Zootopia at Animal Kingdom?

Disney Maddux

Nobody will probably see this due to this thread seeming to be dead, but MisterPenguin told me this was the best place to ask it:
Do we have any updates regarding this Zootopia area project? The last I heard about this was that it'll probably begin work when Epcot finishes the major parts of its renovation, meaning around 2022 or 2023, but that was a while ago.
Please, does anyone have any updates regarding the Zootopia project, or any sort of replacement for Planet Watch?

IanDLBZF

Nobody will probably see this due to this thread seeming to be dead, but MisterPenguin told me this was the best place to ask it:
Do we have any updates regarding this Zootopia area project? The last I heard about this was that it'll probably begin work when Epcot finishes the major parts of its renovation, meaning around 2022 or 2023, but that was a while ago.
Please, does anyone have any updates regarding the Zootopia project, or any sort of replacement for Planet Watch?
Per Jim Hill, Disney is still looking into it. Perhaps we could see something revealed at D23 next year?

HauntedMansionFLA

Doesn’t look like it
A. Yay, someone responded!
B. Or perhaps at Project D this year?
AK

Northern Project: Some long term proposal to make use of the land north of Kali and south of Conservation Station. [here]
  • Something within a decade [here]
  • a 'northern project' sometime mid next decade [here]
  • long-term goal to get to the Conservation Station on foot [here] {added}

Rivers of Light

DHS

Shows:
  • Mermaid, Beauty... are all long running shows and plans were made for replacements but then delayed. Will they ever be updated with, e.g., the Aladdin show that was in Anaheim or the Tangled show that's on the cruise ships?
    • Both are due for some change [here] and [here]
    • But changing them, which was definitely on the table and one supposed to happen this year, but unknown why there doesn't seem to be any movement on this [here] {added}

Star Wars Lands
  • A small possibility of a third ride added to SWL [weak] {updated}
    • a third ride not happening with the opening of SWL, however, the thick bump in the berm next to Pixar Lane is the pad for a future ride if ever it comes [here] {added}

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
A. Yay, someone responded!
B. Or perhaps at Project D this year?

Most people who've participated in this thread see it on their watch list when someone posts.

To answer your question: the rumor is from Jim Hill who has a very spotty record for these things. Sometimes he'll call something way ahead of everyone else, but too many times he presents blue-sky ideas that they're kicking around, or, presumptions on his part, as likely rumors when they're no where near likely. Other internet sources are just repeating Jim Hill's claim.

While one of our insiders has confirmed that the area north of Kali is designated for a future project, he hasn't given it a timeline and it is far from greenlit, and he's not saying it's Zootopia.

That none of our insiders are saying that Zootopia is being considered means it's not likely at all.

Unless one of them wants to chime in now otherwise.

Last edited:

Disney Maddux

Most people who've participated in this thread see it on their watch list when someone posts.

To answer your question: the rumor is from Jim Hill who has a very spotty record for these things. Sometimes he'll call something way ahead of everyone else, but too many times he presents blue-sky ideas that they're kicking around, or, presumptions on his part, as likely rumors when they're no where near likely. Other internet sources are just repeating Jim Hill's claim.

While one of our insiders has confirmed that the area north of Kali is designated for a future project, he hasn't given it a timeline and it is far from greenlit, and he's not saying it's Zootopia.

That none of our insiders are saying that Zootopia is being considered means it's not likely at all.

Unless one of them wants to chime in now otherwise.
So in a nutshell, we know something is planned to be replacing Planet Watch sometime in the future, and Jim Hill presumed on a podcast that it will be a Zootopia area despite no evidence?
Also, where can I find his podcasts?

Awakening

So in a nutshell, we know something is planned to be replacing Planet Watch sometime in the future, and Jim Hill presumed on a podcast that it will be a Zootopia area despite no evidence?

iTunes, Bandcamp, etc. Just Google "Disney Dish Podcast" and whatever option best suits you should pop up.

ElBendro

I wouldn't say planned but the goal was/is eventually utilize the space.

EDIT: Should clarify that's for the land north of Kali, not planet watch.

Last edited:

SteamboatJoe

I've been under the impression that Planet Watch is staying and that whatever is planned would be an infill project. Seems plausible that train to it could possibly be removed though since it would no longer be needed.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
I've been under the impression that Planet Watch is staying and that whatever is planned would be an infill project. Seems plausible that train to it could possibly be removed though since it would no longer be needed.

Indeed, @marni1971 mentioned *the possibility* of removing the train and people just walking to Planet Watch and whatever may be placed in that general vicinity as a new land. Possibly.

Disney Maddux

Indeed, @marni1971 mentioned *the possibility* of removing the train and people just walking to Planet Watch and whatever may be placed in that general vicinity as a new land. Possibly.
Wait, I'm confused. So is it...
A. Planet Watch is staying, and we're getting a new land up north of Kali?
B. Planet Watch is being moved up to where the entrance sign is so you can walk up to it, and where it is right now will be demo'd so a new land can go from there up to north of Kali?
C. Do we have any time frame for this yet? Last I heard, it's starting around 2022 or 2023.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Wait, I'm confused. So is it...
A. Planet Watch is staying, and we're getting a new land up north of Kali?
B. Planet Watch is being moved up to where the entrance sign is so you can walk up to it, and where it is right now will be demo'd so a new land can go from there up to north of Kali?
C. Do we have any time frame for this yet? Last I heard, it's starting around 2022 or 2023.
  • Planet Watch is staying
  • Railroad is going
  • unused area developed into a new land
  • no time frame, but since nothing is budgeted or greenlit at this time, don't expect anything to happen for at least two years, most likely
  • all of which isn't greenlit yet and can change or never happen

Disney Maddux

• Railroad is going
  • no time frame, but since nothing is budgeted or greenlit at this time, don't expect anything to happen for at least two years, most likely
Thank you for clearing it up! One last question:
...How would a walkway to something that far even be possible? xD

britain

• Railroad is going

It's a shame the railroad is going - it's a beautifully designed element, it just needs something fun to pass for passengers to look at. And something worthwhile to arrive at.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Thank you for clearing it up! One last question:
...How would a walkway to something that far even be possible? xD

From the center of Innoventions to the American Adventure pavilion is .66 miles. That's the same distance from the bridge into Discovery Island to Planet Watch presuming a path through the new land to be built north of KRR. The train track has a very big out-of-the-way loop which makes it seem much longer (that, and it doesn't drop you off anywhere near PW and you have to wait for the train... makes it seem much longer than it is).

Timothy_Q

It's a shame the railroad is going - it's a beautifully designed element, it just needs something fun to pass for passengers to look at. And something worthwhile to arrive at.
I always felt like the AK railroad was a missed opportunity.

It could have been integrated into Africa and Asia to add an extra layer of life to both lands, and to give more to look at while riding it.
I'm glad now we can have a peak at it from Harambe Market at least

Daveeeeed

I always felt like the AK railroad was a missed opportunity.

It could have been integrated into Africa and Asia to add an extra layer of life to both lands, and to give more to look at while riding it.
Initial budgets were cheap for Animal Kingdom, sadly. I still wonder, as great as it is currently if it had a proper investment from the start. Thankfully Pandora was an epic addition to the park!

Disney Maddux

From the center of Innoventions to the American Adventure pavilion is .66 miles. That's the same distance from the bridge into Discovery Island to Planet Watch presuming a path through the new land to be built north of KRR. The train track has a very big out-of-the-way loop which makes it seem much longer (that, and it doesn't drop you off anywhere near PW and you have to wait for the train... makes it seem much longer than it is).
So without that loop and the railway, a straight path towards the Planet Watch would take 2 minutes at most probably?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom