1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Wilderness Lodge DVC additions - Copper Creek Villas & Cabins

Discussion in 'WDW Parks News, Rumors and Current Events' started by danlb_2000, Mar 25, 2015.

1. MansionButler84

MansionButler84 Premium Member

I don't know. They look contemporary rustic to me. Which is the theme. Granted I don't particularly LIKE the theme.

FerretAfros and GoofGoof like this.
  2. TINKWINGS

TINKWINGS Well-Known Member

HUGE Wilderness Lodge fan here and ......Ugh...sorry disappointed....I don't even see contemporary rustic theme here.....and the WIlderness Lodge is supposed to be inspired by the National Parks and Yellowstone......compared to the tradition of the Wilderness Lodge and all its refurbs over the years, this falls way short in my opinion. Its like the decorator had a blank canvas and threw a coverlet on the bed with a kilim print and other than that? I doesn't say wilderness lodge to me at all....oh except the view outside the window. Yes it looks new and neutral but where is the creativity and theming elements that are Disney? If you want contemporary then GO to the contemporary DVC Villas...o_Oo_Oo_O. Nothing in this space says Disney to me.... :bored:.

Kram Sacul, csmat99 and katdralion like this.
  3. DVC Mike

DVC Mike Well-Known Member

Here's a nice view of the interior of the cabins.

4. nickys

nickys Well-Known Member

I like the look of the cabins.

Not much to go on for the studio and 1 bed. Looks sleek but a bit "IKEA" and minimalist for my liking.

5. note2001

note2001 Well-Known Member

There are color changing LEDs in the fireplace, hehe. Not sure if I like it or not, but it's different!

6. MansionButler84

MansionButler84 Premium Member

Just like real Montana! Give those Imagineers 3 attaboys!

note2001 likes this.
  7. Otterhead

Otterhead Well-Known Member

Looks good! I like the look of these cabins. Now if only you'd turned your camera to the side....

flyerjab likes this.
  8. flyerjab

flyerjab Kaltxi Premium Member

LOL! Actually, my wife took those, with no idea that I would be stealing them to republish on this site.

9. JaxFLBear

JaxFLBear Active Member

dreamscometrue likes this.
  10. nickys

nickys Well-Known Member

11. WDW1974

WDW1974 Well-Known Member

I am still astounded at how truly bad these look. How out of place at the WL. And how they've largely destroyed what has always felt like 'home' to me since I first stayed there opening week of 1994.

I am sure plenty of today's Guests, today's DVCers, today's fans will lap these up ... because plenty of the above also have not the faintest clue of theming and sense of place.

As an owner at 'Boulder Ridge' (whatever the blank that is), I am just sickened by the loss of trees, the loss of theme, the loss of beauty and artistry for units that could be anywhere ... what a total piece of (crap). I waited, Ken Potrock, you were wrong, I was right. But you win anyway because there's no going back.

12. Nemo14

Nemo14 Well-Known Member

I really feel like another piece of the DisneyWorld I loved has died. What next?

*shudders*

13. optjay

optjay Active Member

100% agree!!!
    Couldn't agree more. Right from the start of the removal of the "Wilderness" my family felt the loss of our home away from home.
    People saying just wait, trees grow back. No amount of plantings will restore the beauty that once was. the cabins are so out of place, the quite pool is now an attraction size pool.
    We have lost another Disney World treasure

14. yeti

yeti Well-Known Member

"Too bad they spoiled it with a pig!"

Fox&Hound and nor'easter like this.
  15. Casper Gutman

Casper Gutman Well-Known Member

What's really funny is the "backstory" they chose is basically "there was a beautiful woodland resort that got overdeveloped over several decades", which is a bit on the nose.

xdan0920 and MarkTwain like this.
  16. Todd H

Todd H Well-Known Member

Those things look so generic on the inside. Where's the "wilderness" theming?

17. Skyway

Skyway Well-Known Member

Even though Wilderness Lodge is inspired by actual National Park lodges, there are surprisingly very few real-life park lodges with guest rooms that have that "wilderness" look.

One of the few is Old Faithful Inn, which inspired much of Wilderness Lodge. The rooms are definitely rustic in appearance.
    https://goo.gl/images/s0Ic1n

But most other historic National Park Lodges have undergone renovations in recent years, replacing dated 70s/80s "Holiday Inn" decor with either modern or retro furnishings. Most contain only slight nods to their natural surroundings.

Most lodges and inns at Glacier National Park built in the early 1900s have been updated in recent years.
    http://www.glaciernationalparklodges.com/photo

Same with El Tovar:
    http://www.grandcanyonlodges.com/lodging/el-tovar/

And Ahwahnee/Majestic Yosemite:
    http://www.travelyosemite.com/lodging/the-majestic-yosemite-hotel/

As you can see, the new DVC Copper Creek Villas actually DO resemble many modern-day National Park lodge rooms.

But most of those real-life lodge rooms have never been "themed" and don't pretend to be anything but ordinary rooms located in beautiful buildings among beautiful surroundings.

So while many will (righfully) complain that the new DVC units don't fit in because they're too modern, they actually appear to authentically recreate today's NP lodges.

hpyhnt 1000, ABQ, LuvtheGoof and 2 others like this.
  18. jmuboy

jmuboy Well-Known Member

The landscape will grow in and look nice. But the interior design of the cabins.....yuck!

yeti likes this.
  19. Todd H

Todd H Well-Known Member

As an avid outdoorsman who spends more time in the mountains than at any theme park on the planet (just returned from a three day weekend excursion yesterday) I'm going to call Disney out for this lazy and uninspired job. I've stayed at many lodges where the theming is more rustic than Disney's "cabin on the outside, Holiday Inn on the inside" currently at Copper Creek. Here's a few I'll actually spent time in:

Alta Crystal Resort:

[​IMG]

Kalaloch Lodge:

[​IMG]

And my favorite Stormking @ Mt. Ranier:

[​IMG]

Disney had a golden opportunity to let their creativity go wild and instead cheaped out. I know some folks will say "But those cabins you posted look too cheap and outdoorsy!" Well what do you expect at a resort named Wilderness Lodge? You want something that looks more modern? Then stay at The Contemporary. Stop trying to shoehorn this nonsense into my favorite resort.

20. Jon81uk

Jon81uk Well-Known Member

To be fair the cabins at Fort Wilderness look much more like that [​IMG]

hpyhnt 1000 and andysol like this.