Wilderness Lodge Experts

21stamps

Original Poster
Check out Humphrey's Unofficial Wilderness Lodge Pages on Facebook, you can see for yourself. The last photo update I saw on that site was August 14th.

WDWtraveler on this site also has taken many photo updates which might give you a feel. I think the thread is called
Wilderness Lodge DVC additions - Copper Creek Villas & Cabins page 43 has some pics.
Do you know if there is a FB page fro GF as well? I can't find one

ekutchey

I was under the impression that the construction won't have an impact on us, and that we won't even easily see it.

Now you have me worried!..even though I can't change either way.lol

Can you tell me what I should expect?

With a courtyard view you will hardly see any of the construction. I would not worry at all. We were just there and were on Magic Kingdom side where cabins are currently being build and it did not bother us at all. You will be fine.

ekutchey

I would highly encourage the hidden Mickey scavenger hunt, WL is a great place for this. Also bike rental is still available just through the front desk right now

21stamps

Original Poster
With a courtyard view you will hardly see any of the construction. I would not worry at all. We were just there and were on Magic Kingdom side where cabins are currently being build and it did not bother us at all. You will be fine.
I would highly encourage the hidden Mickey scavenger hunt, WL is a great place for this. Also bike rental is still available just through the front desk right now
Thank you!!! Will do!

21stamps

Original Poster
@epcotisbest Can children go to Territory Lounge?

I like the food menu. Specifically The handcrafted charcuterie, marinated olives, and vanilla bean creme brûlée... The habanero lime margarita doesn't sound too bad either..

epcotisbest

I like the food menu. Specifically The handcrafted charcuterie, marinated olives, and vanilla bean creme brûlée... The habanero lime margarita doesn't sound too bad either..
We don't drink and don't visit lounges (did go to Top of the World one time just to see it) so I can't help with that question. Sorry.

ABQ

This one I can answer and the answer is yes you can bring children into the lounge.

BASS

I'm not sure how old your kids are, but if you have the time, the Chip 'n' Dale sing-a-long is worth it. We visited several months ago and had some down time so planned a visit. I didn't know what to expect, but it was very well done and fun. There is a performer before Chip 'n' Dale come out, and then a movie after that. My 5 year old loved it.

I think you'll have to take a quick boat ride to the campsite so plan accordingly. Also, if you do go, bring some mosquito spray!

21stamps

Original Poster
This one I can answer and the answer is yes you can bring children into the lounge.
Great! Thanks!
I'm not sure how old your kids are, but if you have the time, the Chip 'n' Dale sing-a-long is worth it. We visited several months ago and had some down time so planned a visit. I didn't know what to expect, but it was very well done and fun. There is a performer before Chip 'n' Dale come out, and then a movie after that. My 5 year old loved it.

I think you'll have to take a quick boat ride to the campsite so plan accordingly. Also, if you do go, bring some mosquito spray!
Thanks! I'm not planning on staying for the movie, just realized that MK has night time EMH that night, and it's also our last night, so probably hit the park for a few hours after 7. I wasn't planning on doing any parks that day, but it may be a fun way to end the trip.

21stamps

Original Poster
I received this in the mail today. Thought it was nice.. But what extra activities at the Contemporary and FW? Does that mean recreation activites are only for the people staying at a certain resort under normal conditions?
image.jpeg

epcotisbest

I received this in the mail today. Thought it was nice.. But what extra activities at the Contemporary and FW? Does that mean recreation activites are only for the people staying at a certain resort under normal conditions? View attachment 169032

The letter does not say anything about extra activities. It specifically says alternative opportunities. That is marketing talk for saying "some of the stuff we normally have here is not available here because of construction, but you have the alternative opportunity to go to the Contemporary or Fort Wilderness to do those things if you want to, so while it is temporarily unavailable here, it is still available to you, you just have to go next door to do them."
Of course, the other alternative is just not do them. These things include mostly things like volleyball net and lounge chairs at the beach area and marina stuff like boat rental, waterskiing, fishing, parasailing etc...and these things are also available to non resort visitors.
We often visit other resorts and do stuff at resorts we are not staying at. For example, you can go to any resort and watch the evening movie. You don't have to be staying there. You can watch the fireworks from the monorail resorts without staying there. You can eat at any of the resorts without staying there. The people at the marina that rents you a boat don't care if you are staying there. Off site customers who visit the resorts and spend money are quite welcome as the dollar they spend is still a dollar.

Last edited:

21stamps

Original Poster
The letter does not say anything about extra activities. It specifically says alternative opportunities. That is marketing talk for saying "some of the stuff we normally have here is not available here because of construction, but you have the alternative opportunity to go to the Contemporary or Fort Wilderness to do those things if you want to, so while it is temporarily unavailable here, it is still available to you, you just have to go next door to do them."
Of course, the other alternative is just not do them. These things include mostly things like volleyball net and lounge chairs at the beach area and marina stuff like boat rental, waterskiing, fishing, parasailing etc...and these things are also available to non resort visitors.
We often visit other resorts and do stuff at resorts we are not staying at. For example, you can go to any resort and watch the evening movie. You don't have to be staying there. You can watch the fireworks from the monorail resorts without staying there. You can eat at any of the resorts without staying there. The people at the marina that rents you a boat don't care if you are staying there. Off site customers who visit the resorts and spend money are quite welcome as the dollar they spend is still a dollar.
The alternative "recreation" is what I thought was worded strangely.
Even in my Poly and GF vacation booklets they both talk about Sammy Duvall's...and I am planning on parasailing there.
We are doing our water sports while at GF, so not a huge deal to me that the WL Marina is closed. I'm good with the running trail and bike rentals being open.

epcotisbest

The alternative "recreation" is what I thought was worded strangely.
Even in my Poly and GF vacation booklets they both talk about Sammy Duvall's...and I am planning on parasailing there.
We are doing our water sports while at GF, so not a huge deal to me that the WL Marina is closed. I'm good with the running trail and bike rentals being open.

Wilderness Lodge used to be our favorite resort. It is still probably second favorite, but I remain bitter they destroyed my favorite spot in all of WDW, Hidden Springs Pool. It was a quiet, tranquil getaway from the rest of the world. I loved hanging out there early in the morning when everyone else was headed to the parks. I am holding out on seeing the new villas pool before passing judgement. My wife says I only liked Hidden Springs so much because I enjoyed the bubbles and shade of the the tall pines. Maybe so, but I thought it was a wonderful spot.
We went over there a few weeks ago and the construction is coming along nicely, and while it will probably turn out nice, for me sometimes I dread change. For example, while the bungalows at the Poly are nice, to me they take away from the feel of the place much more than they add to it. Guess that is part of my aversion to change.
Anyway, have a good trip.

21stamps

Original Poster
construction was not an issue. Actually it was a perk, because the place was less crowded.
Thanks, good to know!
The only concern I had was if the room was facing it. We stayed at Poly last year during the Oasis pool construction, the only time I even noticed it was once when we walked to the TTC, but we were on the opposite side of the resort facing MK. I did see photos on FB of people was had the green construction wall as their view.
WL doesn't have a tpv or lake room option, so I called just to make sure I wouldn't be facing the construction. The phone rep said that the rooms facing it are being refurbished right now and not even available to rent...it sounds like will be completely fine.

epcotisbest

construction was not an issue. Actually it was a perk, because the place was less crowded.

That is a positive outlook you have there. My wife accuses me of being a glass half empty type, but I remind her I don't have a glass. I have a paper cup with a hole in it.

21stamps

Original Poster
Wilderness Lodge used to be our favorite resort. It is still probably second favorite, but I remain bitter they destroyed my favorite spot in all of WDW, Hidden Springs Pool. It was a quiet, tranquil getaway from the rest of the world. I loved hanging out there early in the morning when everyone else was headed to the parks. I am holding out on seeing the new villas pool before passing judgement. My wife says I only liked Hidden Springs so much because I enjoyed the bubbles and shade of the the tall pines. Maybe so, but I thought it was a wonderful spot.
We went over there a few weeks ago and the construction is coming along nicely, and while it will probably turn out nice, for me sometimes I dread change. For example, while the bungalows at the Poly are nice, to me they take away from the feel of the place much more than they add to it. Guess that is part of my aversion to change.
Anyway, have a good trip.
I understand that. There's a few things I don't like changed. I miss the old Poly lobby, even though the new one is nice. Not the same.
However, I may be the only one on wdwmagic who actually thinks the Poly bungalows enhance the atmosphere. Taking a boat back from MK is even more beautiful now that they're added, in my opinion.

epcotisbest

I understand that. There's a few things I don't like changed. I miss the old Poly lobby, even though the new one is nice. Not the same.
However, I may be the only one on wdwmagic who actually thinks the Poly bungalows enhance the atmosphere. Taking a boat back from MK is even more beautiful now that they're added, in my opinion.

We loved the waterfall in the lobby at the Poly. Did not get bent out of shape when they changed it, and I am sure we will go stay at WL again, but will still gripe about my old spot at Hidden Springs being gone.

Jim Buck

We are regulars at the WL and the construction did not bother us at all in our two most recent stays, the lower crowds make dining and the transportation much more comfortable. I can spend hours in the lobby alone especially with the Christmas decorations up!
Enjoy the time you have there and if you are into pin trading there is a board at a kiosk in the lobby, another at the front desk and a small one on Humphrey the bear inside the mercantile.
Also we always go straight to the mercantile, out front there is a carved totem with Humphrey the bear and above him Donald, Goofy and then Mickey. Rub Humphrey's nose for a little extra magic. It has always worked for us!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom