Wilderness Explorers @ DAK

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
I think most people could care less whether Disney adds a non-intrusive scavenger hunt to the park for children. I am more irritated that management probably thinks will be the band-aid that's needed to justify not spending money on quality attractions in a stagnant park that clearly needs more for families. Be that as it may, if a family is willing to pay admission price now that there is a low-tech scavenger hunt (that Busch Gardens could have put together), more power to them....

Look like we agree on what mindset makes this a negative.

lobelia

I think little activities like this are nice for families to do together. I don't think they are making a big deal of it and I don't think it is a big deal. We looked for the paint brush on TSI,we look for hidden Mickeys when we walk around WDW and we try to find all of the animals in the tree of life. They are just nice variations from standing in line, and dodging strollers. I can't see anyone paying admission to go do this, but engaging activities in the park are nice toppings. Yes, I wish they would fix the Yeti and the tree and add more animals rides, but this program aims to engage kids in activities. If it helps to keep them from whining, pouting, sitting in a stroller, staring at a video game, my experience is better.

SirLink

Now if we just get a Paradise Falls section added to DAK instead of Pandora...

Urgh...I understand why Iger said to Cameron about Avatar for Animal Kingdom with the emphasis on flora and fauna ... then we had social media rumors of Naboo I kinda see why someone would say that but it doesn't make sense of their is no focus on flora and fauna in Star Wars and now Paradise falls ...:eek: some words come to mind, some that would be auto-censored here...

juniorthomas

Disney is certainly acknowledging that their parks need more substance and things to do - I am just perplexed that they think scavenger hunts for children are the answer.

(This isn't meant to be snarky) Do you have any kids? Activities are always welcome when it comes to entertaining littl'ns. I think the parks (and we visitors) always benefit from having a multitude of entertainment options, be they shows, rides, scavenger hunts, meals, etc.

menamechris

(This isn't meant to be snarky) Do you have any kids? Activities are always welcome when it comes to entertaining littl'ns. I think the parks (and we visitors) always benefit from having a multitude of entertainment options, be they shows, rides, scavenger hunts, meals, etc.

Nope, I don't have any children, but do take by 9-year nephew to the parks once in awhile. I can only speak from my experience with him - in which case he would probably say "Uncle Chris, we are at Disney, why would I want to do a scavenger hunt?" I get that some kids love these activities - and parents as well - but as a guest and frequent visitor, I view it as a lack of truly appropriate options for families. "We have done everything else already, and we don't have a parkhopper, so let's do this scavenger hunt to fill up our day..." Again, some kids and families may and will love it - but I personally feel a bit more should be expected from Disney. Admittedly, a personal opinon.

SirLink

Not when it ruins the design and feel of the parks it is not welcome...

P.S. Since when is a meal an entertainment option? I thought a meal is when you socialize with others in your party...

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Not when it ruins the design and feel of the parks it is not welcome...

P.S. Since when is a meal an entertainment option? I thought a meal is when you socialize with others in your party...

When there is entertainment at the meal -- characters, music, etc. At least, I think that's what he meant. Given a choice between a meal with entertainment and one without, I'd usually take "without", but lots of others would prefer "with".

Turtle

Now if we just get a Paradise Falls section added to DAK instead of Pandora...
i would like it if they added a dark ride of the film, animatronic show based off of Kevin, Russell, and Dug , trails thru Paradise Falls which is where this game would be, restaurant of Epsilon's (chef Dog inside munt'z blimp). This could replace the expansion plot of Australia.

Then they add North America replacing Camp Minnie Mickey with Grizzly Bear Mountain Coaster (Tip Top Club's idea).

Then add Jungle Book dark ride to Asia, and Festival of The Lion King to Africa.

Fix Yeti

Replace Chester and Hester with an ice age ride (not the franchise)

Put Dinosaur to it's full glory and fix the AA's and change the name back to "Countdown to Extinction"

ANIMAL KINGDOM IS BEST PARK IN WDW

SirLink

It's shocking that I think that a decent-to-nice restaurant is the first thing that comes to mind for a "grown up experience"? Or is it that you dont consider Be Our Guest to be "grown up". Just trying to figure out what is "Eek" about this?

I think when the first thing you think of is dining when referring to a grown up activity in the parks is more telling... there needs to be stuff to do in the parks which is done for grown ups...look at Alien Encounter... they got rid of it...because kids were scared...that is my point...whenever there is something that looks like it could be for grownups it gets removed.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
I think when the first thing you think of is dining when referring to a grown up activity in the parks is more telling... there needs to be stuff to do in the parks which is done for grown ups...look at Alien Encounter... they got rid of it...because kids were scared...that is my point...whenever there is something that looks like it could be for grownups it gets removed.
I guess just happen to really enjoy going out to eat at a restaurant. When I get free time away from my kids (or when they are in the mood to handle it, with them), it's one of the few things I like to do. Personally, having a grown up style dining experience that in no way looks down on those with young children, that's a big addition to the MK.
For example, last trip, my wife and I got the grandparents to watch the kids, we headed to Epcot. What did we do? Go crazy riding tons of rides? Nope, while we did ride Test Track once (and enjoyed it), the rest of our evening was spent trying drinks in Club Cool, a fantastic dinner at Via Napoli (with pitcher of Sangria), and Illuminations.
Personal tastes yes, but IMO, Be Our Guest is an added experience geared toward grown-ups.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
I wouldn't count Be Our Guest. It's not included in your ticket price beyond being able to look at the outside of it. You pay very nicely to have that adult experience...
That is something I can understand and agree with.
So, next thought, just since I brought it up before.
Test Track 2.0?

menamechris

That is something I can understand and agree with.
So, next thought, just since I brought it up before.
Test Track 2.0?

Test Track 2.0 as an addition? If anything, I think it will appeal more to kids now, to be honest. Tons of kids will be into designing their own car as part of the pre-show. I think Test Track is definetly "prettier" now - but I don't think you can say it is a more adult experience.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom