WiFi in-room

maelstrom

So how's the in-room wifi? I haven't been to WDW since 2008, and even then that was the Dolphin so the internet situation was different. I know that at the WDW resorts there was an ethernet cable and you had to pay $10/day, so I was pleasantly surprised to hear that WDW now has free wifi like Disneyland. But... how is it... really? Decent speeds and available everywhere? I'll have my iPhone and my laptop running Kubuntu. :)

englanddg

One Little Spark...
The ethernet cable option is no longer available (at least wasn't at Pop when I was there in August).

Connection was ok, not great...but keeping connection was difficult, even if the Wifi signal was strong. I had to constantly connect and re-connect while using it.

My reaction to it? Meh. I'd rather have the ethernet cable and pay $10 a day.

Upvote 0

PUSH

It may have gotten better since my last stay, but last time it was just okay. Good enough to check Facebook, e-mail, etc, but I wouldn't be surfing the net like I do with my home computer. It sometimes loses connection randomly, but hey, it's free!

Upvote 0

englanddg

One Little Spark...
It may have gotten better since my last stay, but last time it was just okay. Good enough to check Facebook, e-mail, etc, but I wouldn't be surfing the net like I do with my home computer. It sometimes loses connection randomly, but hey, it's free!

I require internet to work remotely (yeah, I don't get to just "disappear" on vacations...they always say that they won't bother me, but every trip something goes wrong that I have to get involved in)...

Remote access was a gripe through their Wifi...that was my primary beef. Especially when the connection kept dropping.

In 2010 they were testing (I assume) Wifi at CBR, and it was the same experience. I was so happy to have the ethernet option in 2011...

I wish they'd kept both. Maybe, free Wifi for some users, but a paid ethernet option for those who require a more solid and/or faster connection?

Upvote 0

BoarderPhreak

It's free... And the speed reflects that. ;)

Swalphin guests get to pay $17/day (up from $14/day) for the same privilege/speed.

They've been upgrading the WiFi all around this year... But honestly, I'm not sure I noticed any difference. In park for example was essentially unusable.

Upvote 0

polymissy

It will probably depend on your resort. In recent months I used in room wifi on my iPad and iPhone at Pop Century, Beach Club, and The Polynesian. I was able to connect without an issue at all three resorts and the speed was good. However, I had trouble maintaining the connection at the Poly and needed to repeatedly connect. Good luck!

Upvote 0

MickeyPeace

It's free... And the speed reflects that. ;)

Swalphin guests get to pay $17/day (up from $14/day) for the same privilege/speed.

They've been upgrading the WiFi all around this year... But honestly, I'm not sure I noticed any difference. In park for example was essentially unusable.
True but that fee includes fitness center, daily newspaper, 3 bottles of water daily and Starbucks coffee/Tazo tea in room. Worth it IMO.

Upvote 0

maelstrom

Original Poster
The wifi at Disneyland was pretty good, and it was fine for what I used it for (email, Facebook, IRC, Skype), so I'm hoping WDW's is similarly decent. Thanks for all your input!

Upvote 0

englanddg

One Little Spark...
The wifi at Disneyland was pretty good, and it was fine for what I used it for (email, Facebook, IRC, Skype), so I'm hoping WDW's is similarly decent. Thanks for all your input!

Disneyland's wifi was better...in a way.

I was at the Disneyland Hotel, and it worked great in the room, but step more than 10 feet or so outside of the hotel buildings (like...I dunno, maybe you want to sit by the firepit, or at Trader Sam's?) and it was non-existent.

Upvote 0

StarWarsGirl

Don't plan on working past midnight. It went down last time I was there when I was working that late (at least at Boardwalk) and it frustrated me beyond belief. I was trying to send in an assignment to my teacher and had to send her an email from someplace else that said, "Oops, sorry, wifi's out." Thankfully she believed me and just said that's why she hates technology, but anyway. It tends to be a bit slow.

Upvote 0

olinecoach61

The connection at the poly was very unreliable, I kept losing connection. I was less than impressed considering almost every restaurant you go in today has free wifi that works.

Upvote 0

luv

Sometimes it connects you and goes fast. Sometimes it is slow. Sometimes it doesn't connect.

It's not something I count on at this point. I'd much rather have a cable and have it work.

Upvote 0

RonAnnArbor

Wifi last week seemed much improved over a few months ago...but even with that, AT&T's LTE was three times faster and more stable throughout the resorts and parks...

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom