Wow! Monorail Orange.

JoeCamel

That's the thing. The water isn't coming from the air conditioning system, but from the humid air itself. The panel gets very cold, so when the doors open the water condenses and eventually starts dripping. Its no different than a pair of glasses fogging up after being inside when stepping outside into the heat. There is nothing inherently wrong with the unit, it just sort of happens.
It is a design problem. When the AC works it is undersized for Florida so it allows insufficent air flow for the Florida conditions Maybe they just couldn't understand this in Canada but it is how the system was designed.

Take away is to not sit in the rear seats of any car when the AC works on humid days. If you do have a towel or poncho handy as the seat will be wet

nace888

Okay so supposedly Orange had gotten into a ding with a tractor? Is this true?

In the video I saw, they also mentioned that Blue and Orange just had paint redone (right), and they mentioned Black and Gold next, with new interior? O_O

Cesar R M

It could be. I'm not sure how the condensate from the A/C drains on the monorails, but if its pumped out this would make sense as I only noticed when the power was cycled. I could've just not noticed until I looked over and it was dripping all along, or it could've happened because of the power cycle. Not sure. I originally considered this but it was just a lot more water than should be coming from the A/C.

I will say this though. When I informed a CM (monorail attendant) about the water leaking he just walked away. He didn't even acknowledge me or anything. I have no idea whether the issue was addressed or not. I had my wife and 18mo daughter and couldn't really hang around.
There is the possibility that the outsider condenser was almost frozen solid (happens when theres debris blocking most of the air flow) or if there is no enough refrigerant moving around).
So when the power was down, the thing started to melt.

And since most of the "water" retention systems in A.C.s are small. The amount of water when all the ice melted.. made it overflow dramatically.

monothingie

Official Lowerer of $DIS stock price
Premium Member
I was stuck the other day @ Poly for about 5 minutes while they rebooted the computer due to the doors not opening. No big deal. But during this time, I noticed a lot of water coming in from the top of the train. It reminded me that the last few years I've noticed a steady downtrend in the monorails appearance.

I commented to my wife regarding the deplorable state of the monorail fleet and was thinking that with the current trend of cost saving TDO's bean counters continue to follow, we will probably see the slow demise of the monorail system altogether. I hope I'm wrong but it just seems apparent that TDO isn't concerned with keeping the fleet up to standards.

Just curious did you get the automated spiel about the Monorail rebooting? It happened to me in September but I didn't get a chance to record it in time. I've also been on the Monorail when they used to do Mapo checks with guests on board in the afternoon. I was on the Epcot line and got an automated spiel about a pending Mapo check and a that the Monorail would come to a sudden stop. I would love to know if anyone has a complete set of recordings of the various spiels.

Bender123

Was there last week and the state of the monorails was pretty awful...from gashes in the paint to the accordion things between cars sagging so low (and some had gashes in them) that you could see the spaces between the cars. The interior is a mess of broken panels, broken AC, carpet pulling up and just dirt and grime.

It was really sad...

Figment2005

Was there last week and the state of the monorails was pretty awful...from gashes in the paint to the accordion things between cars sagging so low (and some had gashes in them) that you could see the spaces between the cars. The interior is a mess of broken panels, broken AC, carpet pulling up and just dirt and grime.

It was really sad...
You are aware that this thread was created because Disney is currently in the process of fixing all of those issues, right?

Bender123

You are aware that this thread was created because Disney is currently in the process of fixing all of those issues, right?

Yes...it's just a shame that such things were allowed to happen in the first place. The monorail system used to be a unique system and source of pride. Now it's looking like a New York subway.

IanDLBZF

Just wanted to mention that the monorail hours have changed recently, and the Resort and Epcot monorails now run until 1 hour after the latest park closing. During PM EMH they now run until 30-60 minutes after that park's EMH concludes. The Epcot monorail now opens at 7:30 AM no matter what.

monothingie

Premium Member
Well I bear the bad yet not surprising news. Many large scratches and dents on orange already. I will reserve judgment on who's to blame.

I don't know if there are any Monorail CM who can comment. It it seems like the automation system is running the trains much less efficiently. There are new speed limits, the station approach and departure speeds are much slower, and the computer is very heavy handed on the brakes to correct for speed variations and stopping at stations.

Cesar R M

Well I bear the bad yet not surprising news. Many large scratches and dents on orange already. I will reserve judgment on who's to blame.

I don't know if there are any Monorail CM who can comment. It it seems like the automation system is running the trains much less efficiently. There are new speed limits, the station approach and departure speeds are much slower, and the computer is very heavy handed on the brakes to correct for speed variations and stopping at stations.
The scratches are of the monorail hitting the borders of the stations or what?

*Q*

...the computer is very heavy handed on the brakes to correct for speed variations and stopping at stations.
That's interesting to hear, I wouldn't imagine that an automated system would be harder on the brakes than a lot of pilots have been over the years coming out of the Contemporary and stuff.

Chef Mickey

No matter what Disney does, they'll be criticized for it. Disney cleans up the outside:

*Disgruntled Disney Guest*

1) Well, the inside is absolutely trashed! Not like they are going to repair that anytime soon!
2) Well, ABOUT TIME. They should always look perfect no matter what. I mean, it's Disney and I'm paying to be there!
3) Well, this won't last long.
4) This doesn't fix the dying monorail system that is crumbling and always late!
5) Maybe they could invest in computer systems that don't crash into each other!

/*Disgruntled Disney Guest*

monothingie

Premium Member
That's interesting to hear, I wouldn't imagine that an automated system would be harder on the brakes than a lot of pilots have been over the years coming out of the Contemporary and stuff.

I guess the computer can't handle acceleration the way a human would, same with deceleration. It knows it is limited to a certain speed and if it deviates it has to brake, unlike a pilot who would adjust the throttle. Maybe these are just the limitations of the system but it is disappointing that the result is not an improvement.

I should add that all the automated spiels are totally screwed up because of this, they either miss thier queues to play or a timed totally incorrectly.

matt9112

In Tokyo, the guests actually respect property, so things stay nicer for longer.

if you toss out animals eventually people will act like humans in the year 2017. when you d or meet a dress code at a club or act liked a fool your tossed. that's how it should be. those rules exist yet I have seen people urinating in flower beds sooo.....

matt9112

We can't have nice things ...

here's the deal if we convince a majority of share holders to vote for me to be the next CEO I will give you new trains. that's a promise and you know what I will run the biz for only a mil a year. save some cost even! oh and I will shift all parks and resorts spending allocated for California to Florida ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom