News Zootopia and Moana Blue Sky concepts for Disney's Animal Kingdom

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
“The whole darn land” is an atrocious embarrassment to the reputation of Disney theme parks. It needs to be razed, with that being said I would hope they would retheme dinosaur in those plans as I enjoy the attraction
Yeah while the dinosaur ride needs some tlc and maybe even a little calming down in places so Disney doesn’t need a chiropractor on standby in the gift shop, I would love to still see a small dinoland keeping that ride and maybe the boneyard and spinner they have. It’s animal kingdom after all and dinosaurs are popular, especially for boys.

James Alucobond

I’ve defended Dinorama and Dinoland at length before - they’re clever satirical areas that work together and that fit within and elaborate upon the larger themes of AK. I really wish that, instead of tearing Dinorama to shreds, they’d added a strong mid-range ride - perhaps a cheesy Dino-themed roadside dark ride that gets invaded by real dinos - and upgraded Dinosaur. Moana can be made to fit into AK, but the park needs expansion, not replacements. I actually wouldn’t mind a Zootopia land, but it doesn’t belong in AK - if I had my druthers, they’d steamroll Toy Story Land and put it there.
Everyone I’ve ever gone with who is not immersed in the parks wonders at why there is an incredibly cheap-looking carnival in the midst of what otherwise has a very clear and consistent visual language. The clever satire is lost on most people, and the area does not show why it fits without you working to find the storytelling, which is what people don’t like about many of the new attractions (and I agree).

KingMickey13

I get what people are saying about the “clever theming” but, to me, it seems jarring because the rest of the park is very “natural” even Pandora, and then there is just a carnival that looks like it came right out of a small-town fairgrounds. Dinosaur itself still fits in fine, but it’s in desperate need of a refurbishment. Last time I rode (December 2022), a lot of the animatronics were not functioning, and it was strangely darker and felt more jarring. The triceratops ride is cute and I have fond memories of it (being there with my grandmother a lot as a kid, a few years back I tried to ride it as many times as possible and joking about it with the cast members), but, most likely, it’s just being re-skinned.

KingMickey13

55C6A6CF-184C-466E-945E-13215A30A01C.png

Here is the possible map of the Moana/Zootopia section.

Casper Gutman

Everyone I’ve ever gone with who is not immersed in the parks wonders at why there is an incredibly cheap-looking carnival in the midst of what otherwise has a very clear and consistent visual language. The clever satire is lost on most people, and the area does not show why it fits without you working to find the storytelling, which is what people don’t like about many of the new attractions (and I agree).
I just don’t understand this. It’s like guests being confused as to why there’s a weatherbeaten African village in the middle of the park. AK is distinct because it has several huge sections that strive for a lived-in realism as opposed to the idealized word’s fair aesthetic of World Showcase, and Dinorama is completely consistent with that. Even given that it leans towards realism, it’s still a clearly heightened Disney realism - no roadside carnival has such elaborate, custom-built, thematically-appropriate rides and statues as Dinorama. As to the consistent (rather then coherent) visual language, that’s not really true - Dinoland has a very diverse aesthetic, with the visual language of the Dig Site, Restaurantasaurus, and Dinosaur show building all being as distinct from one another as they are from Dinorama (that’s all part of the not-particularly-hidden-satire, of course). As to the storytelling, the knock against things like Tiana’s or the Main Street Bakery is that they have unnecessarily overwritten backstories that aren’t reflected by and/or don’t fit the physical elements to which they are attached. Dinoland’s story is relatively simple and is conveyed in the physical features of the land, as Disney storytelling should be.

On some level, I think fans and even less involved guests rebel against Dinorama because it acknowledges that Disney, as well-done and spectacular as it is, is still an amusement park, not a million miles removed from those trashy roadside tourist trap - and that acknowledgment takes realism an uncomfortable step too far.

In any case, if people really want to rail against a slapdash, badly themed roadside carnival, Toy Story Land is in another park.

DKampy

Like I said, clearly there is an audience for it.
Still, I've never seen or heard a person (I know that's anecdotal) say anything much at all about the first film despite it's massive box office numbers.
Never seen a person wearing a t shirt, and outside of WDW, I've never seen merchandise.
Like Nickelback.
What’s your point… people around me don’t discuss DC or Lord of the rings does that mean they don’t have any cultural significance… meanwhile Avatar is discuss at length around my friends and family

And Nickelback does have pop culture relevance as one of the most undeserved hatred I have ever seen in music

James Alucobond

On some level, I think fans and even less involved guests rebel against Dinorama because it acknowledges that Disney, as well-done and spectacular as it is, is still an amusement park, not a million miles removed from those trashy roadside tourist trap - and that acknowledgment takes realism an uncomfortable step too far.
They don’t rebel against it; they’re confused by it. The Boneyard, Institute, and Restaurantosaurus are fine, but the Dinorama carnival is just weird when juxtaposed against everything else the park has on offer. Yes, weatherbeaten villages, makeshift cryptid museums, crumbling temples, and vine-torn landscapes are odd for Disney, but they flow well from one to another with no abrupt tonal changes. Dinorama represents a sharp visual shift which, on the flip side, is actually pretty normal for Disney in the context of the typical isolated land structure, but it really sticks out amongst an otherwise completely harmonious park.

Incomudro

What’s your point… people around me don’t discuss DC or Lord of the rings does that mean they don’t have any cultural significance… meanwhile Avatar is discuss at length around my friends and family

And Nickelback does have pop culture relevance as one of the most undeserved hatred I have ever seen in music
My point is exactly what I said it is.
It's odd that Avatar does so well numbers wise, when out in the real world it doesn't seem like anyone ever mentions it.
Unlike Potter or Star Wars.
Similarly, Nickelback do huge numbers - yet I've never heard a single person mention them favorably.
So clearly there is an audience for both of these things.
It just seems hidden when out in the real world.

DKampy

It's odd that Avatar does so well numbers wise, when out in the real world it doesn't seem like anyone ever mentions it.
Similarly, Nickelback do huge numbers - yet I've never heard a single person mention them favorably.
There are plenty of people who like both… I personally know people in the real world who like Avatar but I know no one who likes or even has seen any of the LotR movies…but I would not deny it’s cultural relevance… A persons circle of friends is quite small within the billions on the planet

Also there are plenty of people who like Nickelback it is just on trend to hate them… most don’t even know why they hate Nickelback they just do cause it is trendy

FigmentFan82

people over here thinking because the people in their town don't talk about Avatar that it's not relevant or some nonsense.

did you forget about, oh i don't know, the entire rest of the world we live in? because over 2bil means people out there do like it, and probably talk about it as well. just maybe in a different language

_caleb

people over here thinking because the people in their town don't talk about Avatar that it's not relevant or some nonsense.

did you forget about, oh i don't know, the entire rest of the world we live in? because over 2bil means people out there do like it, and probably talk about it as well. just maybe in a different language
I don't think anyone questions whether or not people in the world like Avatar films or talk about them. To me, it seems obvious that they do. But where are the communities who feel a strong sense of ownership in that universe?

Are there PandoraCons? Are there endless debates about the plausibility of Resources Development Administration's technology? Have you ever filled out a "which Na'vi tribe are you?" personality test? What are popular fan theories or fan fictions?

I'm not saying "unless I see kids dressed in Avatar costumes trick-or-treating on Halloween Avatar isn't good," I'm saying that the films haven't seemed to have developed a rabid fandom like other major sci-fi, fantasy, adventure blockbusters have.

Maybe they have and I've just missed it.

Incomudro

I just don’t understand this. It’s like guests being confused as to why there’s a weatherbeaten African village in the middle of the park. AK is distinct because it has several huge sections that strive for a lived-in realism as opposed to the idealized word’s fair aesthetic of World Showcase, and Dinorama is completely consistent with that. Even given that it leans towards realism, it’s still a clearly heightened Disney realism - no roadside carnival has such elaborate, custom-built, thematically-appropriate rides and statues as Dinorama. As to the consistent (rather then coherent) visual language, that’s not really true - Dinoland has a very diverse aesthetic, with the visual language of the Dig Site, Restaurantasaurus, and Dinosaur show building all being as distinct from one another as they are from Dinorama (that’s all part of the not-particularly-hidden-satire, of course). As to the storytelling, the knock against things like Tiana’s or the Main Street Bakery is that they have unnecessarily overwritten backstories that aren’t reflected by and/or don’t fit the physical elements to which they are attached. Dinoland’s story is relatively simple and is conveyed in the physical features of the land, as Disney storytelling should be.

In any case, if people really want to rail against a slapdash, badly themed roadside carnival, Toy Story Land is in another park.
As a fan of Dinosaurs since I was a little kid (I was born in '63) I really like the whole Dinosaur area including Dinorama.
I've never participated in the carnival stuff (just not into it) but the whole aesthetic of the roadside attraction built along the dig site (Boneyard - which my son's did play in when younger) is something that I find very appealing.

Not what I said.
I'm perfectly aware of personal encounters with people vs what goes on outside my sphere.
Which is why I said - those people are clearly out there.

ctrlaltdel

I don't think anyone questions whether or not people in the world like Avatar films or talk about them. To me, it seems obvious that they do. But where are the communities who feel a strong sense of ownership in that universe?

Are there PandoraCons? Are there endless debates about the plausibility of Resources Development Administration's technology? Have you ever filled out a "which Na'vi tribe are you?" personality test? What are popular fan theories or fan fictions?

I'm not saying "unless I see kids dressed in Avatar costumes trick-or-treating on Halloween Avatar isn't good," I'm saying that the films haven't seemed to have developed a rabid fandom like other major sci-fi, fantasy, adventure blockbusters have.

Maybe they have and I've just missed it.
Honestly, thank god the fandom isn't like that. I sometimes love the passion people have for certain franchises, but that's also a double-edged sword. As a big SW fan, the fanbase can be completely insufferable at times. I think everything about Avatar is well-liked without being rabid. The films and the theme park land has clearly been a successful expansion with one of the greatest attractions on Earth. Though, with the coming films, it may eventually get that way. But Avatar itself seems to attract much more chill fans so far.

_caleb

Honestly, thank god the fandom isn't like that. I sometimes love the passion people have for certain franchises, but that's also a double-edged sword. As a big SW fan, the fanbase can be completely insufferable at times. I think everything about Avatar is well-liked without being rabid. The films and the theme park land has clearly been a successful expansion with one of the greatest attractions on Earth. Though, with the coming films, it may eventually get that way. But Avatar itself seems to attract much more chill fans so far.
This is an interesting way to look at it. Maybe something about Avatar just attracts chill fans. And Star Wars and Marvel attract less-chill fans?

But I don't think "toxic" and "so chill they can't be detected" are the only options. I'd point to any of the hundreds of others that are passionate but welcoming (The Walking Dead, Avatar the Last Airbender, Narnia, pre-Fantastic Beasts Harry Potter...)

I'm pretty clear with end of the spectrum Disney fans tend toward.

But this brings us back to the topic at hand– if Disney is going to build out some of the blue sky concept at AK, they're probably going to want to put more effort into building the fandoms around Zootopia (maybe Zootopia+ and a sequel will help?) and Moana.

SNS

I get what you mean. You will often see characters on tv shows making references to characters, quotes, concepts, etc to Harry Potter, Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, etc even when when said tv shows are owned by a rival company but the same isn't true for Avatar. Now this doesn't mean that Avatar is bad but you never really see anyone in those shows comment on that stuff when it comes to Avatar.

celluloid

Call it sacrilege, but I'd much rather have Dino-Rama in Animal Kingdom than a Moana land.
One objectively fits the mission statement of humans having passion for animals here and gone, even when misplaced and it compliments the ride that is science fiction adventure to see some living ones. for animals.

Moana is already getting a love for water exhibit based attraction over at EPCOT.

I don't blame you one bit.

And with the Capex budget changes of 700 million plus, do people really think we are still going to get all of the Blue Sky talk?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom