World Drive Phase-III

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
So far everything seems to be pointing to a new resort and not a GF expansion
Don’t fall for the bait in that one…
Some countries have had them for nearly 100 years and still use them so they do work, just don't put one on a high speed road. They are much better than a 4 way stop.
Granted…but they really don’t work with heavy flow. You want to meet me and take a look at the most obvious example? The Champs Elysee?
We're still adding them up here in the northeast, although I'll be the first to admit that some are too small for their location and the speed of the roads feeding them.

We call them a "rotary" here.
Boston circles are the worst

ImperfectPixie

The smaller size and lower speed of a modern roundabout is a feature, not a bug. By making a smaller diameter circular roadway with superelevation (banking) against the direction of the curve, drivers naturally are inclined to drive much slower through the conflict points, dramatically reducing the risk of injuries and increasing the volume of cars that can safely enter the intersection. In fact, roundabouts can reduce the odds of crashes by substantial fractions, with some studies showing reductions in the realm of 80%.

There is a difference between a rotary and a roundabout. The first modern roundabout was not built in the United States until the mid-1990s (with the exception of a single intersection built in rural New Jersey in the 1930s that nobody realized had all the characteristics of a roundabout until that time). Roundabouts were developed in Europe in the 1960s as a safer, more efficient version of a rotary. See this link for more on the differences between the two.

Of course, unfamiliar drivers do have problems in roundabouts, but they also have problems in traffic signals, highway exit ramps, and all other types of roads. But the failure mode of roundabouts is a minor low-speed nonfatal fender bender, not a high-speed 90 degree collision. In places where volumes and geometries are appropriate, roundabouts are a superior technology, and I think they will work well here.
I was more referring to older rotaries and the speeds of the roads feeding into the starting far too high, then expecting motorists who are driving 55-60mph on a highway with two lanes on each side to slow to 25mph and other situations similar to that. (There's a section of highway on the way to the Cape that does exactly this, and another further north along the coast that is similar, but with speeds around 45-50mph.)

The more recent roundabout additions I've seen function much better, but it's taken a really long time for them to get that way.

nickys

Premium Member
Glad to see some modern roundabouts coming to the resort. I think there is definitely a possibility that these roadway realignment could be for some very long-term planning for future resorts. But I think their primary benefit will be to rationalize the parking situation for these hotels and reduce pedestrian/vehicular conflicts.

If I had to guess, I would imagine that this has been on the drawing board for years, and that this project is likely funded by RCID tax revenue, so the pandemic has had little impact to the schedule.
How do roundabouts help rationalise the parking at resorts?

bcoachable

Ugh I can’t believe this thread has devolved into a debate about the merits of roundabouts. Someone tell me why the new resort will be called Dragon’s Gate and how many animatronic dragons will be included.
Leaked artwork:
1635090345701.jpeg

castlecake2.0

Disney’s Roundabout Resort and Spa is set to become the newest addition to Walt Disney World Resort. Based on Walt and Lilian’s travels through roundabouts over the years, this resort is set to tell new stories in a way only Disney can deliver! You enter the resort through a series of roundabouts at the grand main entrance. As your vacation experience continues, you will be dizzy with delight as you continue to progress through multiple magical traffic circles. As you approach the main building the theming never stops as the roundabout swings you back out to World Drive. Your vacation was so magical it’s over before you know it! The best part of this resort is there are no parking fees as there is nowhere to park! It’s all waiting for you at Disney’s Roundabout Resort and Spa— Opening Soon!

Lilofan

Disney’s Roundabout Resort and Spa is set to become the newest addition to Walt Disney World Resort. Based on Walt and Lilian’s travels through roundabouts over the years, this resort is set to tell new stories in a way only Disney can deliver! You enter the resort through a series of roundabouts at the grand main entrance. As your vacation experience continues, you will be dizzy with delight as you continue to progress through multiple magical traffic circles. As you approach the main building the theming never stops as the roundabout swings you back out to World Drive. Your vacation was so magical it’s over before you know it! The best part of this resort is there are no parking fees as there is nowhere to park! It’s all waiting for you at Disney’s Roundabout Resort and Spa— Opening Soon!
And for the background music brought to you by YES singing their oldie but goodie song " Roundabout".

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
And for the background music brought to you by YES singing their oldie but goodie song " Roundabout".
Like a circle in a spiral, like a wheel within a wheel, never ending or beginning on an ever spinning reel. Like a snowball down a mountain or a carnival balloon, like a rotary that's turning, running rings around the moon. Like a clock whose hands are sweeping past the minutes of its face, and the world is like an apple whirling silently in space. Like the circles that you find in roundabouts of your mind.

SteveAZee

Or, replace the Tomorrowland Speedway.

Robbiem

It’s going to be a new British themed resort, hence the traffic roundabouts.
I know this wasn’t serious but I actually think a British themed resort could be great. There are so many possibilities to use - personally I’d love to see a Cornish fishing village themed resort as a spin on the boardwalk type concept but I guess that would be a bit niche. A Tudor themed resort would be a ‘classic British’ style kind of like a fantasyland version of wilderness lodge.

I’d still love to see the Asian resort though. If it was done right it could be classy and unique

Ayla

There are Uber drivers (who should generally know the roads they work on) here. That's true about tourists, though... most of ours are in Portland, on the coast, or in the mountains, not cruising through the 'burbs. So, if you see someone safely navigating a traffic circle at WDW, you can probably assume the driver is an Oregonian. 😁
We've got tons of them in WI, too. They're being put in everywhere. 🙄

vikescaper

I don’t mind roundabouts but it is other drivers that I worry about. That said, I can’t wait to drive through my first Disney roundabout. I wonder if they will reserve space at the center of one for Chapek’s statue?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
That is like the greatest post EVER!!👍🏻👏
Someone doesn’t remember the second half of Icabod and Mr Toad…

But if a LS resort ever did open I’m sure it would be HM themed.

I know this wasn’t serious but I actually think a British themed resort could be great. There are so many possibilities to use - personally I’d love to see a Cornish fishing village themed resort as a spin on the boardwalk type concept but I guess that would be a bit niche. A Tudor themed resort would be a ‘classic British’ style kind of like a fantasyland version of wilderness lodge.

I’d still love to see the Asian resort though. If it was done right it could be classy and unique
I don’t know if anyone noticed…but they haven’t broke ground on a hotel with a new theme in 20 years and counting

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom