Wow!!! The Fantasy had THE RIDE last night!!!

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
Thanks Unk! Got it!

B4F9CEE1-FA1C-47DC-BAE9-D7979AE4E933-10076-000006E77746E1AE.jpg

flynnibus

Premium Member
sharing it to facebook via like.. and then having low permissions on the post in FB may work too.. haven't tried it myself.

Friday was a wild night on the ship. I have a few pics of the white caps. I only wish that I had gotten video from the Farewell show in the Walt Disney Theatre. (Deck 3 and 4, Forward) there was a lot of movement during the 6:15 show. Definitely a memorable vacation and first cruise. I look forward to going when there is no hurricanes around....Maybe December.

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
Friday was a wild night on the ship. I have a few pics of the white caps. I only wish that I had gotten video from the Farewell show in the Walt Disney Theatre. (Deck 3 and 4, Forward) there was a lot of movement during the 6:15 show. Definitely a memorable vacation and first cruise. I look forward to going when there is no hurricanes around....Maybe December.

Glad you're okay, Mandi. On another forum people are describing a pretty horrendous experience...using words like "shell-shocked", "psycologically effected", and things like that. I don't want to minimize what they're feeling because I know from experience that when you go thru something really big where you're under extreme stress/strain, especially with fear, it will make you feel like your brain is not quite right. Glad you're still willing to cruise again. Hey, 25% off is a nice start, huh?

So how was the rest of the voyage???

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
There is video on CNN this morning.

Oh yeah. I saw that yesterday. It was pretty wild. There's been some great narratives from some of the passengers on another forum that describe really well how violent the motion was along with the groans, creeks, and loud sounds they heard.

Apparently the Dream didn't have a very magical 3-night voyage while the storm was in the area of the Bahamas. They went to NO ports at all and people are reporting that the Aqua Duck, pools, and all exterior decks were strictly off limits. So they had to stay inside and have a 3-night cruise to nowhere. Seas weren't as violent as the Fantasy had but still rough; many people were sick. Sounds awful! They were offered 25% off a future 3-night cruise only. Another point that I noted was that many passengers contacted Disney and their travel insurance companies to attempt to reschedule prior to boarding. Disney wouldn't reschedule them and just about everyone said their travel insurance didn't cover weather-related incidents. One cruiser said, "That's why I always add the extra 'for any reason' coverage onto my travel insurance!" Food for thought!

iloverags2

Glad you're okay, Mandi. On another forum people are describing a pretty horrendous experience...using words like "shell-shocked", "psycologically effected", and things like that. I don't want to minimize what they're feeling because I know from experience that when you go thru something really big where you're under extreme stress/strain, especially with fear, it will make you feel like your brain is not quite right. Glad you're still willing to cruise again. Hey, 25% off is a nice start, huh?

So how was the rest of the voyage???
Another person glad you made it back safe and sound!

Agreed with Kelly about not wanting to minimize what anyone is feeling - different situations will elicit different reactions from all people. What everyone does need to understand is that the Captain did what he does best - sailed the ship to safety. A few Carnival ships did in fact stay out a day longer, but if you had watched them pass the Ft. Lauderdale webcam (they were hugging the coast at that point) a day late, it was very noticable they were being tossed about as well regardless that they stayed out a day later. I don't think there was anywhere to go at the time. Ships that were in the general vicinity were just very unlucky. (And if anyone had watched the NY harbor webcam last night, you would have seen a slew of ships sailing out right into the storm!)

Again, glad you are ok and hope we hear from others soon!

ILDisneyFan

OMG! I would've been a little freaked out and most likely pretty sea sick! Glad everyone made it through that okay! I've been on 2 cruises (1 Carnival & 1 Royal Caribbean) the first cruise was on Royal Caribbean and the seas were very calm, of course, this was in July early 2000's I believe. The second cruise I went on was on Carnival in March 2009 and the 'ol seas were pretty rough. Things were thrown around and I was feeling a little green. I feel sorry for these people but at least Disney gave them a discount on a future cruise which is awesome! :)

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
Yeah, Cindy, as awful as it was for all the passengers onboard and I totally understand what they're feeling (seriously, I do), it was going to be a miserable experience no matter what. Hurricanes are not pleasant from any angle.

I guess it's human nature to need somewhere to lay blame when something so awful happens to people. I mean, hey, it was said that Katrina was something George W did. o_O On other forums people (both passengers who were there and those who are reading the tales of it) are absolutely certain that the captain sailed knowingly into the storm disregarding safety to keep to the schedule. That confuses me. Whatever decisions the captain made were the best that he could. Thankfully, the majority of people will never know what it's like to be in a position where you literally have the lives of others in your hands 100%. It's difficult. When weather gets involved, especially hurricanes, things are impossible to predict with total accuracy. There's no textbook that dictates what hurricanes will or won't do. It seems the ship sailed into conditions they weren't anticipating otherwise there would've been more prep done by the crew before everything went crashing about causing damage. I've seen hurricanes do some strange things. In 2008, Ike hit Galveston as a strong category 2 but pushed a storm surge that was more akin to a category 5. Even with Sandy, my first look at wunderground.com and I was like "What's the big deal? It's a cat.1." Well, the effects won't be what a cat. 1 normally would be because of other systems interacting with it. There's no way of really knowing exactly what it will be like. Again, there's no textbook that says THIS is what's going to happen. Mother Nature has a way of keeping us in check and reminding us that we are at her mercy always. So I'm sorta perplexed as to why people point fingers and say "The captain knew and sailed into it anyway." I think ship captains may be similar to 911/communications officers in that people expect them to know everything 100% of the time but when weather comes into play that's just not possible. Oftentimes what we anticipate, in spite of all the data, knowledge, experience, and historical information, isn't what actually happens.

Again, my heart truly goes out to those who went thru all that. I realize it was terrifying and have no doubt people were scared to death. I hate they had that experience at all. That's so sad...when a Disney cruise is usually so awesome.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I'm sure the worst of it for people was the sustained duration of the event. It's one thing to get tossed around.. it's another thing to have it last an hour, three, or even twelve. People break down and with no control over it.. people really can get themselves worked up.

25% really sounds like a pittance from DCL given the severity (especially that 3 day cruise). At that point, Disney should be figuring out the cheapest way to get them back on board possible. Maybe not free cruise whenever you want.. but I would love to see 75% off or maybe 'free cruise where we have extra space..' type of last minute fillers.

Not because the company 'owes' them - but because of the expectation of customer service of DCL.

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
Flynn, that's very true about the duration. It's been 7 years since Katrina but still have times when my brain will switch and the shadows are there again. Sometimes I bite it back with no problem. sometimes I need to have a good cry. It had everything to do with the prolonged amount of time under very extreme stress, fear, and intensity. Not just hours. Days. Weeks. Reading a the accounts from this Fantasy sailing touches it and brings it back for me a bit. Best thing I would say is to not hold onto it too tight. Find a way to express it all and let it out. :)

mickey2008.1

The 25% is reasonable. I have been on cruises and in two hurricanes, one on land, and one at sea. It's the chance you take during hurricane season. We were at WDW when Fred came through years ago, shows were canceled, rides closed, parks closed, but no discount was offered. Why? Because "WDW is not affected by weather related situations" So I think it's a pretty good offer. Glad to see everyone ok and back to safety.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Yeah, Cindy, as awful as it was for all the passengers onboard and I totally understand what they're feeling (seriously, I do), it was going to be a miserable experience no matter what. Hurricanes are not pleasant from any angle.

I guess it's human nature to need somewhere to lay blame when something so awful happens to people. I mean, hey, it was said that Katrina was something George W did. o_O On other forums people (both passengers who were there and those who are reading the tales of it) are absolutely certain that the captain sailed knowingly into the storm disregarding safety to keep to the schedule. That confuses me. Whatever decisions the captain made were the best that he could. Thankfully, the majority of people will never know what it's like to be in a position where you literally have the lives of others in your hands 100%. It's difficult. When weather gets involved, especially hurricanes, things are impossible to predict with total accuracy. There's no textbook that dictates what hurricanes will or won't do. It seems the ship sailed into conditions they weren't anticipating otherwise there would've been more prep done by the crew before everything went crashing about causing damage. I've seen hurricanes do some strange things. In 2008, Ike hit Galveston as a strong category 2 but pushed a storm surge that was more akin to a category 5. Even with Sandy, my first look at wunderground.com and I was like "What's the big deal? It's a cat.1." Well, the effects won't be what a cat. 1 normally would be because of other systems interacting with it. There's no way of really knowing exactly what it will be like. Again, there's no textbook that says THIS is what's going to happen. Mother Nature has a way of keeping us in check and reminding us that we are at her mercy always. So I'm sorta perplexed as to why people point fingers and say "The captain knew and sailed into it anyway." I think ship captains may be similar to 911/communications officers in that people expect them to know everything 100% of the time but when weather comes into play that's just not possible. Oftentimes what we anticipate, in spite of all the data, knowledge, experience, and historical information, isn't what actually happens.

Again, my heart truly goes out to those who went thru all that. I realize it was terrifying and have no doubt people were scared to death. I hate they had that experience at all. That's so sad...when a Disney cruise is usually so awesome.
Someone would complain no matter what the captain did. Had they stayed in port you would have a couple thousand people on the ship complaining that they were stranded and could no get home from the port as well as a similar number complaining that they had no accommodations for a ship arriving a day late. The ship, passengers and crew arrived safe and with one hell of a story.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom