Wilderness Lodge DVC additions - Copper Creek Villas & Cabins

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I actually wrote about that and then deleted it, as I realized that I don't know how Disney's DVC stuff actually works. If it qualifies as a real estate sale, the revenue could be recognized up-front. But that typically requires a deeded and specific property interest, which I don't know that DVC actually provides. If it doesn't qualify as a real estate sale, then its a prepayment for future services, which would be recognized over time.
It is a deeded and specific property interest. On our documents, it shows a certain percentage of a particular room in the resort. A very small percentage, but a percentage it is.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
It is a deeded and specific property interest. On our documents, it shows a certain percentage of a particular room in the resort. A very small percentage, but a percentage it is.
There ya go. Then it probably does result in a good portion of that up-front sales price being recognized as revenue immediately.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Can't tell if you're being sarcastic, but I believe @ParentsOf4 and @WDW1974 are self-professed DVC owners. So I'm not sure "hater" is the right word.

I don't think anyone has any animosity to DVC members. Just animosity toward the ways that DVC affects the individual resorts to where its added, as well as the entire WDW business-model really. It really all comes down to Parks and Resorts executives, and their management of WDW, and ultimately, how their decisions affect the experiences at WDW for all of us.
'74 has stated many times in the past that he detests DVC, but now that his new GF is a DVC member, he has softened his stance. Everyone keeps saying that bringing DVC to a resort lessens the experience, and I would like an example of that. We have stayed at almost all of the deluxe resorts, so please tell me what we have missed out on with DVC?

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
I actually don't see the insanity. I wish we could go back to having off times.
I wish we could as well. But it would be insane for Disney to let that happen. Given that the parks can be used every day of the year by roughly the same number of people, the best use is to fill 'em up all the time. Same with hotel rooms, baseball stadiums, rental cars.

ToTBellHop

I don't get this point. Shouldn't the decreased need for discounts of rooms be Disney's goal? Isn't full occupancy the goal? If @ParentsOf4 's point is that by adding DVC- then hotel occupancy rates are higher, which devalues the experience because theres more people in the lobby and busses, then ok- I agree with him.
While we're on that subject- I'd also love for them to not have running events the first week of January when I often went because it was dead and no one was in the park. And for that matter- stop the free dining promotions- it devalues my experience because reservations are harder to come by and the parks have higher attendance during what used to be a ghost town.

See the insanity of that argument? Disney has a way to fill the rooms without needing to offer discounts for cash stays- please tell me how that hurts the quality of any experience.
I don't think it is bad from Disney's perspective to have fewer deals. I was providing examples of how DVC raises Disney's profit instead of lowering it, requiring a reduction in services.

CaptainAmerica

You simply cannot argue with the DVC haters around here. We DVC people are evil incarnate, dontcha know. ;)
Oh don't get me wrong. I HATE DVC from a personal finance perspective, but I really can't comprehend the idea that the mere presence of DVC somehow harms the experience of non-DVCers.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
There ya go. Then it probably does result in a good portion of that up-front sales price being recognized as revenue immediately.
I'm pretty sure this is why they made the contracts deeded property. Economically it works a lot like a prepaid vacation, but they legally set it up as a sale of deeded property. I'm guessing the finance guys would prefer to take the gains to income immediately vs waiting. The tax guys probably disagree.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Oh don't get me wrong. I HATE DVC from a personal finance perspective, but I really can't comprehend the idea that the mere presence of DVC somehow harms the experience of non-DVCers.
The only argument I have seen that holds some water is that timeshare resorts and deluxe resorts typically have a different focus. Typical timeshare resorts focus more on providing the comforts of home (like a kitchen), resort activities and family fun with less of a focus on service while typical deluxe resorts focus more on luxury amenities and personal services. I've heard people speculate that by converting part of a deluxe resort to DVC you change the focus from luxury and service. In practice I'm not sure that has played out so far since CR still offers services like room service and a fitness center even though DVC was added. Maybe at resorts like Poly where it's more of a 50/50 split it could become an issue. It's really a fear of a change in focus that will somehow make the resorts less luxurious.

The only other argument I've heard is that the resorts are more crowded because DVC runs at a higher occupancy rate. More people at the pool, on buses and in the common areas.

gmajew

Premium Member
Have not stayed at this property in all my trips to WDW but thought about checking it out next trip instead of my normal spot..... Loved the look of this property hope it stays as cool as it is.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Booked at WL (regular room-not DVC) for September. Anyone know the timeline of this project and how it will effect public areas (lobby, lounge, roaring fork, etc.)?
Good question. I would assume that if they filed the permit already that work will start before September and given the length of the permit will still be going on. We don't have any firm details on any common area changes. With DVC they usually don't like to formally announce things until after construction has started so who knows when we'll find out. The good news is they just finished a major refurb on the pool area so that shouldn't be impacted. @WDW1974 mentioned a change to the Artist Point restaurant and the addition of 2 concierge lounges. Not sure about Roaring Fork or the lobby (they better not mess up that lobby):mad:

The room renovation work should not have a major impact on you since they will just take chunks of rooms down at a time.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I actually wrote about that and then deleted it, as I realized that I don't know how Disney's DVC stuff actually works. If it qualifies as a real estate sale, the revenue could be recognized up-front. But that typically requires a deeded and specific property interest, which I don't know that DVC actually provides. If it doesn't qualify as a real estate sale, then its a prepayment for future services, which would be recognized over time.

It's a real estate sale - I have my deeds to prove it. And the specific property interest conveyed is calculated by Disney as points. So the additional 25 points I purchased at the GF gave me a 0.0266% interest in Unit 2A at the Villas at the Grand Floridian Resort, a leasehold condominium, according to my deed. My annual dues include not only HOA, but property taxes.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Hey now. Mom always said I was a handsome young man so that can't be true

Edit: I know the look of GFV and BLT is not popular with some people. The Poly bungalows even less popular.

I don't see an issue with the look of the GF Villas. And IMHO, BLT are better looking than the Contemporary - was that sacrilegious?

LAKid53

Premium Member
Great, my annual dues at the VWL will be going up next year.....

I wish Disney would reconsider this "refurb". I bought into Wilderness because we love the Lodge and the Villas fit in perfectly. Plus, we have our own pool over at DVC.

I believe WL is the smallest of the Deluxes in the number of rooms, so why convert? And not all DVC resorts are booked 100% - you can usually find a room at Saratoga Springs.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it....

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I don't see an issue with the look of the GF Villas. And IMHO, BLT are better looking than the Contemporary - was that sacrilegious?
I actually agree with you on both. I have no issues with the look of GFV. I think BLT looks pretty "contemporary" which is supposed to be the theme of the resort. It's a pretty good match and blends in well with the original to me. I'm an owner there so maybe I'm biased. Then again, I think everyone has a personal bias on DVC. Owners like to have new options for places to stay. For non-DVC owners who are unlikely to enjoy the rooms, there is going to be a negative slant. Nothing in it for them. It's human nature.

The over water things at Poly are a different story. I personally don't think they look as bad as many other people seem to, but they do cut down on what was once a pretty nice beach area. I'm not a huge fan.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Great, my annual dues at the VWL will be going up next year.....

I wish Disney would reconsider this "refurb". I bought into Wilderness because we love the Lodge and the Villas fit in perfectly. Plus, we have our own pool over at DVC.

I believe WL is the smallest of the Deluxes in the number of rooms, so why convert? And not all DVC resorts are booked 100% - you can usually find a room at Saratoga Springs.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it....
SSR and OKW are the only DVC resorts with any regular last minute availability. Neither is attached to a deluxe resort. The one's attached to deluxe resorts run at very high occupancy.

LAKid53

Premium Member
I actually agree with you on both. I have no issues with the look of GFV. I think BLT looks pretty "contemporary" which is supposed to be the theme of the resort. It's a pretty good match and blends in well with the original to me. I'm an owner there so maybe I'm biased. Then again, I think everyone has a personal bias on DVC. Owners like to have new options for places to stay. For non-DVC owners who are unlikely to enjoy the rooms, there is going to be a negative slant. Nothing in it for them. It's human nature.

The over water things at Poly are a different story. I personally don't think they look as bad as many other people seem to, but they do cut down on what was once a pretty nice beach area. I'm not a huge fan.

I like the bungalows at Poly, except for the price - just received my point book for next year and WOW! However, if I was staying in a 1st or 2nd floor studio, I wouldn't be happy that the view from my room was that of a bungalow. There I think Disney made a mistake.

ryguy

It's negative when they start taking resort rooms away from the rest of us. For example, the Poly lost three buildings to DVC which now decreases my chances of getting a discounted traditional room. So that ticks me off.

Since the start of DVC and the emergence of the Dining Plan, Disney quality has steadily gone down hill. It's all a scam and charade to sugar coat the price gauging. They price the food so high it makes the dining plan look like a good deal. The price of the DVC rooms are insane, again to make buying into DVC look like a smart idea. They can't fill the deluxe resort rooms so they decrease inventory to pad the numbers. Slick corporate crap.

LAKid53

Premium Member
SSR and OKW are the only DVC resorts with any regular last minute availability. Neither is attached to a deluxe resort. The one's attached to deluxe resorts run at very high occupancy.

Good point. However, I still think Disney is going to ruin WL by converting some of the rooms to DVC studios. And very small DVC studios since the rooms at WL are small compared to say the Poly.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom