Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

FeelsSoGoodToBeBad

I wonder if it will be down more now because they won't skip the preshows, meaning there's more that can go wrong.

There's no guarantee that they wouldn't skip them, but I know if I paid to ride and the preshows were skipped I'd ask for my money back.
I believe it WAS being skipped earlier today.

I agree -- If I'm paying out of pocket, extra money for a ride, I should not be getting less than the full experience (AA malfunctions aside).

LovePop

Theme parks essentially started as parks. Even cemeteries were parks where families would go stroll, play, be together. Then a few rides were added such as a carousel. There was no itinerary needed. Today people spend their entire “vacation” buried in their phones, while at the gate, while in the line, while on the boat or monorail, while they eat. They miss the actual show, and details. No spontaneity. Only a zealously planned schedule. No exploring like kids on Huck Island. My strategy is ditching the app, ditching the phone, no strategizing and panicking like huddling people trying to get off the Titanic. I pick park or resort and see what I might just find. It’s the best way to get out of the madness of followers, and really enjoy the details of Disney, and be together as a family.
That's true with parks that are free. Disney World costs $3000 ticket price for my family of 4 to visit 10 days, not counting hotel or airfare or food. No way am I not panicking.

HM Spectre

I'm with you 100%. If they keep standby reasonable then I'm fine with this. The once in a lifetime people can give Disney some revenue and I can still enjoy the parks.

That's my issue with this though...

The same minds who thought to charge us for FP in the first place aren't going to put the brakes on Genie+ because it's hurting standby lanes.

If anything, they'll probably be tempted to put more pain into the standby lanes to drive more people towards Genie+.

In the end, the only people who will benefit from this are those with $$$... exactly as intended.

Basil of Baker Street

Is there a limit of how many you can have at one time? Say if I don't enter the park until 4pm but can I start reserving them one at a time starting at park open, then one every 2 hours.

Jeff4272

Is there a limit of how many you can have at one time? Say if I don't enter the park until 4pm but can I start reserving them one at a time starting at park open, then one every 2 hours.
Ive seen people with 3 Genie+ so far .........but that doesnt mean it couldnt be more, its just that it takes 6 hours to get the 3 with the 2 hour wait limit between each

hopemax

I believe it WAS being skipped earlier today.

I agree -- If I'm paying out of pocket, extra money for a ride, I should not be getting less than the full experience (AA malfunctions aside).
If we could get our money back after riding Everest because the Yeti doesn't work, that would make it worth the $8 up front to show up in the data reports to motivate Disney to fix the dang thing

LovePop

That's my issue with this though...

The same minds who thought to charge us for FP in the first place aren't going to put the brakes on Genie+ because it's hurting standby lanes.

If anything, they'll probably be tempted to put more pain into the standby lanes to drive more people towards Genie+.

In the end, the only people who will benefit from this are those with $$$... exactly as intended.
In the end, the question is, will standby really get hurt that much by Genie+? In the previous week, the posted wait times were plenty long. It doesn't seem any worse today. So maybe Genie+ won't make much of a difference.

mightynine

That's a great point. It's easy to spend less on other things like F&B or merch to cover the cost of Genie+ and/or IAS.

A lot of taking from Bucket A (food, merch, etc) to supply Bucket B will no doubt take place.
Which would probably make Disney very happy, as they could then potentially cut expenses in merch and dining while pocketing pure profit.

m3000

We'll see...

In the end, the question is, will standby really get hurt that much by Genie+? In the previous week, the posted wait times were plenty long. It doesn't seem any worse today. So maybe Genie+ won't make much of a difference.
My assumption was that, at least at the beginning, the amount of people that would allocate for the Lighting Lanes/Fast Pass would be the same as pre-Genie+ so the standby wait times wouldn't be affected at all. Glad that seems to be the case so far.

Jeff4272

SO for a 9am park opening, by 4pm you could have the following:

7am - book initial Genie+ for SDD
9am - park opens
11am - book 2nd Genie+ for MFSR
1pm - book 3rd Genie+ for ToT
3pm - book 4th Genie+ for TSMM

Plus your 2 IAS purchases

so technically the max you could have is 6 by 3pm (based on availability) and paying max prices so maybe people that have done that today can confirm?

HM Spectre

It doesn't seem to be any worse today but if they're selling it out, I don't know what stops them from adding more until certain standby lines take a hit.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom