Wow!!! The Fantasy had THE RIDE last night!!!

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
Saw Joanna's post to Instagram this morning of what appeared to be every passenger on the Fantasy in the atrium anxiously waiting to get off the ship. Went to find more info and read some detailed reports of the ride from hell overnight with the ship listing to some degree, shaking, and rocking big time. The captain asked everyone to stay in their staterooms around 1 a.m. then came back on to assure everyone the ship was safe. Apparently she was a little late docking this morning and was assisted by 3 tugs. I wonder how the additional cleanup from everything being strewn around will affect embarking passengers today?

Carnival elected to stay out an extra day and dock in Port Canaveral tomorrow instead of today. One person on the Fantasy last night has heavily criticized DCL for not doing the same. As he stated, even if there was no danger the discomfort and terror of the passengers might have been better playing a bigger role in the decision. ((I have no opinion either way...if I had been onboard I would've wanted to sail thru the super seas but that's just me.))

Sooooo, eagerly awaiting videos to YouTube and Joanna's account of it all! I'm glad she made it back safe!!!!

TDF

I am also surprised that the Fantasy didn’t opt to stay out an extra night. I do however believe that Disney would never do anything on purpose to harm their passengers and if it is safe they could make it in. I am so sorry she had such a bad trip! I hope besides the storm everything was okay. I know the ship didn’t make it to Castaway Cay and i’m sure it was raining! Ugh… it’s never good to cruise like that!

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
Hey! DCL offered the debarking passengers from the Fantasy 25% off a future cruise or a WDW trip. Nice!

I don't think the passengers were in any danger. I read that the captain is a Norwegian Sea captain with decades of experience. I'm sure he's navigated seas far bigger than what the Fantasy experienced last night. My dad tells crazy stories about being in the North Sea and the North Atlantic with waves that made the ships he was on look like little toys. I don't believe the passengers were ever in any danger at all. Those that aren't familiar with giant seas or know what ships are capable of were probably totally freaked, tho. Dad says he could always tell the guys who were "fresh" because if they weren't green and puking they would be on the floor crying for their mothers or begging God for mercy. Apparently the salty old guys found this quite humorous back in the day. LOL!

I think DCL made the right call. As unfortunate as it is that the passengers had to ride that mess out last night, as long as there was no danger then the discomfort was what had to happen to avoid having to rearrange flights, hotels, food, transport, etc. etc. for TWICE that number of people because docking a day later would also adversely affect the embarking passengers travel.

jme

Some pictures from the Fantasy as posted by a user from another site.

Broken windows from tables sliding into them:
w8V4k.jpeg

Some SERIOUS rocking to do this:
0h101.jpeg

Billy6

Hey! DCL offered the debarking passengers from the Fantasy 25% off a future cruise or a WDW trip. Nice!

I don't think the passengers were in any danger. I read that the captain is a Norwegian Sea captain with decades of experience. I'm sure he's navigated seas far bigger than what the Fantasy experienced last night. My dad tells crazy stories about being in the North Sea and the North Atlantic with waves that made the ships he was on look like little toys. I don't believe the passengers were ever in any danger at all. Those that aren't familiar with giant seas or know what ships are capable of were probably totally freaked, tho. Dad says he could always tell the guys who were "fresh" because if they weren't green and puking they would be on the floor crying for their mothers or begging God for mercy. Apparently the salty old guys found this quite humorous back in the day. LOL!

I think DCL made the right call. As unfortunate as it is that the passengers had to ride that mess out last night, as long as there was no danger then the discomfort was what had to happen to avoid having to rearrange flights, hotels, food, transport, etc. etc. for TWICE that number of people because docking a day later would also adversely affect the embarking passengers travel.

Capitan Marco! Met him on our trip and he looked the part! I'm sure he could have successfully navigated the sea. However, I'm am happy they all made it home safely.

Disneyfalcon

Those pictures are amazing.

I agree, they needed to come in if they could to avoid a transportation nightmare for those disembarking today. I had a feeling they would do something to make the passengers feel a little better, i.e. the 25% off. If the ship is a wreck today, they could offer something similar to those getting on.

harveyt0206

Wow! Just wow! I hope everyone is okay, and not too many people had to deal with extreme sea sickness. I have no doubt that I would have been terrified AND sick sick sick.

Thank you for posting the pictures. That is very interesting to see. Joanna's trip report is going to be incredibly interesting.

TDF

I hope the ship is repaired by August! Anyway, glad that it got in and everyone is safe, any plans on when they are fixing the ship up?
- Justin

Disneyfalcon

I hope the ship is repaired by August! Anyway, glad that it got in and everyone is safe, any plans on when they are fixing the ship up?
- Justin

They are doing it as we speak I'm sure. I'm sure it will be completely fixed by the end of this cruise.

Disneykidder

My friends son just started working today on the Fantasy!! I gues he just missed all the drama!!

I'm glad everyone is ok and Disney offered something to please the displeased.

TDF

Does anyone know if it got out yet? I don’t see it on the live cam but yet it is dark and according to marine tracker it’s still in Port Canaveral but that doesn’t mean anything!

TDF

Ouch that is probably going to be one late arrival into Grand Cayman! Let’s hope of smoother seas this time.

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
Can you share Joanna's Instagram post here in the forum? I have to admit, I'm really glad I wasn't on that cruise.
Chuck, I don't know how to do that with the Instagram pics. It's hard to see my display out here in the sun. Later tonight when I get home I'll try again. I'm worried about Joanna, tho. It was so bad it seems there's a looooot of people who are shell-shocked trying to process a very traumatic experience. If you've ever been thru a super-fear-stress experience you'll know the emotion(s).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom