working out for Disney

Lilofan

There is a doctor shortage. A lot are retiring sooner than anticipated, some ob/gyns are not practicing obstetrics anymore because they can't afford the malpractice insurance and a lot of people entering medical school are going into the better paying specialities because Family Care/Primary Care doesn't pay that much. There is demand from students to go to med school, but there are only so many residencies. The AMA has been clamoring for expanding residency programs, but a large portion of residents' pay comes from Medicaid. Congress would have to create and pass legislation for that. We all know how well congress works these days... :rolleyes:
Some of my cousins are doctors. One is PCP and the other is a neo natal surgeon. Both are well compensated but both want to retire in the next few years due to burnout. The surgeon is looking to retire to Naples FL. That's a beautiful place to live minus the threat or living through a Cat 2,3,4. The PCP works very long days. In hospital 6-8am visiting patients , office hours 9-4pm, then paperwork and going back to hospital visiting patients 5pm -8/9pm. The surgeon's work day is 6am-10pm , office hours , in surgery , paperwork , meetings .

Last edited:

Sans Souci

They won't share your data without permission. You can direct them to delete your data at any time. They also use your data for research studies, but you have to opt in. I've opted in because, frankly, I don't care, and if it helps, that's great.

It's also illegal to use your genetic information as part of employment or health insurance decisions (Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act of 2008). You pretty much can't be denied health insurance or charged more for health insurance anymore due to preexisting conditions thanks to the ACA.

I wasn't worried about finding any random siblings or my dad not being my dad or whatnot. I know all of my grandparents are definitely my grandparents, my parents are definitely my parents, etc. I'm kind of surprised I haven't found any random cousins from my dad's one brother. My one cousin said he's afraid of doing it because he already has a half sister from before his parents were married that they didn't know about until they were all adults, so he's afraid of what else he'll find. Pretty sure nothing else, but he doesn't want to know just in case.

I might do it, then. I am sure the data for research has been anonymized. I am just concerned about finding out I carry genes for awful diseases and adding that to my collection of things that cause my existential dread. :hilarious:

Sans Souci

Some of my cousins are doctors. One is PCP and the other is a neo natal surgeon. Both are well compensated but both want to retire in the next few years due to burnout. The surgeon is looking to retire to Naples FL. That's a beautiful place to live minus the threat or living through a Cat 2,3,4. The PCP works very long days. In hospital 6-8am visiting patients , office hours 9-4pm, then paperwork and going back to hospital visiting patients 5pm -8/9pm. The surgeon's work day is 6am-10pm , office hours , operations, paperwork , meetings .

I don't think COVID did the medical profession any favors, either. My brother lives in Cape Coral, which is not that far from Naples and he was hit by Hurricane Ian (cat.5) a few years ago. He had to evacuate and live in a hotel on FEMA's dime for a couple of months.

Sans Souci

Just popping by to post a Gala night photo. It's a bit different from prom...there are no dates. People just get a group of friends and find a cool way to arrive. E's friend had an open spot in his old timer car, and everyone else in their friend group had arrangements, so E got to take the extra spot.

View attachment 781638

There were some really creative arrivals. A couple guys came in a shopping cart, one girl came in the bucket of a tractor, one girl came in a semi cab, there were a lot of tractors as we live in a big farming area, several old timer cars....and one group dressed in like 1920s suits to match the car...that was neat. A party trailer, a beer bike, a camper....just lots of really unique entrances.

Aw, that dress is so pretty on your daughter. What a cool car. I like that it's not a date required event. We had junior/senior prom at my HS. You were required to bring a date or you couldn't go, but they stopped that my senior year. Why should people be excluded from a dance because they don't have a date?

That's funny about the guys showing up in a shopping cart.

Sans Souci

Hello-

I did a treadmill/biceps and core workout this AM. Then I walked to and from my hair appointment.

I did what I said I wasn't going to do, which is google stuff. I googled all sorts of stuff. I even compared my image that was marked suspicious with images of cancer I found online. Then I had to remind myself that I wasn't a radiologist and I couldn't possibly identify something malignant with just my eyes, or at all. I feel like I got it all out of my system, though. :hilarious:

Songbird76

Aw, that dress is so pretty on your daughter. What a cool car. I like that it's not a date required event. We had junior/senior prom at my HS. You were required to bring a date or you couldn't go, but they stopped that my senior year. Why should people be excluded from a dance because they don't have a date?

That's funny about the guys showing up in a shopping cart.
Wow....how can they REQUIRE a date!? Were there specific rules about it too, like it had to be opposite gender couples? What about kids who aren't allowed to date? My mom allowed me to go with a date to prom, but I wasn't allowed to date. And my senior year I had trouble finding a date. I had a boyfriend, which I wasn't supposed to, but he lived all the way across the state, like a 10 hour drive, so it's not like we could get up to anything my mom didn't want us to be getting up to, and we were both very conservative and religious. But he had something else the weekend of my prom and told me I should take someone else, but I couldn't FIND anyone who didn't already have a date from my school, and no one I knew from other schools would make the drive to take me. 2 days before prom, a guy who I had known all my life and who used to go to our school, but transferred to the alternative school came to tutoring night at our school. (It was open to anyone, and I was a tutor, and kids could come in and get help with their homework, so the guy came to see his friends, who were required to go to tutoring night because of bad grades. Anyone with a D or lower HAD to go) Anyway, we were chatting and he said he wished he could go because all his friends were still there at our school, but since he didn't go there anymore, he couldn't go unless he had a date from our school. I had a dress and I had bought tickets because I thought my boyfriend would come over. So we just decided to go together so he could go to prom with his friends and so I had a date. But it was totally last minute and just worked out conveniently for both of us. (And several people commented on the fact that it was unbelievable that I had found someone desperate enough to take me, or commented to him that he must be desperate. I was not well-liked in my school. My junior year, everyone was shocked I had a date and there was a lot of whispering going on when I walked in with an out-of-towner. "WHAT?? SUSAN got a date?? How did she manage THAT?") Wouldn't requiring a date mean a lot of people were unnecessarily excluded? It hardly seems fair!!

StarWarsGirl

I might do it, then. I am sure the data for research has been anonymized. I am just concerned about finding out I carry genes for awful diseases and adding that to my collection of things that cause my existential dread. :hilarious:
I figured when I did it that either I'd be more settled because I didn't have anything, or I'd be able to be proactive about anything they found. Plus, my grandfather was a tay sachs carrier, so in case I go crazy and have children, I wanted to find out if I was a carrier. I am not, but I did find out that I carry this gene called Nonsyndromic Hearing Loss and Deafness, DFNB1. I was like, this is weird. Then it suddenly occured to me that my maternal grandfather has profound hearing loss. He always attributed it to working in a loud environment, but his grandfather had hearing loss as well. I was like, whelp, think we've solved a family mystery here. I only have one copy of that gene, so it won't impact me.

If you decide to do it, wait until they go on sale. They normally run $199. I paid $99 for mine off of Amazon during Black Friday.

Sans Souci

Wow....how can they REQUIRE a date!? Were there specific rules about it too, like it had to be opposite gender couples? What about kids who aren't allowed to date? My mom allowed me to go with a date to prom, but I wasn't allowed to date. And my senior year I had trouble finding a date. I had a boyfriend, which I wasn't supposed to, but he lived all the way across the state, like a 10 hour drive, so it's not like we could get up to anything my mom didn't want us to be getting up to, and we were both very conservative and religious. But he had something else the weekend of my prom and told me I should take someone else, but I couldn't FIND anyone who didn't already have a date from my school, and no one I knew from other schools would make the drive to take me. 2 days before prom, a guy who I had known all my life and who used to go to our school, but transferred to the alternative school came to tutoring night at our school. (It was open to anyone, and I was a tutor, and kids could come in and get help with their homework, so the guy came to see his friends, who were required to go to tutoring night because of bad grades. Anyone with a D or lower HAD to go) Anyway, we were chatting and he said he wished he could go because all his friends were still there at our school, but since he didn't go there anymore, he couldn't go unless he had a date from our school. I had a dress and I had bought tickets because I thought my boyfriend would come over. So we just decided to go together so he could go to prom with his friends and so I had a date. But it was totally last minute and just worked out conveniently for both of us. (And several people commented on the fact that it was unbelievable that I had found someone desperate enough to take me, or commented to him that he must be desperate. I was not well-liked in my school. My junior year, everyone was shocked I had a date and there was a lot of whispering going on when I walked in with an out-of-towner. "WHAT?? SUSAN got a date?? How did she manage THAT?") Wouldn't requiring a date mean a lot of people were unnecessarily excluded? It hardly seems fair!!

They only sold tickets as a pair and the tickets were like $75 back then. So I guess you're weren't required, but you had to pay $75. So you were paying for two meals and two souvenirs, but only getting one of each. I don't remember seeing anyone going stag my junior year, but there quite a few that went to the senior prom once they sold single tickets.

That was great that you could go to the prom with your friend. I often wonder happens to these mean people when they become adults. I hope they've grown out of it. I kept to myself in HS b/c of my crazy pants mom, but I got made fun of for my last name and a large port wine stain where my neck and chest meet.

Sans Souci

Good morning. ☀️

I did a kettlebell workout from YouTube this morning. I noticed he had a streaming subscription option with lots of kettlebell workouts, so I looked at his website. It was $60/month. No, sir. Not today or any other day. I am not against paying people for well-planned workouts, but 60/month is too much. The most I have ever paid was $20/month. But now I am paying like 12/month for the app I've been using since the beginning of the year.

I was petting Callie and she had her eyes closed and was kneading the floor. Suddenly she dropped to the floor and exposed her belly to me. I have heard of this "Belly Rub Trap". So, I did not rub her belly. Even though I'm 90% sure she got a rabies shot when she was spayed, I am not taking a chance with a bite or a scratch that breaks the skin. So, I left her alone. Then she got up and walked away to eat (again). :hilarious:

Songbird76

They only sold tickets as a pair and the tickets were like $75 back then. So I guess you're weren't required, but you had to pay $75. So you were paying for two meals and two souvenirs, but only getting one of each. I don't remember seeing anyone going stag my junior year, but there quite a few that went to the senior prom once they sold single tickets.

That was great that you could go to the prom with your friend. I often wonder happens to these mean people when they become adults. I hope they've grown out of it. I kept to myself in HS b/c of my crazy pants mom, but I got made fun of for my last name and a large port wine stain where my neck and chest meet.
Could friends just decide to buy tickets together so it wasn't as expensive? I think our tickets were like $20 a piece, but we didn't get dinner. That was just entrance and then you got a commemorative glass. But $75 isn't too bad for two dinners, and two souvenirs. If you just bought the tickets together, did you have to go as though it was a date? How many people were in your class? How did they serve dinner to everyone at prom? We always went out to dinner before the prom. A lot of kids drove into Gillette for dinner because we only had one restaurant in our town and it wasn't the best. My junior year, my mom made a surf and turf dinner for my brother and I and our dates so we didn't have to spend money on a restaurant. My senior year, I didn't have a date until two days before, so she didn't have time to plan it, so we just went to dinner in town. That was the first place we encountered someone who commented about how he must have been really desperate to go to our prom if he was willing to come with me. But it wasn't anyone going to prom. It was an alumnus who happened to be going in to dinner just as we were leaving. Then when we got to the school and parked, we were walking across the parking lot when someone else shouted to him asking him what he was doing with ME and said he'd rather not go at all. That guy died of cancer a couple of years ago, but I don't know where the one who was at the restaurant is now... He was someone who didn't have a very bright future to look forward to, though, and I doubt he ever left our hometown. I'm sure he didn't get into college, which was why he was there even though he had already graduated. But my parents were divorced, we were poor, my dad didn't work for the mines (he worked AT the mine as a security guard, but they were contracted from a different company and not paid well), and I was a "prude" and a "nerd". I got good grades and didn't party so I didn't fit in. This is why I didn't go back for reunions. I never fit in back then and I don't care if I ever see most of them again. As far as I know, I'm the only one who actually graduated from college. Most of them flunked out or dropped out within a year or two if they even went to college. None of them did much with their lives and most are still back in our hometown working at the coal mines driving truck. Nothing wrong with that, but it's also not what most of them planned and they are only there because they failed at what they wanted to do and the mines require no education or anything, so it does say something about them that that's all they can do. If the mines ever shut down, they have no way to support themselves. So... Karma?

Sans Souci

Could friends just decide to buy tickets together so it wasn't as expensive? I think our tickets were like $20 a piece, but we didn't get dinner. That was just entrance and then you got a commemorative glass. But $75 isn't too bad for two dinners, and two souvenirs. If you just bought the tickets together, did you have to go as though it was a date? How many people were in your class? How did they serve dinner to everyone at prom? We always went out to dinner before the prom. A lot of kids drove into Gillette for dinner because we only had one restaurant in our town and it wasn't the best. My junior year, my mom made a surf and turf dinner for my brother and I and our dates so we didn't have to spend money on a restaurant. My senior year, I didn't have a date until two days before, so she didn't have time to plan it, so we just went to dinner in town. That was the first place we encountered someone who commented about how he must have been really desperate to go to our prom if he was willing to come with me. But it wasn't anyone going to prom. It was an alumnus who happened to be going in to dinner just as we were leaving. Then when we got to the school and parked, we were walking across the parking lot when someone else shouted to him asking him what he was doing with ME and said he'd rather not go at all. That guy died of cancer a couple of years ago, but I don't know where the one who was at the restaurant is now... He was someone who didn't have a very bright future to look forward to, though, and I doubt he ever left our hometown. I'm sure he didn't get into college, which was why he was there even though he had already graduated. But my parents were divorced, we were poor, my dad didn't work for the mines (he worked AT the mine as a security guard, but they were contracted from a different company and not paid well), and I was a "prude" and a "nerd". I got good grades and didn't party so I didn't fit in. This is why I didn't go back for reunions. I never fit in back then and I don't care if I ever see most of them again. As far as I know, I'm the only one who actually graduated from college. Most of them flunked out or dropped out within a year or two if they even went to college. None of them did much with their lives and most are still back in our hometown working at the coal mines driving truck. Nothing wrong with that, but it's also not what most of them planned and they are only there because they failed at what they wanted to do and the mines require no education or anything, so it does say something about them that that's all they can do. If the mines ever shut down, they have no way to support themselves. So... Karma?

I guess they could and probably some did. They seated you at the table together for dinner, so I guess you could do your own thing after dinner. I think it was just shy of 600 people in my graduating class, so they had to hold the dances at banquet halls.

I haven't been to any reunions, either. The 10 year one was on the same day as my son's christening, but I probably wouldn't have gone anyway. I feel like I wouldn't know what to say to people. I was a big introvert and I had a tight circle of friends. I don't feel like I have missed anything by not going to them. I was only invited to the 10 year reunion, anyway.

I have no idea what happened to the people who were not nice to me or other kids. I do remember seeing results from a longitudinal study a month or so ago that followed bullies throughout their lives and apparently, they are better paid than similarly aged non bully peers by the time they reach middle age. It runs contrary to what I heard growing up--bullies never prosper.

Sans Souci

Hello-

I did a workout this AM that was a mix of weights, kettlebells and gliding discs. It was short, but intense. I'll probably be transitioning to shorter work outs as the weather warms up.

My husband let Callie come into our bedroom last night. We have a balcony and she shows up at the door, looking for food. My husband let her in and she snuggled up on a chair. I didn't think the best idea, because I haven't been able to get her flea and tick meds on her and her "back end issues." She was sitting on my husband's jacket and slept for hours. Well, she peed on his jacket while she was sleeping. Luckily, it was easily washed and he sprayed the chair for fleas (non toxic to cats and doggos). Today, I put garbage bag on the seat and I put a towel over that, so there is a barrier.

IMG_3219.jpeg

IMG_1919.jpeg

Lilofan

I guess they could and probably some did. They seated you at the table together for dinner, so I guess you could do your own thing after dinner. I think it was just shy of 600 people in my graduating class, so they had to hold the dances at banquet halls.

I haven't been to any reunions, either. The 10 year one was on the same day as my son's christening, but I probably wouldn't have gone anyway. I feel like I wouldn't know what to say to people. I was a big introvert and I had a tight circle of friends. I don't feel like I have missed anything by not going to them. I was only invited to the 10 year reunion, anyway.

I have no idea what happened to the people who were not nice to me or other kids. I do remember seeing results from a longitudinal study a month or so ago that followed bullies throughout their lives and apparently, they are better paid than similarly aged non bully peers by the time they reach middle age. It runs contrary to what I heard growing up--bullies never prosper.
I'd agree of bullies better paid than non bullies in middle age . Those guys in school had that influence to make others follow, listen, respect or else.

Sans Souci

I'd agree of bullies better paid than non bullies in middle age . Those guys in school had that influence to make others follow, listen, respect or else.

I think that style of managing others is being phased out, though. This study started in 1970, so these people are probably retired now or on the verge of retiring. I looked at the study and quite a few people dropped out, so I have to wonder if the results would have been different if these people had stayed in the study. There might be some survivorship bias going on.

I took a job at Starbucks between undergrad and grad school and my boss was a bully. It was one of my first shifts after going to training and someone ordered a Frappuccino without whipped cream. I forgot not to put it on and the woman told me. I apologized and I took the whipped cream off. OMG, you would have thought the world ended by doing that. After the customer left, my manager asked me if I was "f- ing r word." She also threw the box of Saran Wrap in anger at a coworker in front of customers. I reported her to the district manager and I think he pressured her to quit. She had been bounced around from store to store because people were quitting at these stores she managed and I think our store was her last chance. Not long after I met with him, she posted this passive aggressive letter in the back about how she was quitting, but she found a job where she'd be working with "real professionals."

Sans Souci

Good morning ☀️

Checking in with a quick, but brutal workout. It used a jump rope, kettlebell and pull up bar. My pull ups are awful and I still need an assist doing them after all of these years, but I keep trying anyway.

It's going to be 90 here today. It was low 80s yesterday and my husband is already complaining about the heat. It's going to be a looooong summer. :hilarious:

Sans Souci

Good morning. ☀️

I did a quick 30 min workout. It was sweaty and intense.

My husband suggested I go up to Jersey City with him tonight. He suggested I go into Manhattan, to keep my mind off of things. I might. I like having my own space here at night. He talks a lot and I like some solitude every now and again. I have all day to consider it. :)

I hope everyone has a good day. :)

Lilofan

I think that style of managing others is being phased out, though. This study started in 1970, so these people are probably retired now or on the verge of retiring. I looked at the study and quite a few people dropped out, so I have to wonder if the results would have been different if these people had stayed in the study. There might be some survivorship bias going on.

I took a job at Starbucks between undergrad and grad school and my boss was a bully. It was one of my first shifts after going to training and someone ordered a Frappuccino without whipped cream. I forgot not to put it on and the woman told me. I apologized and I took the whipped cream off. OMG, you would have thought the world ended by doing that. After the customer left, my manager asked me if I was "f- ing r word." She also threw the box of Saran Wrap in anger at a coworker in front of customers. I reported her to the district manager and I think he pressured her to quit. She had been bounced around from store to store because people were quitting at these stores she managed and I think our store was her last chance. Not long after I met with him, she posted this passive aggressive letter in the back about how she was quitting, but she found a job where she'd be working with "real professionals."
The most intense atmosphere I've been in work related was when I was a dishwasher, prep cook, busser, in a high volume restaurant back in the day. The dining public don't have much of a clue what type of a pressure cooker it is to work in a kitchen. The kind hearted peer to peer relations with restaurant staff is out the door when the pressure is on. What I saw happen in the kitchen in regards to food prep and execution would make someone think twice about eating there again.

Sans Souci

The most intense atmosphere I've been in work related was when I was a dishwasher, prep cook, busser, in a high volume restaurant back in the day. The dining public don't have much of a clue what type of a pressure cooker it is to work in a kitchen. The kind hearted peer to peer relations with restaurant staff is out the door when the pressure is on. What I saw happen in the kitchen in regards to food prep and execution would make someone think twice about eating there again.

This manager came from a restaurant background, so I think she brought that whole "managing by tantrum" ethos with her to Starbucks. There's a TV show called "The Bear" and the protagonist is an award winning chef. They show him working at a restaurant that is supposed to be Eleven Madison Park and the Chef de Cuisine is absolutely abusive. Then you have Gordon Ramsay, who is just obnoxious and mean for the sake of being mean. You can correct people without belittling and swearing at them in front of others.

Sans Souci

Good morning ☀️

Just checking in with a quick workout. It was ok until the end, when there was this hellacious exercise called "flying burpees"--twenty of them! I am just glad it's over and if they ever appear in another workout, I am going to substitute another move, instead. :hilarious:

I'm going out for a walk once the school traffic dies down. It's been too nice to stay indoors and I love not having to wear layers and layers of clothes to stay warm.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom