World Drive Phase-III

castlecake2.0

Also I hope there are plans to make the North entrance to property a little more polished. The current grand view of the service area and cast parking lot isn’t exceptionally magical when entering property.

JoeCamel

Could you imagine the meltdown on the boards if Disney were to build a hotel this generic?

View attachment 594197
Is that razor wire around the top to keep the prisoners in?

I can't imagine a world where they are widening to a 4 lane highway to ease traffic and then introducing multiple circles. That's begging for multiple accidents a day. I'm not a traffic engineer so this is merely conjecture. I'm hoping those are just locations for ramps or interchanges.
I've driven 70,000 miles in the last 18 months encountering many roundabouts in my travels. 60 mph 4 lane semi divided slowed and brought together for a moment to neighborhood ones. They all seemed to flow pretty well and weren't littered with debris from multiple crashes

DisneyDreamerxyz

Also I hope there are plans to make the North entrance to property a little more polished. The current grand view of the service area and cast parking lot isn’t exceptionally magical when entering property.

the couple roads that are technically entrances to Disney property like Vista Blvd, Sherberth Rd, Reams Road really could use some landscaping and a little polish.

I think the area around the Contemporary looks awful every time I drive by it.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Are the circles roundabouts?

Yes..

1634570064509.png

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Is that razor wire around the top to keep the prisoners in?

I've driven 70,000 miles in the last 18 months encountering many roundabouts in my travels. 60 mph 4 lane semi divided slowed and brought together for a moment to neighborhood ones. They all seemed to flow pretty well and weren't littered with debris from multiple crashes
I don't get the problem with them either, yet some people absolutely seem to vapor lock at them.

Before the pandemic landed me a sweet work-from-home deal, I went through the same one almost daily. About once a week I would run into someone that just did not grasp the whole "the car in the roundabout has the right of way" concept. They displayed this by either nearly t-boning me when I was in the roundabout or to coming to a complete stop while still in the roundabout.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I don't get the problem with them either, yet some people absolutely seem to vapor lock at them.

Before the pandemic landed me a sweet work-from-home deal, I went through the same one almost daily. About once a week I would run into someone that just did not grasp the whole "the car in the roundabout has the right of way" concept. They displayed this by either nearly t-boning me when I was in the roundabout or to coming to a complete stop while still in the roundabout.
They can’t handle high volume and make the feeders problematic.

I happened to do a lot of transportation work since my time in the swamp and have heard the “theory of circles” discussed up one side and down the other

UNCgolf

I understand it's just jokes about that drawing of the supposed Venetian, but that's clearly supposed to be a facsimile of the Palazzo Ducale in Venice -- it's a crude rendition of the building's unique roof line. The taller building is St. Mark's Campanile.

I don't think the Venetian would have been generic at all if they'd actually built it -- it would probably have looked similar to the Italy pavilion at EPCOT, which also uses those same buildings.

pdude81

I think to introduce multiple roundabouts in a few miles of heavily traveled road is going to be tough for the platoons of tourists and ride-share drivers who don't regularly interact with these. My concern is people looking at their phones for direction and crashing into the buses whose drivers are regular users of the roadway.

I hope to be wrong about this, and I assume Europeans will have an easier time here than most of us in the US, but I'm skeptical. Where I come from they have mostly eliminated these, other than a few highway state/county highway exchanges. The one new roundabout created at the airport to ease congestion resulted in more traffic and more accidents. Could just be poor design or a poor fit for the roads in question.

UNCgolf

Good god…nobody with a Brain builds circles BY CHOICE in this day and age

they are absolutely terrible for flow and visibility.

Roundabouts are being built everywhere these days, at least in the southeast. I've seen a bunch of intersections removed and replaced with them in coastal NC.

It's been a huge improvement too -- the traffic flow is much better than at a four way stop sign or even a stoplight, at least when people know how to use the circles correctly (which is a problem; a lot of people still treat them like a four way stop which completely defeats the purpose).

With that said, those roads don't see anywhere near the level of regular traffic that this road will. They're mainly slammed one day a week during the weekly rental changeovers.

Last edited:

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Good god…nobody with a Brain builds circles BY CHOICE in this day and age
I'm no fan, but they are in fact being built all over. And while my initial inclination might be to condemn all those building them to the "no brain" category, I do in fact know that some of those decision makers are smart people, and there is actually evidence to back up the notion that, in the right situations (fairly low traffic volume and speed, but enough that some kind of traffic control is needed), traffic circles are more efficient and safer than stop signs or traffic lights.

pdude81

This is my concern. It only takes one knucklehead to ruin traffic for thousands of others.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I understand it's just jokes about that drawing of the supposed Venetian, but that's clearly supposed to be a facsimile of the Palazzo Ducale in Venice -- it's a crude rendition of the building's unique roof line. The taller building is St. Mark's Campanile.

I don't think the Venetian would have been generic at all if they'd actually built it -- it would probably have looked similar to the Italy pavilion at EPCOT, which also uses those same buildings.
The late 60’s concept art would agree with you.

it kinda was made sorts obsolete when they built world showcase.

but in today’s time and date…the old rumored 7 seas hotels won’t be built. Maybe the Venetian…but the “Asian” and “Persian” ones are a thematic non-starter anymore. I don’t to think they’ll ever do a geography referenced site again…you’ll get nonsense ideas like “reflections”

Last edited:

UNCgolf

The late 60’s concept art would agree with you.

it kinda was made sorts obsolete when they built world showcase.

but in today’s time and date…the old rumored 7 seas hotels not built won’t be. Maybe the Venetian…but the “Asian” and “Persian” ones are a thematic non-starter anymore. I don’t to think they’ll ever to a geography referenced site again…you’ll get nonsense ideas like “reflections”

Oh yeah, I don't think there's any chance they'd build that now.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I'm no fan, but they are in fact being built all over. And while my initial inclination might be to condemn all those building them to the "no brain" category, I do in fact know that some of those decision makers are smart people, and there is actually evidence to back up the notion that, in the right situations (fairly low traffic volume and speed, but enough that some kind of traffic control is needed), traffic circles are more efficient and safer than stop signs or traffic lights.
I’m just saying some of the younger, less “weathered” states need to heed their forebearers…

here’s a good one: “never operate like PENNdot”

I’ve just seen traffic studies that show that trying to avoid lights with circles…which SHOULD make sense…actually doesn’t.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom