Will New Fantasyland be...

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Cars Land the best theme park in the world? What? Seriously?

I think there's a slightly more serious contender for that honor across the street, but I could be wrong...

As for this New Fantasyland, no way.

Having just visited Cars Land I would say it's definitely high up on the list of best themed lands.

RandySavage

Not in my opinion. It'll be good but nothing tops adventureland at Disneyland Paris.the caves, the tunnels the rope bridges, the water falls and my favourite thing about it, the fact that I got lost in it once and spent over an hour and a half just walking around. just my opinion of course

My mind also went to Adventureland Paris - brilliant from a pure design standpoint - and one of several beautifully designed and rendered theme park lands (e.g. Tokyo Critter Country, Tokyo Mysterious Island, DAK Asia, IoA Port of Entry, DLP Frontierland & Fantayland, Anaheim Adventureland, etc.).

There are a number top-tier theme park environments (many mentioned here). The great thing about FLE is that helps elevate MK's Fantasyland toward that elite level (from an environmental standpoint)... whether it is the subjective 'best' or not doesn't matter... only that it represents excellence (if it does... we will see when it's complete).

AndyMagic

(b) it would mean that TDO would have to unlock the purse strings, and I don't see that happening. $500 mil isn't enough to do Avatar well enough to compete with Potter.

This is true and what makes it even sadder is that Universal spent about $300 million on Wizarding World once again proving WDI needs to figure out how to get more "bang for their buck." Cars Land and the Tokyo resort in general prove they can still create the best rides and experiences in the business if there is an unlimited budget. I can't imagine what Disney would have built with the measly budget Universal had to work with for Revenge of the Mummy. Give $50 million to Universal Creative and you get a world class ride but in Disney's hands it would barely cover an Imhotep meet and greet. Everyone is quick to blame Disney Corporate for the lack of big rides lately but surely at least some of the blame must fall on the bloated management at Imagineering. It's hard to greenlight rides left and right when they cost so bloody much.

Florida_is_hot

I seen the model of expansion at Hollywood Studios.

The 7 Dwarfs Mine ride look great.
Looks like they will have a little Mermaid sub ride, lie Disneyland. I believe in Disneyland they never shutdown and filled in 20,000 leagues they rethemed it.

What else will they have (Be our Guest) ??? Good luck getting a table?
More meet and greets and attractions that where already there?

So 2 new attractions ..... good expansion, great meal experience (doubt if I can get a table)

luv

My theme parks experience is mostly limited to WDW, but I see pictures of Disneylands in China and Japan.

It isn't open yet, so there is no way to be sure, but I don't think well need to leave Orlando to find a better themed land than FLE. Harry Potter is just amazing. Makes me wish Uni would do a land for something I like...because I'm not a huge HP fan.

My guess is that this won't even beat the AK for theming, though.

But we shall see! :)

Pixiedustmaker

DL's Fantasyland has more attractions, I'd rather have the Storybook Canal Boats than anything in the new FLE (but that's my own personal opinion of course), the fascades in DL are much better than the tent fascades in the MK, and IASW doesn't even compare to the DL version. IMO, the DL version completely defines what a Fantasyland should be.

I really love Storybook Land Canal Boats in Disneyland, it is a nice little atmosphere ride, plus it is nice to ride at dusk and during the holidays they put up these little Christmas decorations. The ride, plus Alice, Peter Pan, Toad, Casey Jr, Tea Cups, Snow White, is kind of Disneyland's heart in my eyes.

That being said, I think that FLE is being done at MK in order to add some of this "heart" and whimsical story-telling to MK's Fantasyland. I remember walking around MK's Fantasyland years ago and realizing how MK's Fantasyland look horrible when compared to Disneyland as back then it was just this clogged corridor with dated medieval tent structures. FLE, especially BoG and 7DMT will add some much needed heart, though I wish they had done something other than Mermaid as the profile of the showbuilding is a little bit too high, and I wish they didn't bring back decades old plan for a "Circusland", especially since it has only one real ride, the Dumbo spinner.

But look at the new castle wall, I think that when they eventually update Peter Pan and Small World (with new facades and maybe more), they made sure they'll have half a Fantasyland still running, i.e. FLE. Plus, there is room to expand FLE up north, plenty of land inside of the train tracks.

lazyboy97o

Looks like they will have a little Mermaid sub ride, lie Disneyland. I believe in Disneyland they never shutdown and filled in 20,000 leagues they rethemed it.
The Little Mermaid will be an omnimover. Disneyland did close the Submarine Voyage but it recently reopened as the Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage. There is no real water or serious attempts to create such an illusion in The Little Mermaid. It's a big version of the small dark rides that have long called Fantasyland home.

AndyMagic

The Little Mermaid will be an omnimover. Disneyland did close the Submarine Voyage but it recently reopened as the Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage. There is no real water or serious attempts to create such an illusion in The Little Mermaid. It's a big version of the small dark rides that have long called Fantasyland home.

The other big difference between Little Mermaid and the classic Disney dark rides of Fantasyland (aside from size) is the fact that it isn't... well, dark. The lighting design in Mermaid is far too bright and I think that is part of the reason people who ride it are disappointed with some of the detailing. Yes, the ending is rushed but another big problem for me is that the brightness makes it feel like you're riding through a warehouse, particularly in the "Under the Sea" scene. I know the lighting has since been adjusted but judging from videos and reviews, not nearly enough.

lazyboy97o

The other big difference between Little Mermaid and the classic Disney dark rides of Fantasyland (aside from size) is the fact that it isn't... well, dark. The lighting design in Mermaid is far too bright and I think that is part of the reason people who ride it are disappointed with some of the detailing. Yes, the ending is rushed but another big problem for me is that the brightness makes it feel like you're riding through a warehouse, particularly in the "Under the Sea" scene. I know the lighting has since been adjusted but judging from videos and reviews, not nearly enough.
Correct. The lighting is rathe bright. This makes the ride not much more than a ride. It doesn't try to transcend just being a ride so as to become an experience like the best of the Fantasyland dark rides.

RonAnnArbor

Hmm...not sure it would even come close...Disney parks in Tokyo and Paris both ALREADY surpass what is planned for the FLE...Its a nice addition, but its there to spread out the crowds and create another major revenue site in the restaurant (sorely lacking at the MK)...not so much for the attractions.

Magenta Panther

The fact that Disneyland's version for The Little Mermaid attraction has a ZERO wait time speaks volumes.
Which could be good, or it could be bad. The good part might be that Disney will look at the results of Mermaid and try a lot harder to create a truly amazing immersive experience the next time it builds a dark ride. The bad part would be if Disney decided that building new dark rides wouldn't be worth it, and point to the Mermaid ride as an example.

Really, Disney has got to try harder. I remember the first time I rode the Nemo ride at Epcot. It had been hyped up bigtime in the press releases and on TV. But when I rode it...holy underwhelming, Batman! The screens look just like that - screens, with cartoon fish projected on them. Not ONCE did I get the feeling I was underwater, or that Dory and Nemo were really there. It was LAME! It felt so cynical, as if TDO believed that the affection guests feel for Nemo would overcome the mediocrity of the ride. Um, wrong! :p

ISTCrew20

Which could be good, or it could be bad. The good part might be that Disney will look at the results of Mermaid and try a lot harder to create a truly amazing immersive experience the next time it builds a dark ride. The bad part would be if Disney decided that building new dark rides wouldn't be worth it, and point to the Mermaid ride as an example.

Really, Disney has got to try harder. I remember the first time I rode the Nemo ride at Epcot. It had been hyped up bigtime in the press releases and on TV. But when I rode it...holy underwhelming, Batman! The screens look just like that - screens, with cartoon fish projected on them. Not ONCE did I get the feeling I was underwater, or that Dory and Nemo were really there. It was LAME! It felt so cynical, as if TDO believed that the affection guests feel for Nemo would overcome the mediocrity of the ride. Um, wrong! :p

And honestly, I think Nemo at Epcot is more immersive than Mermaid at DCA...and I share a similar feeling with you about Nemo.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom