Wilderness Lodge DVC additions - Copper Creek Villas & Cabins

Longhairbear

Yes, it will.

That's the whole point. Making a quick buck off DVC (think of it like a hit from the meth ... I mean pixie dust pipe, sorry thought I was at WDI for a second!) and also making the deluxe rooms capacity drop, so they can continue their insane price increases annually.

I love the place, but in all my stays (and that includes courtyard views and concierge level) I have never paid more than $200 a night with my average price being a lot closer to $130 a night. They can provide me with five fanbois to service me and I'm not paying $400-700 a night to stay there. The fools and rubes can.
I bet they only convert rooms to studios, no more kitchens, like at the Poly. We always book a 1 bedroom, one reason we will probably never stay at the Poly. Our home resort is VWL, so at least I have the 11 month window when booking. Now I'm wondering if the room conversions will change my ability to book.

mikenatcity1

As a DVC owner at WLV I can say this blows. The seperation of DVC & traditional resort are what makes the Lodge a truly comfortable place that works well for a variety of families and travel requirements.

They said it best in Ghost Busters.....NEVER cross the streams!

VWL is my favorite DVC resort to stay in- I love that its secluded and out of the way. With the recent renovations, it's amazing. I hope it doesn't loose its charm by adding to the main building.

CaptainAmerica

What is everyone crying about, exactly? I've been a "cash guest" at Old Key West and Kidani Village DVC units a number of times. Want to know the difference between a standard room and a DVC studio? Absolutely nothing. This isn't going to do anything to the inventory because the DVC inventory is available to regular guests. DAKL and WL will continue to be priced below OKW and Saratoga, which will continue to be priced below the Boardwalk resorts, which will continue to be priced below the monorail resorts.

ETA: Not to mention the fact that the people buying these units are people who would have stayed at the resort anyways, so that side is a net zero impact on availability as well.

Last edited:

ABQ

What is everyone crying about, exactly? I've been a "cash guest" at Old Key West and Kidani Village DVC units a number of times. Want to know the difference between a standard room and a DVC studio? Absolutely nothing. This isn't going to do anything to the inventory because the DVC inventory is available to regular guests. DAKL and WL will continue to be priced below OKW and Saratoga, which will continue to be priced below the Boardwalk resorts, which will continue to be priced below the monorail resorts.

ETA: Not to mention the fact that the people buying these units are people who would have stayed at the resort anyways, so that side is a net zero impact on availability as well.
The move from standard cash rooms to DVC rooms within the main building will impact the performance of the WL itself dramatically. I don't have the math at my fingertips, but hopefully WDWMagic's resident CPA (that's a joke, as I have no idea his background) @ParentsOf4 can find his stats that make it clear to see how the DVC presence reduces the hotel's ability to turn a profit and force it to operate under the most modest means. The resort needs as many non DVC units as possible. And my family are DVC owners at the VWL, it was just fine as it was.

Donald Razorduck

It's our favorite resort. The fifth fold down bed in the studios great for our family giving us the option for more days instead of larger room. Our next trip will not be till late 2017 because so much under construction in the Orlando area is supposed to be done by then. We plan on Disneyland next year. It seems like a remote resort, secluded yet so close via the boat.

CaptainAmerica

The move from standard cash rooms to DVC rooms within the main building will impact the performance of the WL itself dramatically. I don't have the math at my fingertips, but hopefully WDWMagic's resident CPA (that's a joke, as I have no idea his background) @ParentsOf4 can find his stats that make it clear to see how the DVC presence reduces the hotel's ability to turn a profit and force it to operate under the most modest means. The resort needs as many non DVC units as possible. And my family are DVC owners at the VWL, it was just fine as it was.
I welcome the challenge. I'll trade debits and credits with @ParentsOf4 any day.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
I just hate being right so often. I know it will upset some of my biggest fans down under. :D:devilish::)

But I am a bit surprised how long the permit is for. I shudder to think how much this will change my favorite WDW resort (about 150 nights spent there). I do know the project includes whatever they decided to put out over the water (teepees, cabins, wagons, 76 Pintos etc.) and two new concierge lounges (one DVC, one hotel).
But I'd need to check the plans to see what else was being done ... oh, I know a MAJOR redo for Artist Point as well.

I'm scared to death they'll destroy this place (sorry, WDW fanbois who can't get to DLR, but adding a Trader Sam's at the Poly doesn't change the fact the resort has lost most of its character and been Walmarted!), especially since Angie and I now own DVC at the original WLV.

I recall how much I hated the idea of them adding DVC in 2000 to the WL, but they did a magnificent job of integrating it (the best of ANY resort that got a DVC addition).

Like I said, I'm just afraid.

Are they really planning to put something over the water like at the Poly? If they are then I would think we would see SFWMD permits for this.

Unplugged

Now I'm wondering if the room conversions will change my ability to book.

We should be safe with booking. Reason being is the WL is a resort and cannot simply use the rooms at VWL without following the contract guidelines. So book your VWL as close to the 11 months as possible, before the inventory transfers!

Also, the VWL rooms are booked by the resort at a higher price so we know from the Poly work that Disney isn't looking to cut an deals for inconvenience. That tells me they won't be looking to off set the closed rooms as they want to keep the revenue high.

Now as for what they actually do......

dstrawn9889

I think it would be really interesting if they incorporated Discovery Island in some way.
you mean the overgrown and mouldering old island in the middle of the lake? to make it safe for guests again i would guess that they would have to raze the island to 10" below grade and start over... really doubtful

ToTBellHop

you mean the overgrown and mouldering old island in the middle of the lake? to make it safe for guests again i would guess that they would have to raze the island to 10" below grade and start over... really doubtful
Yeah...never gonna happen. I can't see the company ever agreeing to use the island again due to the challenge of getting guests off the island in the case of an emergency. I'm similarly surprised that Tom Sawyer Island remains to this day (with now-off-the-table plans to build a bridge to the mainland of Frontierland).

pixargal

Are they really planning to put something over the water like at the Poly? If they are then I would think we would see SFWMD permits for this.
I hope they decide against this. The bungalows over the water at the Poly was a horrible decision. It has ruined the experience for 99% of the guests, while pleasing only 1%. I used to enjoy sitting on the beach and being able to see the Contemporary, the Magic Kingdom, and Grand Floridian. Now, it's tacky bungalows. Please, Disney, do not do that to the Wilderness Lodge.

SpaceMountainUK

It's a strange theme decision as tepees really were not ever built over water esp with the whole Pacific North West theme but if true I don't think it will impact the WL in the same way as it has impacted the Poly and the beach which was once there. Also the waters edge at WL really is like a swamp imagine the bugs & mosquitos in the summer it's bad enough when renting boats from the dock the amount which are in the boat or flying around over the waters edge!!

ParentsOf4

I welcome the challenge. I'll trade debits and credits with @ParentsOf4 any day.
In a nutshell, converting a room to DVC provides fantastic cash flow for 1 year, and subpar cash flow for 49 years. (The typical DVC property is for 50 years.)

Let's consider the Polynesian Villas & Bungalows (PVB).

Someone buying there will pay $165/point. It costs 169 points to stay there in the summer. That means someone who wants to stay at the PVB for a week every summer will hand Disney $27,885 this year!

Sounds great but ...

After their initial purchases, PVB members will pay the 2015 equivalent of $1015/week ($145/night) to stay during the summer at WDW's second-most expensive resort in rooms that normally start at over $3,800/week ($543/night) and go up from there.

Meanwhile, in 2014, Disney's net income was $7.5 billion. However, Disney repurchased $6.5 billion in its own stock and paid out another $2.0 billion in dividends.

That $27,885 sale sounds great but all of the net proceeds (and then some) are simply going to be fed into the Disney Stock Machine. That money is not going into the hotel itself.

Considering that, overwhelmingly, most Disney executive compensation is in some form of stock instrument, is it any wonder why? :greedy:

What does that mean for the Polynesian?

That means that the hotel needs to remain profitable on income of $145/night, whereas before it needed to remain profitable on income of $543/night. Even assuming discounts and a lower occupancy rate when they were cash rooms, the Polynesian will end up collecting only a fraction of what it used to realize when it was a hotel-only business.

How are they going to remain profitable?

Simple - reduce expenses.

That means cheapen hotel services for the next 49 years so that Iger & co. could collect big, fat bonuses this year. :greedy:

Returning to the point of this thread, what do you think will happen at the Wilderness Lodge as larger percentages of hotel Guests become those paying timeshare rates for the next 50 years? :facepalm:

disneydudette

I expect the room conversion to be quite similar to what's been completed at the Polynesian...

Standard Guest Rooms to Studio Villas.

But... I'm curious as to how DVC would market them? Would the Studios located in the Lodge itself be priced higher or lower? Identical room decor... or different?

I'd also expect to see this conversion (Guest Room to Studio) to effect other Deluxe resorts as well.

CaptainAmerica

In a nutshell, converting a room to DVC provides fantastic cash flow for 1 year, and subpar cash flow for 49 years. (The typical DVC property is for 50 years.)

Let's consider the Polynesian Villas & Bungalows (PVB).

Someone buying there will pay $165/point. It costs 169 points to stay there in the summer. That means someone who wants to stay at the PVB for a week every summer will hand Disney $27,885 this year!

Sounds great but ...

After their initial purchases, PVB members will pay the 2015 equivalent of $1015/week ($145/night) to stay during the summer at WDW's second-most expensive resort in rooms that normally start at over $3,800/week ($543/night) and go up from there.

Meanwhile, in 2014, Disney's net income was $7.5 billion. However, Disney repurchased $6.5 billion in its own stock and paid out another $2.0 billion in dividends.

That $27,885 sale sounds great but all of the net proceeds (and then some) are simply going to be fed into the Disney Stock Machine. That money is not going into the hotel itself.

Considering that, overwhelmingly, most Disney executive compensation is in some form of stock instrument, is it any wonder why? :greedy:

What does that mean for the Polynesian?

That means that the hotel needs to remain profitable on income of $145/night, whereas before it needed to remain profitable on income of $543/night. Even assuming a lower occupancy rate when they were cash rooms, the Polynesian will end up collecting only a fraction of what it used to realize when it was a hotel-only business.

How are they going to do that?

Simple - reduce expenses.

That means cheapen hotel services for the next 49 years so that Iger & co. could collect big, fat bonuses this year. :greedy:

Returning to the point of this thread, what do you think will happen at the Wilderness Lodge as a larger percentage of hotel Guests become those paying timeshare rates for the next 50 years? :facepalm:
The initial $28K needs to be amortized over the life of the contract and added to the maintenance fees. That initial cash flow is required by statute to be set aside in reserves to fund future upkeep. This is actually very important, as the timeshare obligations mandate that guest rooms and common areas be maintained reasonably in line with the condition they were in at the time of purchase. In other words, the upfront cash influx from DVC sales actually results in a pot of money that will subsidize the repairs and maintenance of common areas that are enjoyed by both DVC and non DVC guests.

Edited for clarity.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom