhere around $100 these days... and you could argue that the value could fluctuate significantly depending on which park you used the ticket in (based on hours of operation/rides available/time of year). Throw in a $10 shirt, free snacks and a digital certificate -- you're still well under the $600 limit, and nobody could reasonably argue the volunteers would be able to convert any of those items to cash payouts, not even the time-limited park admission ticket.
The IRS regulations are for $600 per year, not per transaction (i will admit I am going by memory here and didn't double check that.) With 3-4 Run Disney events, and what i am assuming are frequent volunteers who do multiple events per year, at $200 bucks per ticket you start getting awfully close to that $600 number. I don't seen anyone wanted to go through the administrative effort of tracking volunteers, to see who is getting close to the $600 mark in order to 1099. Much easier to reduce the value of the stipend/gift such that if you assume a volunteer worked every run disney event, they would still not exceed the 1099 threshold.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom