Wilderness Lodge DVC additions - Copper Creek Villas & Cabins

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
The main problem here is that all the stray electrons floating around from charging stations for this and that in the modern world induces a charge on the pans. Then, lightning strikes the metal roof and if the bottom of the roof becomes negatively charged and the pans are negatively charged then boom! they go flying through the ground. However, if the bottom of the roof is positively charged and the pans are negatively charged they will fly towards the ceiling, bang into it (by it I mean the ceiling) at high velocity and then bounce off of various noggins vis a vis the cabin occupants. This is if you're lucky. At high enough velocity the pans will simply fly through the roof and continue on their merry way until they have joined the storm cloud. At some unknown point, the storm will dissipate and the pans will rain from the heavens on the unsuspecting denizens of this plant. If these denizens happen to be **** sapiens they will, no doubt, hire the services of a storm tracker and lawyer, trace the pans back to Copper River Canyons of Beautiful Vistas DVCunits of Awesome Grandeur Vaguely Modeled after the National Park Lodges (CRCoBVDoAGVMatNPL) leading to a lawsuit that will increase the price of one day theme park passes by 13.5%. Thus, I concur. Metal roofs on cabins are bad. Now, some of you may wonder how charge separation occurs in a conductor. I tell you this - don't worry about it.
Welp, proved me wrong. Glad they didn't go with metal. Sounds scary.

21stamps

It would appear they are using a combination of Shingle and metal. Generally the only reason for that is an aesthetic one. In a nut shell...they like the way it looks.

That being said all asphalt shingles are not created equal. Much like cars, you have your base model Corolla type, your custom McLaren type and everything in between. There are off the shelf shingles that will legitimately last 30-40 years. I have seen custom runs that exceed even that.

I'd still choose tile every time.. but that's personal preference.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I'd still choose tile every time..don't quite understand why anyone would ever choose differently ;)
Outside of the huge expense, (the plywood has to be thicker, the roof had to be designed to support as much as 4 times more dead load, etc) tile does not perform as well as shingles in storms.

While it does take more to damage a tile roof, once it reaches that thresh hold you will loose a good portion if not the entire roof in what is called a progressive failure (think the domino effect).

With shingles, the damage can start at a lower wind speed, but you often only loose a few shingles or a small section.

ABQ

When you say tile, do you mean slate?
Not answering for anyone, but just placing this here for identification use.

roof-material-types1.png

And these would be ceramic

ceramic-roof-tiles-13212879.jpg

21stamps

When you say tile, do you mean slate?
No, clay.
Not answering for anyone, but just placing this here for identification use.

roof-material-types1.png

And these would be ceramic

ceramic-roof-tiles-13212879.jpg

My roof is Spanish Tile, but clay. So it doesn't exactly fit any of the photos.lol
Outside of the huge expense, (the plywood has to be thicker, the roof had to be designed to support as much as 4 times more dead load, etc) tile does not perform as well as shingles in storms.

While it does take more to damage a tile roof, once it reaches that thresh hold you will loose a good portion if not the entire roof in what is called a progressive failure (think the domino effect).

With shingles, the damage can start at a lower wind speed, but you often only loose a few shingles or a small section.
Slightly off topic, after Hurricane Wilma there was a man who scammed a good portion of Palm Beach County. Been in business for 20+ years. After all of the damage he went to people's homes and offered to do their repairs at something like 50% off of the insurance claim. Cash up front, people could keep their future claim money. He collected all of the payments and then disappeared without doing the work. I didn't follow the story after that so have no clue if he was ever caught. But I think it was reported that he collected a couple of million dollars.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Slightly off topic, after Hurricane Wilma there was a man who scammed a good portion of Palm Beach County. Been in business for 20+ years. After all of the damage he went to people's homes and offered to do their repairs at something like 50% off of the insurance claim. Cash up front, people could keep their future claim money. He collected all of the payments and then disappeared without doing the work. I didn't follow the story after that so have no clue if he was ever caught. But I think it was reported that he collected a couple of million dollars.
Sounds pretty par for the course after a disaster. Someone is always looking to cash in.

21stamps

Just spoke to my DVC rep, and she hinted at these villas being the first to be priced at $200/point. This does not shock me but wow
That's insane. Why would someone pay more for that than Poly? Unless they specifically want the cabins. Wouldn't it be cheaper to just do the cash prices for the villas? Especially when discounted?

DznyRktekt

No, clay.

My roof is Spanish Tile, but clay. So it doesn't exactly fit any of the photos.lol

I don't see how clay would fit at WL. It would be perfect at Coronado Springs.

JoeCamel

I don't see how clay would fit at WL. It would be perfect at Coronado Springs.

How about they colored them green? I mean the rest is all green right? That would fit the theme?

Just kidding it is simply cost cutting IMO

BTW to the poster that said the rooms in the lodge are dark? Well, take a trip to the great lodges and you will see they are perfectly in theme. It was tough to get glass to those so the windows were small. No sliding glass in those.

21stamps

How about they colored them green? I mean the rest is all green right? That would fit the theme?

Just kidding it is simply cost cutting IMO

BTW to the poster that said the rooms in the lodge are dark? Well, take a trip to the great lodges and you will see they are perfectly in theme. It was tough to get glass to those so the windows were small. No sliding glass in those.
We'll be staying at Lake Quinault Lodge in July. The room doesn't look as dark as WL..there's a fireplace and a balcony, so I'm hoping it's a tad bigger..and brighter.lol This will be our first time in the Pacific Northwest. (And probably last)
I'm not saying the rooms at WL aren't in theme, it's just a theme that I don't like in a room..Not the way it's currently styled. However, the lodge itself is amazing, which does almost make up for the dark and small room.
Someone said the rooms at VWL are larger, and a little brighter. I'm hoping this is true.
I'll add, I think the fact that we had a bunk bed room made it feel even smaller. If we had regular beds the room may have been better.

Last edited:

JoeCamel

We'll be staying at Lake Quinault Lodge in July. The room doesn't look as dark as WL..there's a fireplace and a balcony, so I'm hoping it's a tad bigger..and brighter.lol This will be our first time in the Pacific Northwest. (And probably last)
I'm not saying the rooms at WL aren't in theme, it's just a theme that I don't like in a room..Not the way it's currently styled. However, the lodge itself is amazing, which does almost make up for the dark and small room.
Someone said the rooms at VWL are larger, and a little brighter. I'm hoping this is true.
I'll add, I think the fact that we had a bunk bed room made it feel even smaller. If we had regular beds the room may have been better.

Sorry, not one of the "great lodges" WL was built to emulate.

21stamps

Old Faithful Inn in Yellowstone probably more than any other, but it has touches of other northwestern NP lodges.
That looks gorgeous. Unfortunately there is no way to fit Yellowstone into a 5 or 6 night Olympic Peninsula road trip, so that visit probably won't happen anytime soon.

JoeCamel

21stamps

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom