Will record breaking Jurassic World push IOA expansion?

Funmeister

Original Poster
Anyone think Jurassic Park will get a Jurassic World overlay with new attractions?

It looks like it will be confirmed Sunday evening that Jurassic World will take over the top spot at the box office of ALL TIME beating out Avengers in 2012 for an opening weekend.

They have the room...but will they pull the trigger? I can think of $207+ million reasons why they should.

**PLEASE NO MOVIE SPOILERS FOR THOSE WHO HAVE NOT SEEN IT AND IF YOU DO POST ANYTHING REVEALING USE THE SPOILER TAG.

JasonDeyoung

I was actually just reading a interview and they were talking about some glass ball ride in the movie and wanting to incorporate it into univ Orlando. I haven't seen the movie yet so I vagly have an idea what that is, minus seeing it in the trailer.

CaptainAmerica

Anyone think Jurassic Park will get a Jurassic World overlay with new attractions?

It looks like it will be confirmed Sunday evening that Jurassic World will take over the top spot at the box office of ALL TIME beating out Avengers in 2012 for an opening weekend.

They have the room...but will they pull the trigger? I can think of $207+ million reasons why they should.

**PLEASE NO MOVIE SPOILERS FOR THOSE WHO HAVE NOT SEEN IT AND IF YOU DO POST ANYTHING REVEALING USE THE SPOILER TAG.
Most recent estimates put it at #2 domestic opening of all time, right between the two Avengers movies.

$511.8 million worldwide! First movie to pass $500 million world wide in one weekend.
That's a tad misleading, though still a feat. Most modern films don't release in all the major markets on the same weekend anymore (though I'm not sure why).

Funmeister

Original Poster
Most recent estimates put it at #2 domestic opening of all time, right between the two Avengers movies.

That's a tad misleading, though still a feat. Most modern films don't release in all the major markets on the same weekend anymore (though I'm not sure why).

Well, let's wait and see after tonight.

It's not misleading. Studios have the ability to open in all major markets at once if they decided to do so. They didn't...JW did. How is that misleading? lol

CaptainAmerica

It's not misleading. Studios have the ability to open in all major markets at once if they decided to do so. They didn't...JW did. How is that misleading? lol
I said "misleading," not "dishonest."

Regardless, I think Jurassic expansion would be a no-brainer. Dinosaurs are kewl. I'm not familiar enough with Universal's layout to know if they have room. Plus, isn't the Universal conceit that you're in the "movie world" of Jurassic Park? I think it would function better as an immersive "you're actually there" land.

JT3000

When can we expect the new screens on JPRA?

;)

What screens?

I said "misleading," not "dishonest."

Regardless, I think Jurassic expansion would be a no-brainer. Dinosaurs are kewl. I'm not familiar enough with Universal's layout to know if they have room. Plus, isn't the Universal conceit that you're in the "movie world" of Jurassic Park? I think it would function better as an immersive "you're actually there" land.

Most Universal attractions are meant to be "real," including everything in IOA. In JP, you're on a new island not shown in the films.

Most of JP's original expansion space has been stolen by Potter and Kong, but there's still room for a decent sized attraction where the Trike Encounter used to be, however it would be a tight fit. Since you (apparently) haven't been to the parks, you'd have to use Google maps to find this. It's on the west side of the park, the space directly north of Camp Jurassic, east of JP River Adventure and west of Popeye (the raft ride.)

Last edited:

Tony Perkis

I think Universal is smart enough to know that overlaying Jurassic Park completely over to Jurassic World would be a bit foolish. The powers that be are fully aware that the huge opening for the new film hinged a lot on the love and adoration people have for the groundbreaking original film, and to throw that away for 100% new would be very ill advised.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised to see enhancements made scattered throughout the land.

Californian Elitist

If it's the first movie to ever accomplish this feat, how's that not surprising? Practically no one would have predicted that kind of opening.

It's Jurassic Park, it shouldn't be that surprising. I could see if we were talking about other Universal films like Casper or Sixteen Candles. Jurassic Park? No, I'm not surprised.

Tony Perkis

It's Jurassic Park, it shouldn't be that surprising. I could see if we were talking about other Universal films like Casper or Sixteen Candles. Jurassic Park? No, I'm not surprised.
I don't think anyone expected a poor showing. Most agreed that it would hover somewhere around $125 million for the weekend, but this film exceeding industry and studio expectations by $80 million. That sort of opening against anticipation is unprecedented. We are talking about the second largest domestic opening of all time, and the best worldwide opening ever.

Success wasn't unanticipated. This degree of success was.

This film made more on Thursday night 7:30pm showings than the entirety of the director's previous film's run, the excellent Safety Not Guaranteed.

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
I'd be thrilled if they would just make some changes to JPRA. Those animatronics are looking rough.
Maybe they could even go back to the drawing board and resurrect the idea that the raptors, instead of just politely deciding to not eat you, are restrained by a chain link fence that comes closer and closer to breaking as they leap at it, til the T-Rex scares them off.

jloucks

JP is an excellent franchise. They should capitalize on it.

Oh, and the movie was fun! Viewers and critics all agree. We even ran out and saw it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom