Why the DHS hate?

spacemt354

Chili's
And how can you not consider the teacups and dumbo as carnival rides when EVERY major carnival system features these very same rides without the extra themeing?

Well a lot of carnivals have wooden roller coasters too, so I guess all wooden coasters everywhere should be addressed as carnival systems? The complexity or design of the ride is not the point. The Magic Kingdom is not a carnival, it's a theme park, so themeing does play a big role in the attractions. I don't really care if Dumbo uses a simplistic design. it's the enjoyment it brings to kids and kids at heart that make it a classic, and that is really all that matters to me.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Well a lot of carnivals have wooden roller coasters too, so I guess all wooden coasters everywhere should addressed as a carnival systems? The complexity or design the ride is not the point. The Magic Kingdom is not a carnival, it's a theme park, so themeing does play a big role in the attractions. I don't really care if Dumbo uses a simplistic design. it's the enjoyment it brings to kids and kids at heart that make it a classic, and that is really all that matters to me.
I've never seen a carnival that had a wooden roller coaster...now a steel wild mouse type coaster yes.

spacemt354

Chili's
I've never seen a carnival that had a wooden roller coaster...now a steel wild mouse type coaster yes.

Then we must have two different definitions of carnivals. I always thought of coney island and the cyclone, as well as other boardwalk stops along shorelines to be considered carnivals. But the point I was trying to make was that a lot of parks, carnival, amusement, theme, whatever use similar systems for simplistic attractions. There is only one way to make a wooden coaster...with wood. And there is really only one way to make a dumbo spinner, using a spinner system that has been applied to many places around the world. Dumbo is popular because of the themeing, not because of the ride system, and that is what separates it apart from other spinners used in parks across the globe.

and what's the idea of a park that focuses on all ages if you don't allow for a park meant to appeal to teens most of all have rides that will appeal to teens?

I would say that DHS has an equal amount of "teen" rides as the other parks. Heck, I would even say the top four rides in the park are teen friendly - ToT, RRC, TSMM and Star Tours are all as thrilling and/or fun for teens as anything at the Magic Kingdom and more so than anything at AK or Epcot. That's why I think they would be better served to put in something that is family-centric - a family style coaster or dark ride or something. At the present time I really don't think they need another thrill ride - maybe in the future because I am all for them keeping that park more thrilling than the others.

unkadug

Then we must have two different definitions of carnivals. I always thought of coney island and the cyclone, as well as other boardwalk stops along shorelines to be considered carnivals. But the point I was trying to make was that a lot of parks, carnival, amusement, theme, whatever use similar systems for simplistic attractions. There is only one way to make a wooden coaster...with wood. And there is really only one way to make a dumbo spinner, using a spinner system that has been applied to many places around the world. Dumbo is popular because of the themeing, not because of the ride system, and that is what separates it apart from other spinners used in parks across the globe.
Just for clarity's sake...I was referring to traveling carnivals like at your local state fair.
wave.gif

olinecoach61

I don't hate DHS, but it is the least impressive of the parks in my opinion. It seems to lack a soul. It has a couple of fun rides, toy story, Aerosmith, tower of terror, muppets, but so do a lot of theme parks. We always go, but never more than once per trip.

lazyboy97o

According to The Animated Man, I think it may have even been a quote, Walt Disney stated that it was his opinion that children under the age of seven or eight do NOT belong in a movie theater.

My goodness, such a heated discussion!:eek:
I guess if you want history, then expose the kids to Gettysburg, Williamsburg, Jamestown, St. Mary's City, Md, Baltimore's Inner Harbor/Ft Mchenry, Washington DC Arlington Cemetery/ WWII Memorial/MLK Memorial....
The list goes on...
While I am grateful to Disney for educational opportunities ( otherwise kids would have no purpose to go to WDW during school time);) , WDW is a place for children and parents to have FUN together! That said, DHS could use something extra/different/better- just SOMETHING other than what it has already! I am not saying to do away w/ GMR - my guys like it, but DHS just needs something else to it for its overall appeal IMHO.
I guess I just do not understand why so many Disney fans think the two need to be mutually exclusive. Museums and educational experiences are a part of the themed entertainment industry, counted right along side places like the Disney parks.

Yodadudeman

Honestly I don't see the big problem with the park. It has some really entertaining sections(Sunset Blvd.) and some "can't-miss" rides. Is there room for improvement? Yes. But that is the case with every park. No hate for DHS here.

Minnie1976

The reasons:
Studio Backlot Tour - This is actually less of an attraction over the years. "Nothing to see here folks, keep moving"
Indiana Jones - The show HAS NOT CHANGED since it opened in the late 80's.
Sounds Dangerous - waste of space, Even Disney has given up on this attraction.
Great Movie Ride - It's not timeless, needs to be upgraded. (My kids never heard of some of the movies)
Little Mermaid - Not even worth waiting for the next show to cool off in the AC.
Playhouse Disney - Young kids may enjoy it, If they had seats I might enjoy it as well.
American Idol - Waste of time to preform, should have only lasted a season or two.
Lights, Motors, Action! - Still OK but a few more visits and I'm putting this in the Indiana Jones category. (Maybe if they add Lighting McQueen & Tow Mater from cars it could get a few more years.)
I have to agree with everything but the Great Movie Ride. I guess in that way I maybe showing my age, but I like it. I especially enjoy waiting to get on the attraction hoping to see John Wayne in The Seachers on that big screen. I recognize all the characters and what they represent in the movies. Someone further along mention the western scene. That is John Wayne and he is an icon in American Western movies. I can't tell you the movie but I've heard the words he speaks before. James Cagney could be a gangster or song and dance man. He could act any type movie. I especially love the end with all the movie clips and the music.

We've done the shows and don't want to redo.

I don't like the HAT. It gets in the way of the view which would be MGM's main street down to the Great Movie Ride.

ZaneB

Original Poster
OK whose fault is that?

Just because you haven't exposed your kids to some of the classics doesn't diminish their importance in the history of film-making.

I guess some people would rather the attraction feature the ilk of Sasha Baron Cohen and Jackass since that is the extent of a lot of the guests knowledge of fine cinema.

I think a great movie ride upgrade is necessary because I feel Disney are just assuming everyone knows these movies. It is very difficult to get little kids to watch classic movies. I think they should change it to the "The Great Muppet Movie Ride" one of the original attraction plans, but alter it to include popular but great movies from recent time (Titanic, Avengers, Pirates of the Carribean, Lion King etc.)

Beholder

I love certain aspects of DHS (MGM!), but there are problems. I think part of what I find "off" about the park is lack of consistency. I think ToT has some of the best theme/detail of any attraction, anywhere. Then other places are kind of barren, such as the Backlot, or just out of place like Sounds Dangerous. ToT sets a tone in attraction quality that I wish was replicated throughout.

Park layout is haphazard to say the least, especially when compared to the other parks.

The Hat.

As far as the GMR, I think it sets the tone for the entire park. At it's essense, It should be from what the rest of the park gets it's cue from. Sets the table, sort of speak. Build another, up to date attraction, change a few scenes to keep it fresh, but by and large, leave it as is.

Create movie specific merchandise. Props, replicas, clothing, posters, things that are unique to DHS.

Just my opinion. I love DHS, but those are things I have issues with.

unkadug

I think a great movie ride upgrade is necessary because I feel Disney are just assuming everyone knows these movies. It is very difficult to get little kids to watch classic movies. I think they should change it to the "The Great Muppet Movie Ride" one of the original attraction plans, but alter it to include popular but great movies from recent time (Titanic, Avengers, Pirates of the Carribean, Lion King etc.)
You are probably right.

There are so many alternatives now as opposed to several years ago when watching reruns and old classics on the major 3 networks were the only alternative besides renting movies.

I grew up watching Tarzan movies in the afternoon after school. That, and reruns of I Love Lucy were a staple of afternoon entertainment.

There are so many different alternatives now, which is great, but to include current fare is to a disservice to the movie industry and to the theme park industry.

When you start to cater to the lowest common denominator you are no longer entertaining, as this is something that they can get at home.

edit: I'm wavering on giving you a like on your post...It's well thought out, but flawed because of the conditioning...
wave.gif

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
I dont hate it, just find it has too few attractions, the worst selection of eateries in WDW, has too many limited repeat visit rides, and it purports to be something its not.
easily the park that needs major investment ASAP

unkadug

I dont hate it, just find it has too few attractions, the worst selection of eateries in WDW, has too many limited repeat visit rides, and it purports to be something its not.
easily the park that needs major investment ASAP
Easily the best argument against the park; it should never have been built and advertised as a working studio.

It should have been built as a tribute to the movie industry, but the rush to open before Universal blindsided them and they ended up with a non-working studio and half a park.

ellie-badge

It's not that I hate DHS (I love it, and it used to be my favorite park!), it's just that it's a mere shadow of its former self in its current state. It used to pride itself on being an actual working studio, but now that nothing is filmed or animated there anymore, they've tried to fill the gap with cheap and sort of tacky attractions (The Backlot Tour is a total eyesore, and The Art of Animation makes me sad to look at nowadays).

Yes, Toy Story Mania is a great addition, as is Star Tours 2.0, but they could do so much more. I really wish they would demolish The Backlot Tour and expand Pixar Place with the rumored Monsters, Inc. coaster and Radiator Springs Racers. That would be really cool.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom