How many runDisney miles have you run?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FerretAfros

Time to add 48.6 for my Dopey as well. 795.5 + 48.6 = 844.1

Did we ever make a determination on whether we're counting distance for virtual races? I completed my 2021 miles in WDW (5K and 10K around the Animal Kingdom Lodge parking lot, Half at Fort Wilderness, and Full around Crescent Lake and Epcot), but something about it still doesn't quite feel right to include in these totals, since I was essentially running by myself each day, rather than a true in-person race experience

surfsupdon

Time to add 48.6 for my Dopey as well. 795.5 + 48.6 = 844.1

Did we ever make a determination on whether we're counting distance for virtual races? I completed my 2021 miles in WDW (5K and 10K around the Animal Kingdom Lodge parking lot, Half at Fort Wilderness, and Full around Crescent Lake and Epcot), but something about it still doesn't quite feel right to include in these totals, since I was essentially running by myself each day, rather than a true in-person race experience
Congrats! We decided it is totally up to you. Many do include the distances. I do not. I want to maintain mine as in-park runDisney miles. There is no incorrect answers.

Figment82

Congrats! We decided it is totally up to you. Many do include the distances. I do not. I want to maintain mine as in-park runDisney miles. There is no incorrect answers.
Same with me, I like to keep mine as all true in-person races. There is no right or wrong here - it’s all in fun. My total mileage is wacky because I counted the exact distance of the W&D “half” half, but I’m a dork like that. 🤓

OG Runner

My opinion, which I know I have expressed before is that Disney miles are miles completed at Disney. (Any of the in-person races)
I have seen requests for miles being added for 2020 virtual races being completed now?!?!? I understand the miles were completed,
but I ran a 17 mile training run in November. I didn't add more Disney miles. Again, my opinion being restated again.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
My opinion, which I know I have expressed before is that Disney miles are miles completed at Disney. (Any of the in-person races)
I have seen requests for miles being added for 2020 virtual races being completed now?!?!? I understand the miles were completed,
but I ran a 17 mile training run in November. I didn't add more Disney miles. Again, my opinion being restated again.

The virtual races are Disney races. You pay a registration fee to runDisney. You receive medals from runDisney. The virtual races show up in your runDisney account. You report your date and time to runDisney.

No one counts a training run towards their Disney miles.

OG Runner

The virtual races are Disney races. You pay a registration fee to runDisney. You receive medals from runDisney. The virtual races show up in your runDisney account. You report your date and time to runDisney.

No one counts a training run towards their Disney miles.

I understand that. I ran the Lion King virtual series during the past summer with my girlfriend. We ran 3 5ks, reported our times
and received our medals. I did not add 9.3 Disney miles. I also ran the races in the expected time between June & August. I did
not run and record the miles months and months after the in-person event and say I ran that event.
I know my opinion may not be popular. I started running in 1975. I have run races in snow storms, through down pours and in
brutal heat. I ran through these conditions because that was when the race was run. There wasn't an option of running it when
you felt like and getting the same credit. Again, in my opinion, it is not the same.

Surferboy567

The thing is, I don’t view normal training runs as virtual races per say. I see them as separate categories all together.

Yes, it’s not done in a race environment with spectators and the like. I guess my effort level is different when I put it in my head on running a RACE (virtually or not) versus normal training runs.

A race is a race for me virtual or not, but I do understand this argument.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I understand that. I ran the Lion King virtual series during the past summer with my girlfriend. We ran 3 5ks, reported our times
and received our medals. I did not add 9.3 Disney miles. I also ran the races in the expected time between June & August. I did
not run and record the miles months and months after the in-person event and say I ran that event.
I know my opinion may not be popular. I started running in 1975. I have run races in snow storms, through down pours and in
brutal heat. I ran through these conditions because that was when the race was run. There wasn't an option of running it when
you felt like and getting the same credit. Again, in my opinion, it is not the same.

You do realize this is all voluntary, correct? And on the honor system. No one checks to see if we actually ran...and completed...the races on property.

And when I did the virtual races in 2020 and 2021, I did them in the same weather the on property races experience. And we have REAL hills in NW Florida.

OG Runner

You do realize this is all voluntary, correct? And on the honor system. No one checks to see if we actually ran...and completed...the races on property.

And when I did the virtual races in 2020 and 2021, I did them in the same weather the on property races experience. And we have REAL hills in NW Florida.

Yes, I do realize and no, you do not have REAL hills. 😂 😂 😂

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Yes, I do realize and no, you do not have REAL hills. 😂 😂 😂
Bad Joke Youre Not Funny GIF by Tokyo Cowboys

Demarke

Have I told you lately that I 👍 you?
Premium Member
Just my 2 cents, but I asked the same question when I started submitting my miles (whether the Star Wars virtual counted since it was part of the Kessel Run challenge). I was told "yes" because it is Disney sanctioned, you ran the miles, received a medal, and (not that it matters all that much) virtual was the only option to run those miles, you could not do them in a real race setting on course.

The virtual 5K series were given a short timeframe to submit times (which is now closed), the Club runDisney virtual 10K was given a month window to submit a time (which is now closed). The larger races that went virtual were given a much wider timeframe to submit times. I just logged into my runDisney account and it appears that the window for the "big four" to run your races and submit times is one year. I could go in and enter or edit my times for Star Wars 2021 right now (January 13, 2022) if I wanted to, the window is not closed.

It's really "to each their own," I probably won't do any more virtual races because I don't like being tied to a specific mileage when I run on my own. But for the ones I did (and the live ones that got converted to virtual), I planned out routes to hit a specific mileage, planned out where along the route I would park so that I could have my own water/food stops by passing my car on various parts of the routes and loops, and I ran and submitted times within the window officially endorsed and allowed by runDisney (which, again, is one year for the big four challenge weekends). These are things I don't ever do for training runs. I didn't run my Star Wars races on the official race weekend, but then again, Disney didn't have an onsite race weekend, so they didn't run it that weekend either!! When vacations get cancelled, other things tend to get in the way, so finding a weekend to run three distances over three days becomes more of a challenge.

Granted if I signed up for a live race and either didn't attend or didn't finish, I wouldn't count those miles. But if you signed up to run a Disney virtual race, if you paid $75, $100, $125+ to runDisney per virtual race (I don't know about you, but I don't spend $100+ on something and consider it or treat it as a training run), and if you ran those miles before the window to submit times set by Disney expires; then, by God, those are Disney miles if you want them to be and you've earned those miles through both your sweat and labor (from financially saving up to do them all).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom