Will RPR lose express pass eventually?

BrianV

Original Poster
So as Saphine Falls prepares to open, they have listed three tiers of hotels...value, preferred, and premier. RPR and SF are both considered preferred but they have different benefit levels, most distinctly the presence or absence of onsite express pass. This leads to the obvious question of whether one will gain it or the other will lose it?

We always stay at RPR, but would no longer if they got rid of express pass. Likewise, would enjoy staying at SF but never will if they don't have express pass.

JoeCamel

I don't know how long the introductory pricing will be in effect but for now SFR is about $10 a night more than CBBR and $90 less than RPR so I think express at RPR is safe for now.

If you were planning on getting express anyway it would only make sense to stay at RPR and essentially pay the same price unless you just wanted to see the new offering like I will be doing for HHN this year.

I don't need express during the day at that time of year so ROF + express will work while I am sampling the three pools at SFR.

Rider

Look for them the phase out the express pass at all the resorts. It's something that no other park offers and they lose out on a lot of money from pass up sells.

Rider

And it what sets Universal resort apart from the others. I doubt you are correct

10 years ago they needed it to set them apart. But now that they've got Harry Potter and a ton of other attractions the resort itself is the draw.

That Cabana Bay didn't get the pass wasn't just because they were too expensive to offer to a "discount" resort (that can charge $150 per night and up). It was a test and Cabana passed. They are trying to phase it out of all their resorts. Same with Sapphire being a moderate resort and not getting the pass.

For people like us it's a great feature but for the resort it's just a legacy item that isn't needed to fill the rooms. They fill themselves now and Uni would rather have the wealthy tourists who can afford Hard Rock or Portofino pay the extra $60-$100 a head for express pass.

GLaDOS

10 years ago they needed it to set them apart. But now that they've got Harry Potter and a ton of other attractions the resort itself is the draw.

That Cabana Bay didn't get the pass wasn't just because they were too expensive to offer to a "discount" resort (that can charge $150 per night and up). It was a test and Cabana passed. They are trying to phase it out of all their resorts. Same with Sapphire being a moderate resort and not getting the pass.

Yea, no.

The contract with Loews specifies that three of their resorts will have Unlimited Express, and Hotels 4-7 will not.

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
Can Universal please just buy the hotels? I hate dealing with third parties. And, while we're on the subject, change Express Pass to Disney's old FastPass system, but all digital.

GLaDOS

Right because its impossible to change a contract if all parties agree.

Why would Loews agree to getting rid of the biggest reason people pay to stay at their expensive hotels?

Can Universal please just buy the hotels? I hate dealing with third parties.

Yes, let's have the people who have no experience owning and running hotels buy them from the world class hotel chain. Brilliant.

Rider

Why would Loews agree to getting rid of the biggest reason people pay to stay at their expensive hotels?

Yes, let's have the people who have no experience owning and running hotels buy them from the world class hotel chain. Brilliant.
You're missing the point. It's not what's drawing people anymore.

Rider

So how does Disney get people to stay at the Beach Club instead of Art of Animation?

To add on: The express pass benefit was used to convince people to stay at Universal for a few days instead of just driving to the parks from their Disney hotel. It was never used to differentiate the Uni resorts between themselves (since they all had it until the Cabana test).

Now people come to Orlando FOR Universal and it's resorts.

johnvree

For people like us it's a great feature but for the resort it's just a legacy item that isn't needed to fill the rooms. They fill themselves now and Uni would rather have the wealthy tourists who can afford Hard Rock or Portofino pay the extra $60-$100 a head for express pass.

I don't know about this. I agree Universal has the attractions to draw people to their parks. But there are just two parks that can be completed in two days. Without express pass coming with their onsite stay, I think some people would just stay on site at WDW and take a two-day detour to USO during their WDW vacation. In other words, they may not need express pass to fill the parks, but they many need it to fill their more expensive hotels.

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.

There's a price for everything, and that includes hiring the people who know how to run a hotel. Don't act like Universal doesn't have the resources to make a long-term investment.

GLaDOS

There's a price for everything, and that includes hiring the people who know how to run a hotel. Don't act like Universal doesn't have the resources to make a long-term investment.

Sure they do. I just don't see a reason to or any reason it would improve guest satisfaction.

Flippin'Flounder

I don't know about this. I agree Universal has the attractions to draw people to their parks. But there are just two parks that can be completed in two days. Without express pass coming with their onsite stay, I think some people would just stay on site at WDW and take a two-day detour to USO during their WDW vacation. In other words, they may not need express pass to fill the parks, but they many need it to fill their more expensive hotels.
And Disney is just 4 parks that take 3 days. If you don't want to go to water parks, other entertainment, or go on rides more than one time, than its going to take less time.

JoeCamel

I don't know what you are buying at CBBR but I get a family suite for $124 in the busy times and $110 during the slow times. You sure you have ever stayed there?

Rider

Just two weeks ago in fact. Got $144/night for a Tower suite. That was on an AP discount too.

Just checked their website for a random weekend and got $183 average night for a family suite.
Capture.PNG

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom