Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

RoadiJeff

What does this have to do with anything? WDW is not a thrill park while Universal is more so.
I think it originally started with how people were complaining about the cost of Genie+ and ILL and I was comparing it to what I recently paid at Universal for a one-day Express Pass. The Disney price is still a pretty good deal compared to that.

wutisgood

Disney might have actually just increased the value of touring plans. ALso staying on site for the early entry might be cheaper to get a get premium lightning lane in combination with a plan than buying genie plus at all.

Muffinpants

Disney might have actually just increased the value of touring plans. ALso staying on site for the early entry might be cheaper to get a get premium lightning lane in combination with a plan than buying genie plus at all.
Yup 100% the plan for my June trip Rope drop and which ever headliner we dont buy we RD and than just go about our day.

FeelsSoGoodToBeBad

I FORGOT ABOUT HOLIDAY WORLD! LOL I haven't been there in ages.
We used to go all the time when it was still Santa Claus Land. I miss the moving toys display they used to have.

It is one of my favorite parks, though we rarely go. It is the only place I've seen teenaged workers ask guests to stop behaving poorly. Add in cleanliness, on-site pet hotel, free sunscreen, parking, and soda and it makes it tough to beat!

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Between this, the blockout dates being more extreme, park reservations, etc., a few of my friends who I used to go with every few weeks are thinking not to renew their AP's.

I'm hearing a lot of people are finally getting to that point. I think this will all backfire spectacularly on Disney, but they might not "feel it" for a few more months if I was to guess.

Casper Gutman

I think it originally started with how people were complaining about the cost of Genie+ and ILL and I was comparing it to what I recently paid at Universal for a one-day Express Pass. The Disney price is still a pretty good deal compared to that.
Well, there is one big difference - Universal has built to keep up with capacity. WDW absolutely has not. On most days, Uni can comfortably handle its crowds. WDW can't. So the Express Pass is much, much less necessary at Uni then at WDW. I often have a Uni Express pass and don't even bother to use it.

Casper Gutman

My guess is it is partially to do with that, and partially to do with line management. It's in their oprational interest to prevent lines from spilling too much, for example, into the pathways. So they may inflate at high volume attractions to move people to lower volume attractions. Expecially with FP+ gone this becomes more necessary. They also may wantt to steer people to different portions of the park at different times of day. If you look at TouringPlans at any one time, their estimated actual time (which I've found to be fairly accurate) is sometimes well under the posted time, sometimes right in line with the posted time, and sometimes a little above the posted time.

For example, right now the actual wait time estimates in Touring Plans' lines app (posted wait times in parentheses):

Saucers - 27 (35)
MMRR - 46 (60)
MFSR - 38 (50)
RNRC - 34 (45)
SDD - 35 (70)
ST - 5 (5)
RotR - 49 (95)
TSM - 32 (35)
ToT - 56 (100)

By the looks of this, right now my guess is that they want to steer people from ToT to RnRC, from RotR to MFSR, and from SDD to TSM.
Why would SDD be struggling to accommodate a 35 minute line, or RotR a 49 minute one? Those seem like comparatively short wait times for each ride. So short, in fact, that they might prove problematic for a company trying to charge guests for a new line skipping system.

Also, those numbers are interesting - the first four all inflate the times about the same, adding on about 33% of the wait time. SDD and RotR, the headliners of the moment, break that pattern, and at least double the wait time. Less popular, older rides like TSM and ST are almost right on. Basically, with the exception of ToT, it looks as though the general popularity of a ride rather then the specific, current wait time determines how much a wait time is inflated. Just interesting.

Last edited:

Jrb1979

Why would SDD be struggling to accommodate a 35 minute line, or RotR a 49 minute one? Those seem like comparatively short wait times for each ride. So short, in fact, that they might prove problematic for a company trying to charge guests for a new line skipping system.

Also, those numbers are interesting - the first four all inflate the times about the same, adding on about 33% of the wait time. SDD and RotR, the headliners of the moment, break that pattern, and at least double the wait time. Less popular, older rides like TSM and ST are almost right on. Basically, with the exception of ToT, it looks as though the general popularity of a ride rather then the specific, current wait time determines how much a wait time is inflated. Just interesting.
I guess from me buying skip the line systems at other parks so much that even a 30 minute wait is too much.

Matthew

So Disney Genie+ can be purchased in advance for £97.86 (£6.99 a day) and added to the new UK exclusive Magic Tickets...
1635937899475.png

Chip Chipperson

Yea but this just seems odd for a straight up genie perk. Make the tickets even more discounted but like.. idk just leaves a bad taste i guess. since even AP or DVC dont get any kinda discount.

Exactly. If the complaint about Passholders is that they don't spend enough, then how about incentivizing additional spending by offering a discount on Genie+ since they opted not to include it with the APs themselves? Within a year, it should be very easy to add a discount for it and figure out how many Passholders purchased it at the discounted rate vs. how many purchased it when they were charged full price - and they really should have been able to conduct market research ahead of time in order to have a discount available when it launched. For how much they raised AP prices while also eliminating the inclusion of PhotoPass, including Genie+ in the AP would have been a good way to soften the blow a bit (even if they just did it for higher tiers). Even a discount would likely get more Passholders to purchase the service more often. when you consider that Passholders spend more days in the parks than the average guests each year, there's really no need for many of them to purchase Genie+ each day - but make it cheaper for them and more will pay for it more often.

dreday3

Ah, remember the good old days where you would....you know, just show up and not have to worry about any of this madness. Talk about complicating trip planning even more.

In all honestly, pre-planning fast passes 60 days before we arrived was more "complicated" to me. Not that I minded it, but a lot more thinking involved...

Genie + is more of a matter of deciding if you want it that day and being annoyed at paying for it. Once you make the decision to buy, I didn't find it complicated. Pretty straightforward in fact. Now you may not like the times presented to you ;), but the process of choosing the time wasn't hard for us.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom