News Walt Disney World to resume sales of Annual Passes (New sales resume April 20, 2023)

bhg469

Correct. You're stuck buying that one, but when you renew you can change to anything. And you can always beg at the booth and see if they'd let you upgrade to knock out blackout dates.
I doubt they have the ability to upgade. I would assume the inventory is completely take out of their system. You could try to upgrade if they ever become available again but I just don't see it happening..

pdude81

I doubt they have the ability to upgade. I would assume the inventory is completely take out of their system. You could try to upgrade if they ever become available again but I just don't see it happening..
For an upgrade ag GS you may be right. I haven't known anyone to try it. As far as renewal, the program currently allows anyone with an annual pass to switch to any of the other tiers they would normally qualify for.

Gillyanne

For an upgrade ag GS you may be right. I haven't known anyone to try it. As far as renewal, the program currently allows anyone with an annual pass to switch to any of the other tiers they would normally qualify for.

When I called to renew my pass back in the spring (WDS to Pixie), they explicitly told me I could not upgrade if the pass I wanted to upgrade to was not available for sale at the desired upgrade time. And can confirm my mom's current renewal does show all options available to renew to from her previous Gold pass.

pdude81

When I called to renew my pass back in the spring (WDS to Pixie), they explicitly told me I could not upgrade if the pass I wanted to upgrade to was not available for sale at the desired upgrade time. And can confirm my mom's current renewal does show all options available to renew to from her previous Gold pass.
I'm sorry to hear this. I have been able to buy upgrade certificates for different pass types twice in the past year. Most recently in May. This last one was a downgrade from Platinum to Sorcerer.

I've seen some people have issues trying to renew early so they could make park reservations, but no one else that I'm aware of had any issue renewing inside the window and switching tiers. The only thing you can't do is go back in time to the Plat/Gold/Silver they used to sell.

Gillyanne

I'm sorry to hear this. I have been able to buy upgrade certificates for different pass types twice in the past year. Most recently in May. This last one was a downgrade from Platinum to Sorcerer.

I've seen some people have issues trying to renew early so they could make park reservations, but no one else that I'm aware of had any issue renewing inside the window and switching tiers. The only thing you can't do is go back in time to the Plat/Gold/Silver they used to sell.

Sorry I worded that bad (shouldn't multitask on the boards while at work I guess); when I called to renew, I could have picked whichever type I wanted, even though IIRC at the time none were available. This is also what I'm seeing on my mom's current renewal (all available even though not for 1st time purchase) . But once I renewed/committed to the pass type on renewal, I could not upgrade that new year's pass unless what I wanted to upgrade to was available when looking to upgrade. We do WDS/Pixie anyway so it worked out well. Mom only has/had the Gold pass b/c for the price difference, the inclusion of pictures was worth it for us. This time when she renews next week, she'll get the pixie with the PP add on.

Hopefully rewording clears it up, basically I feel I was agreeing/confirming what you previously posted as my experience as well.

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
I've been told two different things by two CMs when recently renewing from gold.

One said that when renewing into sorcerer/incredipass (only ones I could do) it was a one time choice and it could not be changed if the pass wanting to change to was not being sold as new. I directly asked if I'd be stuck at the level the next time I'd need to renew and new passes were not being offered and was told "yes."

The second CM straight said "the mouse will help you find a way to upgrade" if selecting sorcerer and wanting to upgrade, implying Disney will work to help you spend more money. Downgrading to a lower level at renewal time was unclear.

Surprise surprise info CMs have is inconsistent.

jaxonp

Don’t understand why APs have to be this difficult. Me and my friends went 5-6 times a year, stayed at the resorts and spent loads of money on food and merch. I’ve only returned once since my AP expired early last year with no plans to return until next year right now. I wonder how many people are in a similar boat.

bhg469

I just moved down here, hoping that the AP's come back soon. so frustrating.
Welcome! We moved down here a year ago.. We ended up getting ours in September last year but have made some friends that are looking to get their own passes so we can go to the parks together.. They are in the same boat as you. If they do sell them again, you probably need to jump on them very quickly as I doubt they will be for sale very long.

Welcome! We moved down here a year ago.. We ended up getting ours in September last year but have made some friends that are looking to get their own passes so we can go to the parks together.. They are in the same boat as you. If they do sell them again, you probably need to jump on them very quickly as I doubt they will be for sale very long.
thank you! and yes I'm monitoring every Disney news site and twitter every day!

You can purchase the Pixie dust pass now! Yes, I know its weekday only and have a bunch of blackouts, but all WDW APs offer free parking if/when the good passes return, I presume you can upgrade to one of those?
Hey - yes I considered this - but there's conflicting info about upgrading I can't get a straight answer lol

Disstevefan1

Hey - yes I considered this - but there's conflicting info about upgrading I can't get a straight answer lol
I hear ya. In the past you could always upgrade passes but we aint in 2019 no more... :(.

I know depending on who you talk to you will get a different answer, but did you stop by the ticket place in Disney Springs and talk to them in person to ask what todays policy is about pass upgrades?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Don’t understand why APs have to be this difficult. Me and my friends went 5-6 times a year, stayed at the resorts and spent loads of money on food and merch. I’ve only returned once since my AP expired early last year with no plans to return until next year right now. I wonder how many people are in a similar boat.
The overwhelming majority of APers are locals. While some are big spenders in the parks, others go once a week making each visit cost less than $20. And they eat at home or locally rather than the overpriced food venues in the parks. And they're not leaving with bags of merch each visit. And they go when its crowded (that's why lower tiers had blackout dates).

So, it's those local APers that are the issue.

Now, for you and me who do several week-long trips to WDW are probably very much treasured by Disney since we live in the bubble for a week. The AP was, in effect, a discount on tickets for us, but we get lumped in with the local APers (in fact, local APs can go even more cheaply because of FL discounts).

It'd be nice if Disney instituted a type of membership club that gave a discount to tickets so that those who go several times throughout the year can get back their frequent-guest discount. (In fact, such a thing would solve all the AP issues, IMO.)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom