News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

castlecake2.0

Original Poster
In order for the Legislature to dissolve an active independent special district created and operating pursuant to a special act, the special act dissolving the active independent special district must be approved by a majority of the resident electors of the district or, for districts in which a majority of governing body members are elected by landowners, a majority of the landowners voting in the same manner by which the independent special district’s governing body is elected. If a local general-purpose government passes an ordinance or resolution in support of the dissolution, the local general-purpose government must pay any expenses associated with the referendum required under this paragraph.

^
from a Florida statute in regards to special districts. So it looks like this is the roadblock that will stop it from actually happening. I doubt anyone living in the district would vote to dissolve it.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Disney sells off the parks business.

Maybe Elon will buy it.

1650482137933.png

Magenta Panther

Looks like Chapek poked the wrong bear. The idiot. The political pendulum is indeed swinging back, and swinging back hard.

Next, some lawmakers are talking about ending "Disney's" copyright to Mickey Mouse. Now, for my part, I don't want that to happen. I shudder to think what some people would do to the Mouse. I would be thrilled if Mickey belongs to his parent company for perpetuity. But the lawmakers could absolutely end the copyright, from what I understand, and I don't think there's much that "Disney" could do about it. Perhaps I'm wrong. I hope so. But this is what comes of boneheads who live in a bubble failing to read the room. Chapek should have stuck with his original statement regarding that so-called "Don't Say Gay" bill (yes, I know that's not what the bill is about). But he didn't, and now DeSantis has opened a can of whoopass on him. Maybe something good will come of all this. But frankly, I feel like hunkering down in a bunker right now until this mess blows over...

lazyboy97o

Looks like Chapek poked the wrong bear. The idiot. The political pendulum is indeed swinging back, and swinging back hard.

Next, some lawmakers are talking about ending "Disney's" copyright to Mickey Mouse. Now, for my part, I don't want that to happen. I shudder to think what some people would do to the Mouse. I would be thrilled if Mickey belongs to his parent company for perpetuity. But the lawmakers could absolutely end the copyright, from what I understand, and I don't think there's much that "Disney" could do about it. Perhaps I'm wrong. I hope so. But this is what comes of boneheads who live in a bubble failing to read the room. Chapek should have stuck with his original statement regarding that so-called "Don't Say Gay" bill (yes, I know that's not what the bill is about). But he didn't, and now DeSantis has opened a can of whoopass on him. Maybe something good will come of all this. But frankly, I feel like hunkering down in a bunker right now until this mess blows over...
Copyright is a federal issue, not a state issue.

Nordic4tKnight

At one time, I would have hated that. But after seeing what greedy soulless a-holes like Iger have done to the parks, I'd be thrilled if an entity like the OLC would buy it. Or any company that respects Walt's vision instead of just parroting it for good PR. Interesting times ahead, kids...
That would never happen in the US. Japan is a very unique beast in terms of corporations and corporate ownership. Something like OLC would never happen here.

Rickcat96

Disney just created another Lighting Lane that someone else pays for their goof ups-brilliant.

Florida law states in order to rescind this-must be done in the same legislative process. Ready Creek was not created under a "special" session as this fake vote was done

lordsigma

Obviously independent people have the right to criticize Disney all day long for making a public statement on a controversial issue as well as punish them with their wallets - but this kind of punitive action by government seems wrong. Chances are this will pass and the state house will claim its victory. But then they'll quietly defang the proposal and keep most of the critical pieces of the district in place before the June of next year deadline.

ctrlaltdel

There has been some really solid political analysis. Some really smooth brained stuff too on Disney moving WDW as if that is plausible. Again this is likely a short-term win for DeSantis and nothing of permanence is going to come from this.

Think the obvious thing for Disney to react is to cancel their planned East Coast HQ in Orlando. Think of it as a sunk cost. Politics is a rough game and both Disney and DeSantis clearly aren’t going anyway anytime soon. Pretty sure DeSantis was all up in front of that as a big development win when that was announced.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom