Wilderness Lodge DVC additions - Copper Creek Villas & Cabins

disney4life2008

You're quite young and jaded anyway, so I would expect a response like that from you. :D I was only speaking of crappy phone videos that people post, NOT professionally done concept art - which is a "concept" - and not always indicative of the final product.

So is there not one thing that you have seen posted here (NOT from official Disney sites), that when you went and saw it for yourself, changed your mind about it?

I am 34 years old lol. I am far from young. Do not infer age micro aggressions on me!

Let's see? None that I can think of in the last 7 years. Rivers of light is the absolute worst, i was built up for years and saw it and left severely disappointed. Frozen, while a nice ride does not blow me away. The night safari was my highest anticipation and it is so bad i only managed to do it once. I honestly can't think of anything.

hpyhnt 1000

Here are some crappy phone photos I took during my tour on Tuesday. While the dresser in the studio looks a little IKEA (what's, with the different size drawers?!), the furniture in the one bedrooms and up is very nice, not IKEA looking at all. To be honest, I'm not a big fan of the furniture in the Boulder Ridge villas.

View attachment 201663 View attachment 201664 View attachment 201665 View attachment 201666 View attachment 201667 View attachment 201668 View attachment 201669 View attachment 201670 View attachment 201671 View attachment 201674

Yes, boys and girls, that's a bubble jet tub, similar to the ones in the GF villas.

My photo of the "mud room" shelving between the bedroom and bathroom apparently was too blurry. But you know what I mean - an open shelf unit with several peg hooks, a bench to sit on and cubbies to store stuff.

The kitchen, for being a wall kitchen (not really a galley) has plenty of storage space.

The studios offer a choice of just shower or tub/shower combo. And the the shower in the studio has a sliding barn door with a mirror...and no lock. What is it with Disney and the lack of locks on certain types of bathroom doors?

The only thing I really like is the bed - that wood headboard with the native american-esque bed scarf looks very nice. But more importantly it looks like something that belongs at the WILDERNESS Lodge, which you really can't say about all the furnishings in the other pics. They're just too mid-century modern and would look just as, if not more, appropriate at the Contemporary.

I'm not saying these villas should be wooden branches, log fires, and tribal rugs everywhere, but a few more outdoorsy touches would have been nice (for example, a rough hewn dining table or craftsman style wall sconces).

SpaceMountain77

They're just too mid-century modern and would look just as, if not more, appropriate at the Contemporary.

Exactly! I had the same thought!

Several years ago, I visited the Grand Canyon and had the opportunity to stay in one of the park's lodges. If Disney truly wanted to embrace the spirit of the Grand Canyon Concourse and, specifically, honor Mary Blair's mural, then the furnishings would be most fitting of the Contemporary Resort. The similarities between the Grand Canyon park lodge and these villas are significant.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
No, you're either misunderstanding me or somehow I've really touched a nerve.

I will decide what I'm going to do, where to stay, where to eat. I will however look at others's opinions. I have to narrrow the choice down somehow, so if I ask a question like "OKW or SSR?" I will read the responses and look for things that might appeal to my tastes. And if I feel that someone likes the same kind of things as I do, from their views on resorts I do know, then I will take notice of what they say. Doesn't mean I will necessarily follow.

I would never NOT to something just because others didn't like it, but I might try something new as a result of reading great reviews. The Sci Fi diner was a favourite of ours from our last trip; it sounded fun from the website, and I found lots of great reviews from posters. So I booked it as a surprise for the family.

When I come back for my next visit I will be visiting Pandora and making up my own mind. If people want to trash it, whether they've been or not, that's fine. I'll still read the threads because it's fun. If it turns into a totally hating thread, then I'll ignore it.

Basically, I like reading other people's opinions. Doesn't mean I'm a slave to them.
Fair enough. That was my misunderstanding of what you wrote. It did appear that you were going to do something solely based on another persons opinion. Hope you have a great trip!

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I am 34 years old lol. I am far from young. Do not infer age micro aggressions on me!

Let's see? None that I can think of in the last 7 years. Rivers of light is the absolute worst, i was built up for years and saw it and left severely disappointed. Frozen, while a nice ride does not blow me away. The night safari was my highest anticipation and it is so bad i only managed to do it once. I honestly can't think of anything.
Well, yes, you are young to some like myself. :D We loved RoL. We did not look at any videos or even read very much about it before we went. We knew it was late and that there were issues, but nothing on the substance of it. That is one way we are different, it seems, than most around here. We are not breathlessly waiting for full ride videos of the new Pandora rides. Not waiting for video walk throughs of the land. We will wait and see it in a few months when we are there. While I do keep up with the rumors of things to come, I wait to experience things in person, rather than reading someone elses take on something that we may or may not agree with. Frozen, in our opinion, blows away Maelstrom, BUT, I do agree that the placement is wrong and that it should have been given it's own area in MK.

I guess maybe the answer might be for some to stop trying to look for every scrap of information about something, and simply wait to experience it when you get there. Kinda like we all had to do before the internet. :)

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
The only thing I really like is the bed - that wood headboard with the native american-esque bed scarf looks very nice. But more importantly it looks like something that belongs at the WILDERNESS Lodge, which you really can't say about all the furnishings in the other pics. They're just too mid-century modern and would look just as, if not more, appropriate at the Contemporary.
I'm not saying these villas should be wooden branches, log fires, and tribal rugs everywhere, but a few more outdoorsy touches would have been nice (for example, a rough hewn dining table or craftsman style wall sconces).

Yes the only thing I love is the throw too....believe me I have been trying to like the headboard but for some reason it appears shiny and then reminds me more of a waterbed headboard for a large bed from the 1970's....;)....think if it were a bit more textured and matte it would be better fitting. :) I am wondering if the same design team who DID the contemporary choose the décor for this lot....I see similiarities from pic of Bay Lake above.o_O

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Yes the only thing I love is the throw too....believe me I have been trying to like the headboard but for some reason it appears shiny and then reminds me more of a waterbed headboard for a large bed from the 1970's....;)....think if it were a bit more textured and matte it would be better fitting. :) I am wondering if the same design team who DID the contemporary choose the décor for this lot....I see similiarities from pic of Bay Lake above.o_O
The headboard is not shiny in person. Even though they are pretty decent pictures, this is what I was talking about. Pictures rarely do anything justice. I would hope that no one would decide whether or not to stay at a particular location based solely on pictures, but I know people will.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
The headboard is not shiny in person. Even though they are pretty decent pictures, this is what I was talking about. Pictures rarely do anything justice. I would hope that no one would decide whether or not to stay at a particular location based solely on pictures, but I know people will.

I do. Constantly actually. Whenever me and the misses go on vacation, I look at photos of the lodgings. Then I pick the one that looks best to me and fits in ye olde budget.

We are looking to do a weekend in NY State to visit a couple wineries next month. I am looking at all the local B&Bs, and picking the best one. I can't drive up there to take a gander in person, so I rely on the establishments photos to give me an idea of what I'm getting.

How do you decide where to stay when visiting someplace new?

disney4life2008

Here are some crappy phone photos I took during my tour on Tuesday. While the dresser in the studio looks a little IKEA (what's, with the different size drawers?!), the furniture in the one bedrooms and up is very nice, not IKEA looking at all. To be honest, I'm not a big fan of the furniture in the Boulder Ridge villas.

View attachment 201663 View attachment 201664 View attachment 201665 View attachment 201666 View attachment 201667 View attachment 201668 View attachment 201669 View attachment 201670 View attachment 201671 View attachment 201674

Yes, boys and girls, that's a bubble jet tub, similar to the ones in the GF villas.

My photo of the "mud room" shelving between the bedroom and bathroom apparently was too blurry. But you know what I mean - an open shelf unit with several peg hooks, a bench to sit on and cubbies to store stuff.

The kitchen, for being a wall kitchen (not really a galley) has plenty of storage space.

The studios offer a choice of just shower or tub/shower combo. And the the shower in the studio has a sliding barn door with a mirror...and no lock. What is it with Disney and the lack of locks on certain types of bathroom doors?

I get a whirlpool in my villa at the Marriott.
Well, yes, you are young to some like myself. :D We loved RoL. We did not look at any videos or even read very much about it before we went. We knew it was late and that there were issues, but nothing on the substance of it. That is one way we are different, it seems, than most around here. We are not breathlessly waiting for full ride videos of the new Pandora rides. Not waiting for video walk throughs of the land. We will wait and see it in a few months when we are there. While I do keep up with the rumors of things to come, I wait to experience things in person, rather than reading someone elses take on something that we may or may not agree with. Frozen, in our opinion, blows away Maelstrom, BUT, I do agree that the placement is wrong and that it should have been given it's own area in MK.

I guess maybe the answer might be for some to stop trying to look for every scrap of information about something, and simply wait to experience it when you get there. Kinda like we all had to do before the internet. :)

I agree with everything you said. However, the last statement is not true. Before the internet, we still had access to books and magazines (and tv) that provided insight (albiet much better back then). Honestly, it was the disney publications, VHS and tv specials that sold my family back in the 90s. Today, if I was not a disney fan I am not sure it would keep my interest. The media of disney is much different .

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I agree with everything you said. However, the last statement is not true. Before the internet, we still had access to books and magazines (and tv) that provided insight (albiet much better back then). Honestly, it was the disney publications, VHS and tv specials that sold my family back in the 90s. Today, if I was not a disney fan I am not sure it would keep my interest. The media of disney is much different .
An excellent point, and also very true. I lived in Orlando for years and MK was my playground. I was at the opening of EPCOT, so didn't need books or magazines. I guess my situation is different than most here, since I lived there.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I do. Constantly actually. Whenever me and the misses go on vacation, I look at photos of the lodgings. Then I pick the one that looks best to me and fits in ye olde budget.

We are looking to do a weekend in NY State to visit a couple wineries next month. I am looking at all the local B&Bs, and picking the best one. I can't drive up there to take a gander in person, so I rely on the establishments photos to give me an idea of what I'm getting.

How do you decide where to stay when visiting someplace new?
I guess you are correct that I do look at some photos of a brand new place we have never been, but that isn't the only thing we look at. Location and amenities play a big part as well. We have chosen different places based solely on location and amenities, even though pictures of other places were prettier. Budget isn't a concern for us, but I know it is for many.

disney4life2008

An excellent point, and also very true. I lived in Orlando for years and MK was my playground. I was at the opening of EPCOT, so didn't need books or magazines. I guess my situation is different than most here, since I lived there.

Now that is the EPCOT I miss. Though I was not there at opening; however, the 90s I could spend 2 full days in EPCOT. World Showcase was truly immersive I could spend hours in one country. Today, I find myself rushing from one end to the other just to get my fish and chips to leave.

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Glad to hear the headboard is not shiny....gives it a bit more status with me. Still think its rather sparse in the imagination theming décor department.;) But I am not a DVC member so happy that my usual spaces in the main lodge are still themed nicely. :D Sure bet I will go check out the new restaurants at any rate in the future!:)

Oh and on looking at pics of things prior....years ago we were to travel to Hawaii with my husband for work for a month. We had to look at paper brochures, before internet, and picked one that looked decent. Upon arrival very late at night with baby in tow, we found the room was NOTHING like the brochure and was something not touched since the 70s with metallic wallpaper stained, roach traps, windows that did not close above a bus stop.....ha....for 12$ more a night nearby were newly refurbished suites owned by same company. So yes it can be better in person, but it can also be worse!!! :rolleyes:

ABQ

Credit to Humphrey's unofficial facebook page for a couple pics of the new pool with water in it.

18403494_855329284617642_7673417689818976633_n.jpg

18403438_854197484730822_4061969521529754418_n.jpg

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Tuesday, June 6, 2017. The new pool area is mostly complete, and as posted from last month, is filled with water already. Signs and landscaping are installed. According to cast members, the official opening will be Monday, July 17, with a few soft openings before that date. The entire area is still surrounded by a construction fence.

IMG_9686.JPG

In this close-up, there are several rock wall features with tanks perched on top of the rock, with wooden chutes. Perhaps this will be "waterfall" features, which are protected by the fences to keep guests from getting too close.

IMG_9687.JPG

IMG_9688.JPG

Viewing above the construction fence, a detail of the shelter over one of the pool entrances.

IMG_9696.JPG

The DVC rooms are on the right with the new pool area behind the landscaping and rock wall on the left. This photo taken from the pavement which leads to Geyser Point Grill (behind this photo).

IMG_9690.JPG

Below is one of the pathways leading to the new Copper Creek cabins. See the stone post numbered "8013" for the first cabin. This pathway is from Geyser Point Grille and along the new pool area. The new boat rental building is just to the left of this photo.

IMG_9693.JPG

Here is the re-worked rental boat dock. The area to the right is still being landscaped. The boat rental building is to the right of this photo. Artificial turf has been installed on the left. To the left of this photo is Geyser Point Grille.

IMG_9691.JPG

In other news: The Wilderness Lodge quick service location now under refurbishment should open by end of June. And finally, the original pool bar location is being transformed into a women's salon. Management didn't want to remove this classic building, so it is being repurposed into something that wasn't offered at the Wilderness Lodge. In my opinion, the level of facilities at Wilderness Lodge is becoming more like Animal Kingdom Lodge. (Below photo posted in April 2017.)

IMG_9515[1].JPG

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom