Will RPR lose express pass eventually?

danpam1024

You're missing the point. It's not what's drawing people anymore.
yes it is, we would gladly stay at CBBR for $150/night, but there's NO EP, so we shell out the $500+ at the HRH- every time. The guests expect it, and pay for it.might as well just go down the street if you lose the biggest perk they've got going for them.

BrianV

Original Poster
yes it is, we would gladly stay at CBBR for $150/night, but there's NO EP, so we shell out the $500+ at the HRH- every time. The guests expect it, and pay for it.might as well just go down the street if you lose the biggest perk they've got going for them.

Agreed. We stay on site at universal BECAUSE of express pass. In fact most of our theme park money has been going to universal because of this too. Our last two trips to Florida theme parks have been exclusively to universal. There would be little incentive to stay onsite without it.

I realize nothing lasts forever, however...

JoeCamel

Just two weeks ago in fact. Got $144/night for a Tower suite. That was on an AP discount too.

Just checked their website for a random weekend and got $183 average night for a family suite. View attachment 130979

I have one night at the end of May (5/21) family suite for $124 after tax and 10 nights end of September start of October at $135 average through the ten days. I think you need a better booking procedure
I have the same reservation for 10 days at Sapphire Falls for $137 but the parking is $20 per night so add $8 per to that vs the $12 a night at CBBR.

JoeCamel

Joe- Apples/Oranges. You get 35% off for stays 7 nights and longer. 10% for three nights. So thats a substantially different margin. And that's on top of any AP or FL resident discount either of you would get.

So yes- if you stay for 10 nights (or 7), your nightly rate drops substantially.

Rates at hotels change all the time. I constantly modify reservations even through 3rd party sites like Orbitz for better deals. Ive had it where a family suite is only ~$95 at one point. So it all varies- lets not argue about trivial things that no one can prove nor disprove.

That is why I posted my 5/21 ressie as well. That is one night.

danpam1024

the reason why rates WERE incredibly low last year was to draw people in, and get them hooked on UOR. All new things do it. It's kind of common sense. They wanted former WDW guests to compare CBBR to a WDW value/mod, and see how much better the UOR hotels actually are. I believe it's STILL cheaper than anything comparable at WDW.

danpam1024

Agreed. We stay on site at universal BECAUSE of express pass. In fact most of our theme park money has been going to universal because of this too. Our last two trips to Florida theme parks have been exclusively to universal. There would be little incentive to stay onsite without it.

I realize nothing lasts forever, however...
we're going to CA this summer- moving to Northern CA in 4 years, 8 months, 16 days (who's counting). Uni Hollywood has a ticket that includes "front of the line" for like $149 a day (different pricing depending on season i assume). I really hate paying for it, but I imaging we will. If UOR does the same, we'd pay, we're spoiled. I wouldn't, however be forking over HRH rates any longer. The Hilton is just as nice. I really doubt the deluxes will lose that benefit anytime soon.

007mickey

We stay at HRH due to the express pass but is the thought they might stop offering the EP and continue their current pricing per night? That seems pretty bold. Certainly they would adjust for not offering this "perk".

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
I would say if any of the hotels lost their perks I would reconsider. Though if Im honest I probably couldnt go to Orlando and not stay at the HRH. If I need to reduce costs wait for a dealand dont stay Club 7

JoeCamel

Right- but the dates you mentioned are both classified as "value" season- yet one is $11 less than the other one that also has a 35% discount added to it. Conclusion? Pricing means nothing except for trying to find the best deal- which fluctuates all over the map. You didn't do anything "wrong" with your 10 day stay- pricing is just higher. And- by now and October- I'd wager that price will drop.

I'm looking into booking at Sapphire Falls right now via Orbits for a labor day trip- and its $430 for 4 nights w/ my orbitz bucks and a 15% off coupon- but also, they are running a $150 food/beverage credit.

So now I decide- do I stay at Sapphire Falls for 4 nights for $430 + F&B or my go-to Royal Pacific for 4 nights for $652 w/o the credit. $220 (+$150) for express passes and the best restaurant on property. Decisions, decisions. :D

I didn't add that the SF ressie come with breakfast, hope it is more than a waffle maker like Hampton Inn.

In any case I tend to go when crowds are less, I can go up for the day when it is busy but if I will be drinking I get a room so I don't have to drive I-4. I have stayed at CBBR 5 times now and when I can reserve in advance I have never paid more than $124 a night. Ask DanPam what a new years eve night costs! If you want to see demand pricing in action that is it!

BrianV

Original Poster
We stay at HRH due to the express pass but is the thought they might stop offering the EP and continue their current pricing per night? That seems pretty bold. Certainly they would adjust for not offering this "perk".

I was simply asking the question, with SF and rpr both being in the same preferred class, but having different perks, whether something would change. Hrh is in the premier class, and while anything is possible, I don't see any disconnect with it keeping EP while rpr loses it. But I hope not. If that were to happen, we would stay at hrh instead.

007mickey

I was simply asking the question, with SF and rpr both being in the same preferred class, but having different perks, whether something would change. Hrh is in the premier class, and while anything is possible, I don't see any disconnect with it keeping EP while rpr loses it. But I hope not. If that were to happen, we would stay at hrh instead.

I hear ya, it just sounds like (at least for now) that SF is a good bit cheaper per night than RPR. I would hope that is due in part to not offering EP as a perk. Now if they raise SF rates and still don't offer EP, I think most would take notice and stay at one that does. It seems they have set themselves up for a dilemma, either continue the "introductory" pricing for SF without EP or raise the price and offer EP to be on par with RPR. Maybe the "preferred class" tag deal more with room sizes, food offerings, hotel amenities, etc and not so much park perks?

JoeCamel

I think SF is slotted to be a convention hotel for the most part so a lower price and no EP woks there, once they are done meeting for the day they have 3 pools, a short walk to Tchoup -T and several bars plus they can go to CW for the evening. Not that many park visits as when you stay at the other hotels.

Sure it won't be all conventioneers but it adds one more option to the lineup of where to stay

JWG

So, we are staying on property at Universal (HRH) specifically because of EP. If that was not an option we would either stay off-site or over at Disney. It's not a Disney trip, but we are DVC members - so the EP was enough to get us to stay AT Universal. It's the only real perk. Parking is the same either way (ramp or hotel), the extra one-hour in the AM isn't enough to sway us to stay on-site. It is purely 100% because of EP.

Getting rid of that benefit would kill the premium resort attendance. There is no other benefi of value.

JT3000

The classification of their hotels seems arbitrary at the moment, but perhaps they intend to build another "premier" hotel, since they don't seem to think RPR fits the bill. I doubt they just keep adding new hotels on the less expensive side. In such a situation, I could see Express benefits being transferred from RPR to the new hotel.

The only problem with this is, no matter what they build, RPR's location will always give it certain perks that can't be duplicated. Of course, with the resort potentially expanding into a new location, there's nothing stopping them from expanding the Express perk to new hotels, with the caveat that it's only valid for certain parks, depending on where you're staying.

Last edited:

JoeCamel

I spent 10 days at RPR this last HHN and while it is not a top of the line hotel it has a very "homey" feeling. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I use EP maybe 3 times as I was there for HHN. I didn't use the pool more than 3 days due to the weather but having hot and cold running servers really gives you a feeling of privilege. Even if it puts a real dent in the CC. ($18 a drink and $20 for lunch!) How decadent but worth every penny.
I doubt EP will be leaving despite the classification, if it does I expect a break on the room rate but with the fresh remodel that is not happening. Went up $10 per night from what I can see.

We will know once SF opens this summer.

squidward

Not sure why anyone would say that Universal doesn't consider RPR a top of the line hotel. It is considered one of the 3 Deluxe Resorts. The only thing that differentiates it from the other 2 is that the rooms are smaller (and IMO, since the refurb, extremely ugly). But as for the restaurants and the look and feel of the resort itself, it's every bit as nice as Portofino, and nicer than HRH.

danpam1024

Not sure why anyone would say that Universal doesn't consider RPR a top of the line hotel. It is considered one of the 3 Deluxe Resorts. The only thing that differentiates it from the other 2 is that the rooms are smaller (and IMO, since the refurb, extremely ugly). But as for the restaurants and the look and feel of the resort itself, it's every bit as nice as Portofino, and nicer than HRH.
the pool doesn't have a slide- that's a big deal to families with kids, but ALL the other resorts do??? the pool is what keeps guests at the hotel spending $ on overpriced food and drinks. It's the only way for the parents to relax!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom