WORLD OF COLOR CELEBRATE! - Photos/Video, Reviews & Thoughts

Crazydisneyfanluke

What are the chances of them updating the old WOC show to include the new effects added for Celebrate?
Also, Any news on when Celebrate will end? I know its mentioned to run through to the end of the 60th, but it was mentioned in another thread it might not.

Porkybabe101

I haven't seen the original World of Color, although i was at Disneyland a few weeks ago (my very first trip) and i thoroughly enjoyed World of Color Celebrate! I honestly enjoyed it more than Illuminations at Epcot. I wouldn't mind seeing Epcot replace Illuminations with World of Color eventually.

Twilight_Roxas

What are the chances of them updating the old WOC show to include the new effects added for Celebrate?
Also, Any news on when Celebrate will end? I know its mentioned to run through to the end of the 60th, but it was mentioned in another thread it might not.
I agree I would love to see the original WoC use the projections on Mickey's Fun Wheel.

Nextinline

For those who aren't WoC fans, I'm curious as to why exactly?

The way I see it, all shows have two parts; the physical aspects (what you physically see and hear) and the "story" behind what you're seeing and hearing. For example, if you take your all time favorite firework show and compare it to your all time least favorite firework show both had fireworks, both had Disney music, maybe both had some projection work and some voice overs. If this is true, it's the story that differentiates the two, which makes a lot of sense. I'd imagine your annual community fair firework show doesn't compare to RDCT or Wishes or whatever even though physically they may be similar (pyrotechnically speaking). Fireworks and music by themselves aren't overly impressive, it takes a good story to really be memorable.

WoC is different though. The ONLY time/place anyone can see such a performance is at DCA. & IMO (you may disagree) the effects used in WoC are physically more impressive than a firework going off. So does the "story" influence your opinion SO much that the visual effects of WoC do nothing for you? Or is the story SO bad that the effects can't make up for it? Or I am just completely off base?

Figments Friend

The way I see it, all shows have two parts; the physical aspects (what you physically see and hear) and the "story" behind what you're seeing and hearing. For example, if you take your all time favorite firework show and compare it to your all time least favorite firework show both had fireworks, both had Disney music, maybe both had some projection work and some voice overs. If this is true, it's the story that differentiates the two, which makes a lot of sense. I'd imagine your annual community fair firework show doesn't compare to RDCT or Wishes or whatever even though physically they may be similar (pyrotechnically speaking). Fireworks and music by themselves aren't overly impressive, it takes a good story to really be memorable.

WoC is different though. The ONLY time/place anyone can see such a performance is at DCA. & IMO (you may disagree) the effects used in WoC are physically more impressive than a firework going off. So does the "story" influence your opinion SO much that the visual effects of WoC do nothing for you? Or is the story SO bad that the effects can't make up for it? Or I am just completely off base?

In my case, The answer would be the 'story' and the overall quality of the presentation as a complete package.

Like anything in entertainment, if it lacks a story or has a presence that interests you then even the flashiest special effects cannot win you over.
When you experience something that brings you into a certain time and place, moves you in some way, or outright awes you with its scope, then you sit up and notice.
You embrace what is being presented before you.
All the best films, stage shows, books, musical works, and even Theme Park Attractions do this.
'World of Color' does not do any of those things for me.

'World of Color', in all its various versions, is not a Show I'm a big fan of.
The two primary reasons are -
Heavy reliance of video projections on giant sprays of water ( ala 'Fantasmic' ).
Content used for said video projections.

Watching video footage in a Theme Park setting of film clips I can watch at home holds little appeal to me.
The general vibe of the WOC format is basically watching a clip show of 'Disney's Greatest Hits' on water screens, with some impressive and colorful dancing fountains to compliment those clips.
I don't find that particularly exciting, even with the impressive colored lighting and other physical effects.
I would much rather see something I had never seen before..such as custom made imagery / video just for the Show instead of a 'Cliff Notes' version of Disney's film catalog from it's past and present.

I like the colored lighting and fountains, and the lasers, fire elements and other effects however.
They are quite impressive to witness in person, but it cannot salvage what is basically yet another 'Attraction' that involves watching video screens....even it they are projected on fans of water.
Call me old school, but I don't consider that a ' night time spectacular'.
It's a big turn off for me.

I guess this is also why the new 'Disneyland Forever' pyro presentation was not something I found particularly appealing.
Same concept, just with pyro...and the projections on the buildings I found to be distracting instead of being enhancements to the show.
It's all flashy demonstrations of cool technology with no substance and soul behind it all.
The tech should be used to tell and enhance the ' story' being told, not BE the 'story' if you get what I mean.

I actually enjoyed 'Forever' more watching just the pyro while sitting on the ground in front of Big Thunder Mountain!
:)

-

Last edited:

Nextinline

In my case, The answer would be the 'story' and the overall quality of the presentation as a complete package.

Like anything in entertainment, if it lacks a story or has a presence that interests you then even the flashiest special effects cannot win you over.
When you experience something that brings you into a certain time and place, moves you in some way, or outright awes you with its scope, then you sit up and notice.
You embrace what is being presented before you.
All the best films, stage shows, books, musical works, and even Theme Park Attractions do this.
'World of Color' does not do any of those things for me.

'World of Color', in all its various versions, is not a Show I'm a big fan of.
The two primary reasons are -
Heavy reliance of video projections on giant sprays of water ( ala 'Fantasmic' ).
Content used for said video projections.

Watching video footage in a Theme Park setting of film clips I can watch at home holds little appeal to me.
The general vibe of the WOC format is basically watching a clip show of 'Disney's Greatest Hits' on water screens, with some impressive and colorful dancing fountains to compliment those clips.
I don't find that particularly exciting, even with the impressive colored lighting and other physical effects.
I would much rather see something I had never seen before..such as custom made imagery / video just for the Show instead of a 'Cliff Notes' version of Disney's film catalog from it's past and present.

I like the colored lighting and fountains, and the lasers, fire elements and other effects however.
They are quite impressive to witness in person, but it cannot salvage what is basically yet another 'Attraction' that involves watching video screens....even it they are projected on fans of water.
Call me old school, but I don't consider that a ' night time spectacular'.
It's a big turn off for me.

I guess this is also why the new 'Disneyland Forever' pyro presentation was not something I found particularly appealing.
Same concept, just with pyro...and the projections on the buildings I found to be distracting instead of being enhancements to the show.
It's all flashy demonstrations of cool technology with no substance and soul behind it all.
The tech should be used to tell and enhance the ' story' being told, not BE the 'story' if you get what I mean.

I actually enjoyed 'Forever' more watching just the pyro while sitting on the ground in front of Big Thunder Mountain!
:)

-
Thank you for the thorough response. I definitely understand your stance on the shows & without hearing from anyone else I think its a safe assumption that others feel similar. I personally enjoy WoC but still agree with your points, just to different extents. I think the scope of the show is large enough to get my attention and I appreciate the unique effects enough that its quite entertaining, but still not moving. I think that's really what we're looking for these night shows; a moving performance. WoC falls short.

But maybe we are looking from the wrong perspective. Maybe we should be comparing WoC to Paint the Night or Fantasmic. Maybe WoC is just really good "nighttime entertainment", not a bad "awe inspiring experience".

Figments Friend

Thank you for the thorough response. I definitely understand your stance on the shows & without hearing from anyone else I think its a safe assumption that others feel similar. I personally enjoy WoC but still agree with your points, just to different extents. I think the scope of the show is large enough to get my attention and I appreciate the unique effects enough that its quite entertaining, but still not moving. I think that's really what we're looking for these night shows; a moving performance. WoC falls short.

But maybe we are looking from the wrong perspective. Maybe we should be comparing WoC to Paint the Night or Fantasmic. Maybe WoC is just really good "nighttime entertainment", not a bad "awe inspiring experience".

Thank you, and glad to hear you enjoyed.

I agree with your overview in that the WOC shows seem to fall short when it comes to the emotional payoff / buildup one is being led up to during the course of a showing.

The scope of WOC is definitely 'there' in a physical sense.
The rig that was designed to present the show is indeed a impressive and elaborate system they have set up to create the water effects, intense lighting colors, and other visual feats.
I like those aspects...but I still don't care much for the shows.
I have actually enjoyed the show more watching it from 'behind' on the Boadwalk..across the water from where most people watch it from its 'front'.
It is neat to stand there and watch all the mechanical changes throughout the course of the show.

There is no question the technological and engineered tools are there to provide some real potential for creating some magical moments...but it always feels short on substance.
There have been a few nice moments shown within the context of the shows I will admit, but they are far too sparse to bring the productions up to another level for my tastes.
It has what it needs to be spectacular, but falls short for sure when it comes to the actual content used to showcase such tech.

I would like to see a version of WOC that is more of what it implies...music and color....with less interference from the Marketing department.
That might improve things a little.
I cannot help but get the impression that the original versions were likely something I would have liked better then the tampered with versions the Park ended up with.

-

Last edited:

FerretAfros

For me, it's always come down to lousy pacing of the show(s). There is plenty of really impressive technology on display, it's just not showcased in a particularly compelling manner. They show off all the tricks early in the show, and then just keep showing you the same handful of things in different orders.

Compare that to a show like Fantasmic!, Illuminations, or any of Disney's fireworks shows, which have a big start, dial things back for a while, and then steadily build to a big finale. WOC on the other hand, starts big, stays big, and then wraps up with a montage of the clips you've already seen; there's just no dramatic arc to it. It doesn't need a clear linear storyline to me, but it does need to grow and change as the show progresses

For those aspects, I think the original Winter Dreams is the best (I didn't see the updated version), followed by the pre-Pirates original show. Next in line would be the post-Pirates version, then the current one in dead last

Another problem for me has always been that the show is unnecessarily chatty. From Dory's whale speak and the entire "You are not a toy" scene in the original WOC, to the constant NPH commentary with the new one, the show comes to a screeching halt every time the music stops and the talking starts. The fountains stop doing their tricks, and any energy that was there is just sucked away. It makes it hard to build energy and emotion when you completely stop everything at 3-5 minute intervals.

As for what makes the 60th version so bad to me personally is a variety of issues. It's *very* dialogue heavy (even by WOC standards), and uses a lot of really low quality animation where classic or filmed footage would have worked just fine. Plus, there's that off-model Mickey who keeps popping up. There are also a lot of things in there that really aren't related to the "story", but shoved in because they're trendy at the moment. I was particularly impressed by how they tried to sneak Life is a Highway into the Walt montage right after Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah; I wasn't aware that Walt liked Lightning McQueen so much

But it really annoys me that the show about DL's history is in DCA. DLR has been doing a lot of great stuff to give DCA it's own identity in recent years, but they continue to just see it as an extension of DL. They haven't officially acknowledged one of the park's birthdays since about 2004. This show just further reinforces the idea that DCA couldn't survive on its own and isn't worth the price of admission, even though it's a much improved park these days

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom