Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Is that what was said exactly? Or just that a 1/3 of guests have used it? There's a difference in semantics here. Yes, 1/3 guests may have used G+ but it doesn't mean everyday, a 1/3 of guests have access to LL through the upcharge (they may have only purchased it for one day of their trip; one specific day for example launch day, a third of guests may have used G+ - lots of potential manipulation possible here).
Chapek went out of his way to emphasize 33% every day even if it meant people were buying it multiple days.

Chapek went out of his way to emphasize 33% every day even if it meant people were buying it multiple days.
This is what he said according to the transcript: "There was a reference and I am not sure if everyone appreciates the gravity of this to the Genie+ success, 1/3 of our guests at Walt Disney World, are buying the Genie+ upgrade at $15, that's per guest, per day." He's saying that 1/3 of guests are buying the upgrade but not necessarily everyday. He's placed the cost next to the figure to suggest it is everyday, however. It's quite clever.

disneygeek90

This is what he said according to the transcript: "There was a reference and I am not sure if everyone appreciates the gravity of this to the Genie+ success, 1/3 of our guests at Walt Disney World, are buying the Genie+ upgrade at $15, that's per guest, per day." He's saying that 1/3 of guests are buying the upgrade but not necessarily everyday. He's placed the cost next to the figure to suggest it is everyday, however. It's quite clever.
It’s still 1/3 every day. Doesn’t have to be the same guests.

Cesar R M

Folks who know have told us that this is why WDW inflated waits 10 or 15 minutes. But RotR and other headlines are routinely inflated about 250%.

And Disney could get very, very accurate measurements if they wanted… almost every guest is wearing a tracker on their arm!

Maybe at one point the motivation for inflated lines was more crowd manipulation, pushing folks to less popular rides (seems odd to invest billions in complicated systems to do that if inaccurate numbers on a board worked). But now, those inaccurate numbers absolutely drive guests to give WDW more money under false pretenses. The original, or even current, motive may be complex and unknowable. It also doesn’t matter. WDW is lying in a way that encourages guests to give them more money under false pretenses. THAT’S the problem.
Weirdly, some youtubers got together and made different videos about real time time before and after genie.

Seems most rides are indeed posting above than the real time to ride the attraction.

But others like Mickey's runaway train tend to take longer now than posted. I assume that they have a higher than average load related to LL.

flynnibus

Premium Member

Or... if you simply look at each day independently (as most metrics do - because it removes individual guest variations) - his statement simply reads as "1/3 of our daily addressable market are buying G+"

Don't read this as a 'per guest' stat... read this as a 'resort stat'.

Jeff4272

I can't tell you if there was a "limit" to the free FP+, all I know is I could rarely get one for the attraction I wanted.
I guess in theory, there will be less LLs "purchased" via DG+, even less ILL purchases.
Therefore, in theory, the standby waits will be less since there will be less LL and ILL slowing down the standby.
Lets see what happens when everyone knows about DG+, ILL and when the parks are crowded.
Everyone could get FP+...........Everyone can buy Genie+, but only 1/3 of people have bought it so far.........

For all the people that said FP+ was slowing down the standby lines, how you feeling now?

Could have had free FP+ but now you either have to pay thru the nose or wait

and the wait times are just as bad

Jeff4272

Or... if you simply look at each day independently (as most metrics do - because it removes individual guest variations) - his statement simply reads as "1/3 of our daily addressable market are buying G+"

Don't read this as a 'per guest' stat... read this as a 'resort stat'.
Agreeing with Flynnibus 2x this month is a record for me!

But I agree with you......Look at every day independently, take total park admission and find out who paid for Genie+ that day

Disstevefan1

Everyone could get FP+...........Everyone can buy Genie+, but only 1/3 of people have bought it so far.........

For all the people that said FP+ was slowing down the standby lines, how you feeling now?

Could have had free FP+ but now you either have to pay thru the nose or wait

and the wait times are just as bad
As for wait times now, I have been watching vloggers and it looks like the posted wait times are over estimated by a lot, sometimes estimated twice as long as the actual wait times.

But as I said, the true test will be the parks are at capacity and everyone knows Genie + is available.

Jeff4272

As for wait times now, I have been watching vloggers and it looks like the posted wait times are over estimated by a lot, sometimes estimated twice as long as the actual wait times.

But as I said, the true test will be the parks are at capacity and everyone knows Genie + is available.
Posted wait times are overestimated, but they have always been overestimated......

But the point is, the theory that people had that FP+ was inflating standby times is vastly overblown

Standby times are just as bad

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
Mike at BlogMickey has some allocation numbers but they strike me as way off, especially his phase 1 numbers. If during normal operations, 80% of the queue was going to LL with 67% of guests not buying it the standby queues would be hours long. Curious if the people who know park ops better (or work rides!) have some insight.

gorillaball

Mike at BlogMickey has some allocation numbers but they strike me as way off, especially his phase 1 numbers. If during normal operations, 80% of the queue was going to LL with 67% of guests not buying it the standby queues would be hours long. Curious if the people who know park ops better (or work rides!) have some insight.

"up to" should be the focus, not the "93", my personal interpretation of that headline. A ride has been down for 2 hours and suddenly opens then sure, maybe for a short period they use 93% of capacity for LL... I would guess that is very seldom the case and makes this headline generally misleading. My opinion - no facts to support this other than logic.

UNCgolf

That would also mean they didn't have a ton of room to increase Genie+ slots on days when attendance skyrockets.

I don't think that's true, as it would mean a bunch of Genie+ rides would have no slots left for the entire day before the park even opened.

flynnibus

Premium Member

The article describes three operating phases - it does not speak to how long or how often those second and third tiers are used, but infers they are phases that are temporary based on operating conditions. So you run in phase 3 to get the line backup down, then revert to a lower phase once the backup is relieved.

mikejs78

Premium Member
The article describes three operating phases - it does not speak to how long or how often those second and third tiers are used, but infers they are phases that are temporary based on operating conditions. So you run in phase 3 to get the line backup down, then revert to a lower phase once the backup is relieved.
But even the first one seems out of whack. If only a third of guests are using Genie Plus compared to the fast pass plus days, a 4-1 ratio seems unlikely. In fact I think others have said that Genie Plus was operating at pretty low capacity right now and would probably be raised over time.

@lentesta Has your crew done any counts here of people going through LL.vs standby?

flynnibus

Premium Member
But even the first one seems out of whack. If only a third of guests are using Genie Plus compared to the fast pass plus days, a 4-1 ratio seems unlikely. In fact I think others have said that Genie Plus was operating at pretty low capacity right now and would probably be raised over time.

It's just a baseline - Genie, like FP, isn't always running full bore with people waiting in the queue.

Ayla

I can't tell you if there was a "limit" to the free FP+, all I know is I could rarely get one for the attraction I wanted.
I guess in theory, there will be less LLs "purchased" via DG+, even less ILL purchases.
Therefore, in theory, the standby waits will be less since there will be less LL and ILL slowing down the standby.
Lets see what happens when everyone knows about DG+, ILL and when the parks are crowded.
Disney has said Genie+ will never sell out. What that means, is even after all availability is gone, they will continue to allow people to purchase Genie+, even when they literally get nothing for their purchase. Nice, huh?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom