why the hate about the new entertainment?

doctornick

Have you learned NOTHING in 3,275 posts here????
animal-meme-161.jpg

Oh, I get it. I just felt there was an unusually high amount of snark and vitriol in the "discussion" regarding these changes. I understand people being upset when something they enjoy is going away (and people they know personally will be out of work) but the amount of insulting directed towards people who disagreed with the groupthink was unsettling.

tigger1968

The hate comes from the fact that, as many others have stated, Epcot has grown rather stale due to a lack of any real updates to the actual attractions. Replacing musical acts that have been long standing features of the park has come across as a cost savings measure...not an effort to actually improve the guest experience.

I totally agree with the theory that the parks are not supposed to be a museum, and should be an ever changing environment. But TDO seems to be much more focused on the bottom line. We just got hit with the news that DVC will continue to invade the resorts, NFL is a really well themed land but the rest of the MK is in dire need of some love as well. Epcot really hasn't had any love other than Tron Track..., and of course there is AK with Avatar Land and such...something that was basically irrelevant before they broke ground. There are hopes for the Studios, but...yeah. And of course the new mega mall that is Disney Springs is well underway.

I guess the anger and vitriol that came from this announcement was, at least for me, a sort of "what else can you do to us?" reaction. I LOVE Off Kilter, but even as I say that, I am disappointed to see them playing nothing but 80's covers, and the last three shows I caught featured a violin player subbing for my beloved bagpipes.

So perhaps it's time for a change...but instead of replacing the acts over time, the plan seems to have been to fire everyone, and while they are all ending their runs in a month, and acts are coming in to replace them, there is no announced start date for them. The parks blog just said something to the effect of "in the coming months". I interpret that to mean empty stages, and silence echoing across the pond for a while...

So yeah....I'm kinda hacked off.... :rolleyes:

Tinkerbell 8

I don't personally hate the new entertainment that is planned for Epcot, I just hate that Epcot has plenty of other things that need to be fixed or updated before the entertainment and they seem to be doing nothing about that. The entertainment around WS provides guests something to do while wondering around, there was no date given for the beginning of the new entertainment staff so the venues could remain vacant for a while and we have all seen what can happen when something remains vacant for a while in WDW, ex Wonders of Life pavilion. I appreciate that they are trying to freshen up the parks, but I think there are plenty of other projects that need to be done first.

Lee

Adventurer
This.

People confuse the 2. Epcot is stale because they don't add new attractions. The entertainment at Epcot (and the food) are the only things it really has going for it. Not to turn this into a Disney vs. Universal thing, but this is the KEY difference between the 2. When Universal closes one attraction (which they do, and have closed favorites of mine), they always equal with the replacement, or better it. Disney goes backwards. Look at Epcot:

Living Seas to Nemo = Loser
El Rio De Tiempo to Grand Fiesta Tour = Loser
Horizons to Mission:Space = Loser
Spaceship Earth 100% to Spaceship Earth 75% = Loser
Wonders of Life to nothing = Loser

Test Track was the only thing they replaced something with that wasn't a bust, and that's arguable as World Of Motion was fantastic.
Well, no...Universal isn't always equal or better with their replacements.
Alfred Hitchcock and the Art of Making Movies to Shrek = Super Loser.

IMNSHO....

squidward

Well, no...Universal isn't always equal or better with their replacements.
Alfred Hitchcock and the Art of Making Movies to Shrek = Super Loser.

IMNSHO....

I don't remember either of those 2. But I won't disagree, as I think Shrek is awful.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Oh, I get it. I just felt there was an unusually high amount of snark and vitriol in the "discussion" regarding these changes. I understand people being upset when something they enjoy is going away (and people they know personally will be out of work) but the amount of insulting directed towards people who disagreed with the groupthink was unsettling.

Not sure if that fits under the snark, vitriol or victim banner.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
how do you know they're being forced out?
Because he verified cuts to the EP Entertainment budget; there are fewer acts coming in to replace those lost since the beginning of the year; and the new acts have been confirmed to be third-party entities, which also saves the company money....

doctornick

Is the belly dancer in Morocco going too then?

Haven't eaten there in a while, but is there still a belly dancer entertaining at Restaurant Marrakesh during dinner?

Regardless, there will be a Berber band replacing Mo'Rockin' so it's conceivable they could have a belly dancer as part of that act. From a quick and surely oh so accurate google search, it appears that a version of belly dancing is part of Berber performing arts.

squidward

I just read that Donald Duck has been let go as of next month. But the remaining big 4 will still be there so no complaining. No big loss. He's been there for 43 years. He was getting stale.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom