World Series

GenerationX

Thanks for the well wishes, congratulations, and general rooting from you non-Chicagoans, SpongeScott, Wilt Dasney, Nemo14, and imagineer boy! :wave: :wave:

I went to the Victory Celebration downtown today, and there were estimates of 100,000 people there. It was the happiest place on ... in Chicago. The biggest cheers went to Konerko and Guillen, though I cheered just as loudly for many others (GM Kenny Williams, owner Jerry Reinsdorf, CF Aaron Rowand, and each of the four ace starting pitchers to name a few).

Good luck to everyone next season. If my team's not in it, I'll root for one of yours. :wave:

Number_6

imagineer boy said:
Now, I have a VERY good feeling about the cards next year. A brand spanking new stadium, and some adjustments to our bull pen, and we shall be awesome!

Although, really... how much better can they get? They're already a fantastic team. Haven't they lead the majors in wins for at least the last two seasons? Part of what will determine how they do next year, though, will be dependant on if the new stadium is a "hitters" park or a "pitchers" park. If its a park that favors hitters, then it will be scary to see the stats for guys like Pujols next season. If it favors pitchers, then the ERA for your starters and by extension your bullpen should remain fairly low. I think during the regular season, you'll still be fine either way. The only thing the Cards need now, is to win the really big games. Last year it was like they didn't even show up for the World Series. This year, they had a hard time with the Astros in the NLCS. I like the Cards for the most part. Some of my favorite players back when I was growing up were on that team(Ozzie Smith, Willie McGee). I'm hoping they are not starting a trend where they make it to the playoffs and get eliminated earlier each time. Or start pulling an Atlanta and getting there every year without any real payoff. Anyway, good luck to the Cards next year(though if the Red Sox make it back, then all bets are off. Also, I'm kinda pulling for the Cubs now since they have gone the absolute longest without a World Series win) and remember, the most important thing is to enjoy a good game. Though it is alot more enjoyable when your team wins.

imagineer boy

Number_6 said:
Although, really... how much better can they get? They're already a fantastic team. Haven't they lead the majors in wins for at least the last two seasons? Part of what will determine how they do next year, though, will be dependant on if the new stadium is a "hitters" park or a "pitchers" park. If its a park that favors hitters, then it will be scary to see the stats for guys like Pujols next season. If it favors pitchers, then the ERA for your starters and by extension your bullpen should remain fairly low. I think during the regular season, you'll still be fine either way. The only thing the Cards need now, is to win the really big games. Last year it was like they didn't even show up for the World Series. This year, they had a hard time with the Astros in the NLCS. I like the Cards for the most part. Some of my favorite players back when I was growing up were on that team(Ozzie Smith, Willie McGee). I'm hoping they are not starting a trend where they make it to the playoffs and get eliminated earlier each time. Or start pulling an Atlanta and getting there every year without any real payoff. Anyway, good luck to the Cards next year(though if the Red Sox make it back, then all bets are off. Also, I'm kinda pulling for the Cubs now since they have gone the absolute longest without a World Series win) and remember, the most important thing is to enjoy a good game. Though it is alot more enjoyable when your team wins.

Thank you.:wave: Our only weaknesses this year were our weak bullpen, and a little bit of lackluster pitching ( Matt Morris really played a bunch of terrible games near the end of the season. ) If we just traded for better pitchers for the bullpen, then we should be ready to go for next year.

Great link BTW. :lol:

GenerationX

I'd root for the Yankees. I managed one of my son's baseball teams this year, and we were the Yankees (which means I even have an official Yankee cap). I've never hated the Yankees. Disliked, sure, but never hated. Since there are Red Sox fans here, and one of my best friends is a Red Sox fan, I would still root for them over the Yankees. I'd definitely root for the Yankees over the Twins, though.

FanofDinsey1981

whew. I got back from Houston last night, and I have to say the city of chicago is still buzzin' after the world series.

Wednesday night, it was my family around my dads HD bigscreen in Bourbonnais, IL. It was great celebrating with my dad and sister (and two cubs fans) in the same room where we celebrated 4 of the 6 Bulls Championships. The second to last out by Uribe really got us going, that catch in the crowd was great (one cubs fan in the room kept yelling "Bartman! where is Bartman!") and that final out to get the runner by a half step....whew. what a game.

We then drove up to Alsip to our hotel, and we could hear honking and celebrating well into the night. I got about 2 hours sleep, I was so excited and my mind was racing about the world series and about vacation. we got up at 5:30 am, we were on the road to Midway at 6:30 am, and I was sitting eating breakfast and reading my 3 newspapers by7:30 AM. I was in heaven, and a lot of other sox fans were walking like they were on cloud nine! Once we checked in at our hotel south of Houston, I was able to sit down and read the Houston side of things. It is very intersting seeing chicago celebrating, then 12 hours later seeing houston sad and not celebrating.

My husband and I stopped by Minute Maid Park and walked around, what an amazing ballpark, at least from the outside. When we flew out yesterday afternoon, I was able to see into the park too. I wish I would have gotten to see my white sox win there, but it was great to see a team come together like they did and win it all in a sweep.

FanofDinsey1981

imagineer boy said:
CARPENTER WON THE CY YOUNG AWARD!!!!! WHOO HOO!!!!!:sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy: Well done! He deserved it.

it was very deserved. he had a monster year!

I am happy that Ozzie won manager of the year, though I was surprised that the sox were pretty much shut out of the other awards. I was hoping for gold glove for Aaron Rowand, maybe a rookie of the year for Iguchi. Oh well, a world series championship will work just fine. ;)

Safari Giraffe

FanofDinsey1981 said:
it was very deserved. he had a monster year!

I am happy that Ozzie won manager of the year, though I was surprised that the sox were pretty much shut out of the other awards. I was hoping for gold glove for Aaron Rowand, maybe a rookie of the year for Iguchi. Oh well, a world series championship will work just fine. ;)

I second that. As a White Sox Fan....I think they have been left out of alot of things (as well as being under-rated). Maybe now that they won the World Series they will get more respect.:)

mountainmaster1

They did deserve to win. Ozzie is a great manager and they have been waiting the longest next to their cross town rivals the Cubs. Congratulations White Sox.:sohappy:

imagineer boy

ALBERT PUJOLS IS THE MVP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

Yes! He deserved it. Wow, a Cy Young winner and MVP on the same team at once? When's the last time that happened?

imagineer boy

Hey cardinals fans! I just read that shortstop David Eckstein just got married, and he and his wife are honey mooning in WDW! It said that he originally proposed to her there. Wow, that's cool! One of my favourite players is a Disney freak like me! How bout that. :lol:

Dwarful

David Eckstein is a top notch guy. You couldn't ask for a better class of player to be in the Cardinals orginization. Glad to know he's one of us (wdw freaks that is).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom