Your favourite attraction in each park and the reason why

mergatroid

Original Poster
I'd imagine this has probably been done before on here, but then again we've probably discussed pretty much everything on here before anyway. Anyhow as I'm a bit bored sat upstairs at home and trying to avoid Mrs M's annoying friend who is downstairs talking about her new curtains, I'll start

Magic Kingdom - Space Mountain - Loved it as a kid and so it holds a lot of nostalgic value to me. It has everything really. It looks superb from the outside both day and night, a wonderful queue that builds the suspense perfectly and the ride itself is good old fashioned fun. Of course there's bigger, faster, scarier coasters but there's something about the whole package that still makes it great.

Epcot - Spaceship Earth - Old school, iconic and the symbol of Epcot centre. Again a great nostalgic feel to it and also a great presentation. Has just the right duration to it and as Mrs M loves it too we always ride it together. A good way to relax and we nearly always ride it again on our way out.

Disney Hollywood Studios - Tower of Terror - I'd argue that it's up there with some of the best rides in the world, if not at the very top of the list. It looks superb both from afar and also from close up day or night The queue through the gardens is really creepy especially with that haunting music playing. The lobby interior is superb also and the idea of going through the library rooms and then into the basement is genius. The special effect are incredible in the ride itself, really, really outstanding and never cease to amaze me. Then to finish it off the fun and excitement of the drop. I remember the old days when the drops were always the same and have to say when they changed it to the present day random version, they improved it by doing so. A truly superb attraction in every way.

The Animal Kingdom - Kilimanjaro Safari - All round a good fun, educational and beautifully executed attraction. The first thing we do as soon as we enter the park on every visit. I love the natural feel to it and how close up you can actually get to the animals who all seem completely at ease and relaxed. The layout of it it brilliant too and you go from one area to another in a completely seamless fashion. Not sure I quite like the new ending they had last year as much, but it doesn't detract from a truly entertaining experience.

Ok, over to you :cool:

belledream

Love this idea! Sorry to hijack 2/4 of yours but that speaks to how awesome the rides obviously are! :p

Magic Kingdom - Space Mountain - I love the queue - it's dark, cool, and peaceful, and I just feel a sense of growing anticipation as I walk down that long strip with no one in front of me! I LOVE rollercoasters, and that feeling of losing your stomach as you drop, and Space Mountain has a few, sneaky little ones that go a long way. I could ride this ride over and over.

Epcot - Soarin' - Because I've never seen anything else quite like it. It always feels so surreal to me and gives me a different kind of jump in my stomach. I find new things to look at each time. My favorite scenes: the hot air balloons, the ocean, LA (I assume) at night, and of course, the hidden mickey firework ending. Also love the pine and orange smells! I also visited California for the first time last year and was like, "HEY! I saw that in Soarin'!"

Disney Hollywood Studios - Tower of Terror - TT is one of my absolute favorites (see the whole 'jumping stomach' thing). I especially love it at night, when the windows open and you get a great glimpse of HS twinkling away. Of course, the best feeling is when the elevator shoots upward and doesn't give you a chance to compose yourself before it drops you!

The Animal Kingdom - Dinosaur - My favorite ride in all of Disney and I'm not sure why...the ride is extensive and I like thrills I guess. I hate/love the Carnotaurus that chases after you. Even to this day, I find the ride so scary I refuse to sit on the edge. As a kid, I never noticed the dinosaur that came out at you at the end (probably cause my eyes were closed) so that scared the living adult out of me. :D

BransonJ

Magic kingdom
Haunted mansion
Halloween is my second favorite holiday and this ride brings me that feeling no matter the time of year. Plus everything I ride I see something different. Plus plus, the queue is eerie day or night which just adds to the suspense.

Epcot
Soarin
The music is what does it for me. Every time I hear the ride music it just transports me to a instant vacation. Not sure why it's just moving for me.

Hollywood studios
Tower if terror
Again, the queue has so much anticipation, the outside, the lobby, the library, the boiler room, it just transports you to a different time perfectly. Plus I'm mesmerized every time the lights go out and the stars show just before you start moving forward.

Animal kingdom
Dinosaur
This has always been one of my favorite rides. It has the most action for me since the AA are such a huge part of the ride.

Magenta Panther

Magic Kingdom: Used to be The Haunted Mansion. But with the effed-up queue and the lame-looking CGI ghosts, I...I don't know. The place kind of breaks my heart now. I'm not a Mansion purist, by the way...when I first saw glimpses of the queue additions, I thought they looked cool and I couldn't wait to see them...but then I SAW them, saw what all the new stuff did to the queue's wide walkway (turned it into two cramped claustrophobic HOT corridors, with the old tombstone props stuck willy-nilly everywhere and those corridors stuffed to the gills with interactive toys most guests ignore), and now I can't stand them. They've turned the queue into a freaking mess. Plus, when you finally get INTO the Mansion, there are all those pathetic annoying mid-ride halts to load and unload handicapped guests. Totally ruins the experience. It's as if the Tower of Terror's ride was stopped mid-elevator-drop to load and unload the handicapped. I wish - and I know this sounds awful - but I wish the handicapped simply werent allowed to rid the Mansion. It wasn't designed to accommodate them. And I wish the new queue could be restored to is former self. I wish TDO respected the Mansion more. It's pitiful now.

So...my NEW fave MK attraction? Splash Mountain. One of the best storytelling rides ever. Note-perfect. I just wish new AAs could be built for it that more closely resemble the characters from the movie. The current AAs look every dated, even after they're re-furred (and will SOMEBODY fix the damn Bluebird in the last scene at the ride's end? You hear him talking, but he doesn't move, just stares at you. Creepy! Zombie Bluebird).

Epcot: Maelstrom. I just love it. It's amazing for what it is - a C ticket, I suppose. But it demonstrates what can be done with a little money and a little intelligent planning. I never miss it when I'm at the World.

Animal Kingdom: I very seldom visit there, but if I had to choose an AK attraction worth seeing, I'd choose Tough to be a Bug. The Tree of Life is cool and so is the theater at its root. But personally, I think Bug should go and a new Lion King show should takes its place. It would be cheaper than building a Lion King dark ride - and when you say "cheaper", TDO's eyes light up, so it should be all good. :p (a Jungle Book show would work too.)

DHS: The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror. I can't top Mergatroid's description - he/she said it all for me - so I hope it's okay if I just paste it here: I'd argue that it's up there with some of the best rides in the world, if not at the very top of the list. It looks superb both from afar and also from close up day or night The queue through the gardens is really creepy especially with that haunting music playing. The lobby interior is superb also and the idea of going through the library rooms and then into the basement is genius. The special effect are incredible in the ride itself, really, really outstanding and never cease to amaze me. Then to finish it off the fun and excitement of the drop. I remember the old days when the drops were always the same and have to say when they changed it to the present day random version, they improved it by doing so. A truly superb attraction in every way.

Texas84

Tough one. I'm going to try and approach this as the whole family.
Epcot - Soarin', because we're a US Air Force family? And never got to fly off a carrier.
MK - BTMRR, fun thrills everyone can ride.
AK - Everest, what else is there?
DHS - Tower, I prefer RnRC but family consensus is Tower. Not everyone can do RnRC. Theming and anticipation are great on both but Tower wins overall.

Thrill

MK:
Haunted Mansion - It is the quintessential dark ride. It's funny, it's creepy, and it's deceptively simple. My only complaint is the new queue. Take that out, and it's a perfect attraction in every way.
Honorable Mentions: Pirates of the Caribbean (a very close second in the wake of Haunted Mansion's queue-pocalypse), Jungle Cruise, Big Thunder Mountain

Epcot:
Spaceship Earth - An architectural marvel, and a fantastic ride. As I prefer the Jeremy Irons narration, this is still an excellent attraction.
Honorable Mentions: Maelstrom, Test Track, Soarin'

DHS:
Tower of Terror - The quintessential thrill ride. It delivers on thrills, and it does so with attention to detail which is matched by only a small handful of other rides. Definitely one of the most "complete" rides ever built.
Honorable Mentions: Great Movie Ride, Toy Story Mania, Star Tours

AK:
Expedition Everest - Very nearly matches Tower of Terror. The effects are a far cry from operational, but yet again, it is an excellent thrill ride with solid attention to detail.
Honorable Mentions: Kilamanjaro Safarais, Dinosaur, Festival of the Lion King

Last edited:

PolynesianPrincess

MK: Space Mountain - This coaster is nothing spectacular and actually pretty small, but the way it's presented is really awesome. The pitch black makes you feel you're going faster than you are and that the drops are bigger than they seem! I just love it! (Honorable mention - Haunted Mansion)

Epcot: Soarin - This ride is so unique and the soundtrack is AWESOME! I love riding top row, middle and the scents they pump into the room help make it seem that much more real. (The orange scent reminds me of the orange groves from Horizons!) (Honorable mention - Spaceship Earth)

MGM: Tower of Terror - Everything about this ride from beginning to end is so well done.. The queue, the exterior of the Hollywood Tower Hotel, the interior of the lobby, the boiler room... everything is done with amazing attention to detail. Not to mention the thrill of the drops.. I always "lose my stomach"! lol (Honorable mention - Rock N Roller Coaster)

Animal Kingdom: Dinosaur - I don't know why but I have ALWAYS loved this ride. It's just fun! And when all the AA's are working properly, it's really well done. Not to mention the pre-show and attraction itself have so many good quotes! ;) (Honorable mention - Kilamanjaro Safari)

FettFan

The Haunted Mansion - Classic Disney + my love of a good ghost story.

Living with the Land - Speaking as a Louisiana farmboy, LwtL is a must-do each trip. It's quiet, relaxing, and I actually do get a thrill or two from watching the aeroponics at work.

Star Tours - Oh come on, my username here is "Fett Fan" and my avatar is me wearing Boba Fett's helmet.

Expedition Everest - Even if the Yeti is broken....there's really not much else at Animal Kingdom. And at least the Yeti not moving doesn't shut down the whole thing. The same cannot be said for Kilimanjaro Safaris, where if an errant giraffe decides to stop in the middle of the road, you ain't going nowhere til he moves.
Also KS was effectively neutered when Disney removed the Big Red/Little Red storyline and poacher shootout.

RMichael21

Magic Kingdom - Splash Mountain : Because it's one of the first rides I remember riding with just my dad.

Disney's Animal Kingdom - Kilimanjaro Safaris : Because it's also one of the first rides I remember riding and also, I used to be obsessed with animals and the whole "zoo" thing.

Epcot - Soarin' : Because it's just awesome

Disney's Hollywood Studios - Tower of Terror : Because I just rode it for the first time in April (I know, crazy right). This is why. Ever since I was little, I have always loved thrill rides. The only thing that I was deafly afraid of was drop tower rides. When i first tried a medium-sized one at a local amusement park, I loved it. I eventually worked my way up to the giant ones at Dorney Park and Six Flags. But, when we went back to WDW in April of last year, I tried the Tower of Terror and LOVED it.

Jessica Meier

I'm gonna get flack for this but here we go!!!!

MK- Storytime with Belle. Nothing like the magic of being transported somewhere totally different. Its a Small World is Probably a close second for me just because it is quintessential Disney.

Epcot- Soarin for a ride. Walking the WS for just experience. Getting lost in your surroundings and forgetting that you are actually in Orlando is after all what WDW does best.

HS- Hollywood Tower of Terror. I could walk the que a million times and find something I've never seen. Transporting you to a lost time and space....putting the chill in your spine. And that's just the que. The ride is just adrenaline and pure fun!

AK- Everest is awesome but nothing says AK to me more than Festival of the Lion King....and the safari. Hmmm tough one. I also like to just walk through this park and marvel at the detail. I never feel like I am in a theme park or zoo.

EPCOT Center - Journey Into Imagination and The Image Works: The Creative Playground of the Future (Original Version) : I've never rode this version in person but I'm a huge fan of it by watching YouTube videos and thought it was a gorgeous and great ride and I love the characters, Dreamfinder & Figment. The current version with Dr. Nigel Channing and the Imagination Institute however is awful (I rode this one in person last year not knowing it had changed)

Disneyland/Magic Kingdom - Splash Mountain : I love the movie Song of the South and I love Br'er Rabbit and the other characters. Again, wonderful ride at both parks.

Disneyland- Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin : I love the movie, Who Framed Roger Rabbit and the ride is a childhood favorite of mine. Definitley a must do when I go to Disneyland.

Disney's Hollywood Studios- Walt Disney: One Man's Dream: two words! it's awesome!

Mr Anderson

Magic Kingdom - Splash Mountain
No ride in WDW makes me feel like a little kid more than Splash Mountain. The way you can just sit there, relax, and cool off while being immersed in pure Disney fun makes me grin from ear to ear. And the giant hidden Mickey right before the big drop is awesome! Last trip, we were lucky enough to ride this wonderful ride 5 times straight with NO lines thanks to evening EMH.
Honorable Mention - Haunted Mansion
For whatever reason, I wasn't a big fan the first time we went, but now I absolutely love it! The narration, the songs, the cool old school effects... it adds up to a great big dose of DIsney magic for me.

Epcot - Soarin'
What can I say? The sights, the scents, the feeling of escape that overwhelms you... I just love it. Sure, the screen/video needs some serious (SERIOUS) maintenance, but I just cannot get enough of this ride. My wife and I even found Scentsy scents to recreate a piece of the magic of this ride in our home. I truly hope the HD update, 3rd theater addition, and Soarin' Over the World turn out to be more than rumors.
Honorable Mention - Impressions de France
This is kind of a placeholder since we haven't actually gone on this ride yet, but we love this track on the WDW Soundtrack and can't wait to find this gem and enjoy it.

Hollywood Studios - Tower of Terror
In my opinion, ToT is the most complete ride in all of WDW. I say this because it encompasses all the components of the perfect Disney ride... super detailed queue, awesome story, slick effects, exciting ride... AND it has the bonus of being different EVERY SINGLE TIME YOU RIDE! We've been able to ride ToT several times in a row on every trip thus far... I hope the luck continues on this trip!
Honorable Mention - Star Tours
Loved it when I was a kid, and love the refresh they did on it. I do wish the scene selections were more random; we rode 7 times last trip and the 2nd half was the same EVERY time, I kid you not. Although I am angry my wife has been a rebel spy TWICE and I've never been one even ONCE, this ride is something I look forward too every time I step foot in DHS.

Animal Kingdom - Expedition Everest
Even though I don't think I've ever seen the Yeti fully operational except in video... I love this ride. It's just exciting enough to make you lurch a little bit, but not so much that you walk off feeling sick to your stomach.
Honorable Mention - Kali River Rapids
Much more exciting and fun than any River Rapids ride I've been on before. I really hope the flames and the missing effects from last time have returned when we go in December... or this one might get kicked off the list. C'mon Disney.

EaglesfanNJ

Good thread idea....I'm in.

MK - Splash for me hands down. The theming, music, ending, it screams " Ahh I'm in Disney" once I ride it.
AK- Sadly a half day park for the Eagle-family. Safari and not even close.
HS - Toy Story in another landslide for me. Once rode three times in a day during September post-Labor Day crowds. My 5 year old DD has ridden 20 times.
EP- Hard to argue with Soarin.

ZodIsGr8

Magic Kingdom is Jungle Cruise and PoTC. I love the skippers on the Jungle Cruise as each one adds their own unique flare to the ride and that causes the ride to never get old. PoTC just because it is PoTC. It also has my favorite queue in all of MK, although the new FP + has kind of ruined that.

Epcot would be e Grand Fiesta Tour. I am probably the only one who has referenced that ride as my favorite but it is just special to our family and very relaxing. Not to mention you can always just walk on to it!

Hollywood Studios would definitely be ToT. Possibly the best queue and theming of any Disney Ride.

Animal Kimgdom would have to be EE and the safari.

Hotel Resort would have to be the must dos with Stacey.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom