News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind Virtual Queue and Lightning Lane status

TheMaxRebo

If there are extended evening hours, does that have any impact on the 1 PM availability?

We don't have a lot of data but so far it does seem to impact the 1pm drop

That could be that they release fewer to ensure they get through them all/ clear the queue prior to the deluxe extra hours, or could just be that Epcot is more crowded on those days b/c of the extra hours so more people trying for them, or a combination

If this does hold it would indicate that if you aren't eligible for the extra hours you might want to avoid Mondays at Epcot if securing a VQ is important

gerarar

Premium Member
If there are extended evening hours, does that have any impact on the 1 PM availability?
To echo what was already said, this past Monday (6/6) had 1pm's drop go much faster than the days preceding it (and come after), but it was still open for a couple minutes, which should be plenty of time if you do it right on time.

Here's a graph that illustrates it.
scatter_plot-4.png

TheMaxRebo

I personally think they'll wait until after the holiday season to move Guardians to a standby queue, but that's just intuition

Very well may be the case and is completely independent of the change to G+ / ILL ... Probably more to run with if they just feel still needed/useful or not

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
If anyone was curious, you do not have to physically be in EPCOT to get a 1 pm boarding group, as long as you have tapped into EPCOT at some point before 1 pm. I was just able to join from home.
Good to know, thanks!

UNCgolf

Is this a sign that the ride is less popular than Rise? I think Rise was out of availability within a few seconds even at the 1 PM time a year+ after opening.

There are other potential explanations, though -- I imagine it has a smaller potential rider base than Rise due to being a roller coaster, which eliminates potential riders (which is one of the reasons building a lot of coasters doesn't make much sense for WDW). It also has a slightly higher height restriction than Rise.

mightynine

Is this a sign that the ride is less popular than Rise? I think Rise was out of availability within a few seconds even at the 1 PM time a year+ after opening.

There are other potential explanations, though -- I imagine it has a smaller potential rider base than Rise due to being a roller coaster, which eliminates potential riders (which is one of the reasons building a lot of coasters doesn't make much sense for WDW). It also has a slightly higher height restriction than Rise.
Could be any number of reasons. Might be the overall number of people heading to Epcot that day isn't enough to blast through the 1pm group and considering the tap-in requirement, it's not like park-hoppers have a shot at it.

UNCgolf

Could be any number of reasons. Might be the overall number of people heading to Epcot that day isn't enough to blast through the 1pm group and considering the tap-in requirement, it's not like park-hoppers have a shot at it.

I thought about that, but it seems like Rise attracted people to DHS specifically to ride it. That makes it seem like Guardians isn't doing that for EPCOT.

correcaminos

7am drop lasted for 6.476 secs.

BG's 1-20 called at 8:11am as part of the initial wave.
It was 8:10 per my clock. With a return by 9:10 window still showing on my tablet. We had slow monorails so didn't get in until just after 8:30. Still a walk on for us and even opted not to use DAS for it so we could finally see 3rd queue

mightynine

I thought about that, but it seems like Rise attracted people to DHS specifically to ride it. That makes it seem like Guardians isn't doing that for EPCOT.
But that was a whole land being pushed and I don't think GOTG has had nearly as big as a PR push, since it's been lumped into the overall 50th stuff.

doctornick

It seems to have higher capacity than Rise as well. And fewer breakdowns so they may be distributing comparatively more boarding passes.

But I think self selection is the major factor - People who can't or don't want to ride because it is a roller coaster or don't meet the height restriction. The latter could also affect groups if there is a member of the family that can't ride, they all might forgo it.

J4546

Now lets build our own viersion of Camp Discovery with a river rapids ride intertwining it in the expansion plot between land and seas pavilion

TheMaxRebo

Just to add to what others have said, I think Rise is just a unique situation and such a different experience with all the different elements.

As great as Guardians is, there are other coaster experiences that you can have - I mean, just recently Universal opened Hagrids and VelociCoaster - Guardians is different, sure, but it isn't *that* different... Rise was like nothin else

Combined with not everyone being able to or wanting to do something with the thrill of Guardians and Guardians has a higher capacity (around 2,500 / hours vs around 1,500) and so each spot isn't as in demand

UNCgolf

But I think self selection is the major factor - People who can't or don't want to ride because it is a roller coaster or don't meet the height restriction. The latter could also affect groups if there is a member of the family that can't ride, they all might forgo it.

I think so too, which goes to show that coasters aren't really the best idea for Disney.

That's not to say they shouldn't build the occasional coaster -- having a couple in each park is fine, especially if they keep them well-themed and/or enclosed -- but they probably need at least five or six other new attractions for every coaster they build. Whenever they decide to build another new attraction at AK, for example, it probably should not be a coaster unless they're also building at least two or three other non-coasters along with it.

doctornick

I think so too, which goes to show that coasters aren't really the best idea for Disney.

That's not to say they shouldn't build the occasional coaster -- having a couple in each park is fine, especially if they keep them well-themed and/or enclosed -- but they probably need at least five or six other new attractions for every coaster they build. Whenever they decide to build another new attraction at AK, for example, it probably should not be a coaster unless they're also building at least two or three other non-coasters along with it.
I wouldn't be word it so strongly and as with most Disney coasters, this still seems to be something a large majority of guests can do. I think Tron is the better target for a "does this make sense for Disney" in terms of both accessibility (height restriction, guest size, intensity) as well as park need.

That said, I think Epcot actually did need a coaster or something higher thrill level and this balances other offerings well (as does Ratatouille).

But to your point, I don't think any park really "needs" a coaster as an upcoming addition. Both DHS and DAK actually would benefit from having some low (no) thrill level rides that all ages and ride tolerance can enjoy. MK has enough variety that I don't think it needs any particular thing, but given Tron impending, I would focus on something like a sedate dark ride for Frontierland if I had my choice.

Or, for that matter, bringing back the Main Street Theater idea. Honestly, all the non-MK parks could benefit from more fixed shows, whether Animatronic, 4D movie or live performance. Indoor shows are a good way to "complete" lands with something that tends to have low waits and get you out of the sun or rain. MK basically has such options in every land, would be nice to have something like that in the other parks consistently (e.g. in Pandora or Asia in DAK; in Galaxy's Edge or TSL in DHS)

UNCgolf

I wouldn't be word it so strongly and as with most Disney coasters, this still seems to be something a large majority of guests can do.

I agree that a large majority can do it, but with coasters, there's also a population that just won't ride regardless of whether they can physically do it. I'm partially in that population -- most the coasters at Disney are fine to me and I'll ride them (although I wouldn't wait very long to do it because coasters just aren't very interesting to me), but I wouldn't ride something like Rip Ride Rockit even if it was a walk-on.

I think WDW attracts a much higher percentage of those guests than any other park because it's always been heavy on non-thrill attractions.

On a completely separate note, if the afternoon boarding groups are available for an hour (regardless of the ride), to me that signifies the ride should be open for standby after the morning groups are called.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom