News Disney CEO Bob Chapek suggests price hikes are coming to the parks thanks to guest demand

flynnibus

Premium Member
"Commuting" from West Clock is paid time, and it only applies to Magic Kingdom CMs anyways.

And where they park vs that?
Just the commute around the wdw boundary itself is longer than most people would drive to their fast food job.

And iirc… travel time is very limited.

In 2022? Equal.
Wrong
Proportional to staffing levels, yes.
Wrong

When was the last time you were in your sheetz and mcdonlands and saw the line 15+ deep for 7hrs straight?

They used to.
They still do. Schedule availability. Appearance standards. Union constraints. Working conditions (outdoors, etc), crowd levels, customer service expectations, knowledge expectations, etc. all while pay wages that are comparable (at best) with jobs requiring none of that.
They don't.

They pay crap wages with golden expectations. They have boutique expectations with walmart economic policies

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
And where they park vs that?
Just the commute around the wdw boundary itself is longer than most people would drive to their fast food job.
Who commutes around the boundary? If you live South of property you take World Drive straight up the gut. If you live North of property you come in the back.

When was the last time you were in your sheetz and mcdonlands and saw the line 15+ deep for 7hrs straight?
15+ deep for 7 hours straight? Give me a break.

As someone who has worked in the parks and in a McDonald's, McDonald's ain't easier.

They still do. Schedule availability. Appearance standards. Union constraints. Working conditions (outdoors, etc), crowd levels, customer service expectations, knowledge expectations, etc. all while pay wages that are comparable (at best) with jobs requiring none of that.

They pay crap wages with golden expectations. They have boutique expectations with walmart economic policies
They pay entry level wages with entry level expectations. The only standard that's unique is a higher expectation for friendliness. As long as you're cheerful, you don't actually have to be good.

You sure?
Last I checked (though I don't remember the position), Uni was paying $14.25 for a role WDW was paying $15.00 for.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Who commutes around the boundary? If you live South of property you take World Drive straight up the gut. If you live North of property you come in the back.

'the commute around' as in 'the --various-- commutes people must take to reach the WDW locations'. Even for the rear MK entrance which is close to the boundary the rear entrance of MK is still rather isolated. And 'straight up the gut' is still a 10-15min drive just on WDW property.

They pay entry level wages with entry level expectations. The only standard that's unique is a higher expectation for friendliness. As long as you're cheerful, you don't actually have to be good.

I guess your mindset is also why traditions keeps getting reduced. And I hope the next time your experience is only as good as McDonalds you remember your Disney expectations.

hopemax

Got a text message from friend who continually has “soda” issues at WDW. Yesterday, she was refilling her resort mug and the Cherry Coke dispenser was dispensing rootbeer. On her previous trip she had to make due with a half glass of Orange, because the Coke ones she tried were out of syrup, and the machine cut her off (using a regular cup which limits refills to 3, which she burned trying to find a working Coke) and the CM didn’t know what to do to fix the situation.

Haven’t run into these situations at McDonald’s yet. Sometimes a flavor is out, but they will fill from the drive-thru machine and get someone to fix the lobby machine. Not stand there like a deer in the headlights because they don’t know what to do and there is no one to ask.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
I guess your mindset is also why traditions keeps getting reduced. And I hope the next time your experience is only as good as McDonalds you remember your Disney expectations.
When did I say anything about my expectations? I'm describing what Disney's expectations are for their cast members, not what Disney's expectations ought to be for their cast members.

What is so disturbing to me is the only reason I am hearing is "high guest demand" Not that they want to use it to give raises or improve on maintaining the parks much less something new! A resort for the rich and famous is far from Walt's dream!

Beacon Joe

You all see the NY Post article published a few days ago?

"Disney World prices up 3,871% in 50 years — more than wages, rent and gas"

disney-world-price-inflation-01.jpg

JMcMahonEsq

What is so disturbing to me is the only reason I am hearing is "high guest demand" Not that they want to use it to give raises or improve on maintaining the parks much less something new! A resort for the rich and famous is far from Walt's dream!
The only reason to raise prices is high guest demand. That's how the market works. If people are willing to pay more for your product, you raise the price. If people aren't willing to pay more, you keep the price flat. If demand is weakening, you lower prices. How is running a business disturbing?

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
I’ve lived here for 30+ years and i think all this talk is wack.

My condolences. I still have relatives near Middleburg which hasn't turned into urban sprawl yet, but it's only a matter of time. I however lived quite a bit closer to DC, in Rossyln right across Key Bridge from George Town.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Why in the world would prices for an amusement park have any correlation to rent, wages, or gasoline prices.

It shows how the price of a common luxury is trending far more than other normal inflationary pressures.

It's not like Disney tickets are some how new commodity trying to find it's market equilibrium. There is still a story that Disney prices are escalating even compared to itself.

Difference is now Disney is obfuscating the price increases more by burying costs in more than just ticket prices.. which is the most readily accessible trend metric people have used to trend disney.

Beacon Joe

Why in the world would prices for an amusement park have any correlation to rent, wages, or gasoline prices.

Yes, It's a flawed graph, but I thought it was a fun and relevant graph.. YMMV, obviously.

I just find it interesting to reflect on the consumer's decision making process.

flynnibus

Premium Member
My condolences. I still have relatives near Middleburg which hasn't turned into urban sprawl yet, but it's only a matter of time. I however lived quite a bit closer to DC, in Rossyln right across Key Bridge from George Town.
I'm inbetween those :) The types that beat Disney are the types that still fight to keep towns like Middleburg the one-stop light village it is. The population growth and wealth growth has just been too big for the 'no development' advocates to hold off. What used to a remote old railroad stop in Manasses now has 800k tract homes on .15 acre lots. The residential boom can not be contained.

Obviously arlington/alexandria are fed and contractor hotbeds.. I mean it's the immediate boroughs directly outside the nation's capital :) I mean.. its like complaining brooklyn or Jersey City is too urban... they were the sisters to NYC. The area is quite diverse with tech+defense+federals+contractors both fed and civvie. It's one of the homes of the internet. Loudoun County is the biggest Data Center market in the country.. bigger than #2-5 COMBINED and still growing like mad. AWS, Google, Microsoft, etc continue to expand here.

Other major companies like Audi/VW have also made the area their new HQ as Virginia tries to pitch itself as biz friendly and the population base being a good worker pool. Obviously going deep in the Amazon HQ2 circus was a reflection of that too.. even with the reduced plans they are continuing with in Arlington.

Crystal City pivoted hard when the DoD contracted and relocated commands during BRAC and other changes. Amazon is probably the first big win for them in a long time after so much fleeing of major office space.

EPCOT-O.G.

Difference is now Disney is obfuscating the price increases more by burying costs in more than just ticket prices.. which is the most readily accessible trend metric people have used to trend disney.
Yep. Variable pricing is one part of that. Presumably G+ and ILL purchases, and parking fees for resort guests, also don't factor in.

Lilofan

15+ deep for 7 hours straight? Give me a break.

As someone who has worked in the parks and in a McDonald's, McDonald's ain't easier.

Last I checked (though I don't remember the position), Uni was paying $14.25 for a role WDW was paying $15.00 for.
WDW may pay a little more than UO but deduct weekly union dues on the WDW paycheck adds up .

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom