Why the DHS hate?

ZaneB

Original Poster
Ok, I'm probably going to sound really stupid to a lot of you right now, but I am new to this forum and I am just wondering, why does everyone think DHS is so bad?!? Since I first went to DisneyWorld I have loved DHS and thought it was the second best park at WDW (behind Epcot). On my most recent trip it was the highlight! I feel it has a nice mix of thrill and shows and great theming.

So I want to know, if you think DHS needs fixing, why? If you had control of a DCA size refurb for DHS, what would you add, change or take away?

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
If I was in charge of DHS and had the funding to do it, I would do a Pixar Land type expansion and get that stuff out of the other parks. DHS would be were you would go to find your Pixar favorites. In conjunction with this, I would also have a Marvel land that focused on some of the non Uni protected properties.

ZaneB

Original Poster
If I was in charge of DHS and had the funding to do it, I would do a Pixar Land type expansion and get that stuff out of the other parks. DHS would be were you would go to find your Pixar favorites.

I was told by a CM that the Pixar area at DHS will be getting a large expansion. And the marvel idea is great!

menamechris

DHS lacks identity. And its layout is rather haphazard - just kind of patched together. There is no real flow. Not to mention the lack of repeatability. Once you have seen most of the shows a couple times, you really don't need to see them again unless you just absolutely love them. Nothing is ever changed about them...

copcarguyp71

What is this DHS you speak of? I will only ever know MGM!

Seriously though I do not HATE the park but as another post stated it seems thrown together. It has poor flow, congested walking areas toward the back and seriously unused space. Prince Caspian was a joke...if you saw the movie then the attraction was a total bust and waste of time. TSMM is a great ride but over hyped and was not built to handle any reasonable number of visitors per hour. Backlot tour is (IMO) another waste of space since it is not even a working lot anymore it is like taking a tram ride through a Disney yard sale at this point. Can I mention THE HAT!!!! You know the one that was supposed to be temporary but is now an entrenched fixture in the middle of the park. It just seems like a park that never found its' identity or fulfilled its' purpose (not sure which).

J03Y

speaking as someone who use to also have it be the highlight of my day at the parks, it's really faded away from what it used to be. the biggest highlight of my day there now is always Sunset Boulevard with Tower of Terror, Rockin Roller Coaster and Fantasmic. the rest of the park is just... empty? i'm not sure if that's the right word. in many ways the park is outdated so i don't feel as if it's my park anymore because of my own changes, the hollywood studio aspect isn't even there, everything just feels out of place, especially Streets of America and Echo Lake.

also, the park on whole isn't thrilling, which it should be. it should be the one park that truly competes with Universal Studios, and it's not. it has more shows than it does rides, and even though i would love to see more shows that take you behind the scenes of movie-making like a good Disney park should, i still want it to be the best thrilling competition in the theme park market. and by thrills, i don't mean just expand Pixar Place. that draws in little kids, not the market that the park should be drawing which is teens. yes sure, have some stuff for the little kids like Animation Courtyard and Pixar Place so that they can still get the whole family crowd, but have an area of the park that interests the teenagers and adults, which they don't. they only have a few rides scattered over the place.

it's not that we HATE MGM (i'm sorry, but MGM 5eva), it's that there could be so much done to improve it, but Disney isn't doing anything. which is depressing to see since it's such a good park with an awesome theme.

2bornot2be

The reasons:
Studio Backlot Tour - This is actually less of an attraction over the years. "Nothing to see here folks, keep moving"

Indiana Jones - The show HAS NOT CHANGED since it opened in the late 80's.
Sounds Dangerous - waste of space, Even Disney has given up on this attraction.

Great Movie Ride - It's not timeless, needs to be upgraded. (My kids never heard of some of the movies)
Little Mermaid - Not even worth waiting for the next show to cool off in the AC.

Playhouse Disney - Young kids may enjoy it, If they had seats I might enjoy it as well.
American Idol - Waste of time to preform, should have only lasted a season or two.
Lights, Motors, Action! - Still OK but a few more visits and I'm putting this in the Indiana Jones category. (Maybe if they add Lighting McQueen & Tow Mater from cars it could get a few more years.)

jlevis

I don't hate DHS but it is at the bottom of my like list. As a pp says it lacks flow, continuety. There is nothing that ties the areas together. Sunset Blvd is the only area that has a theme the rest of the park is just thrown together. Now, I kind of like "The Hat". The Backlot tour is dated and Indiana Jones is, well boring. LMA is fun but only the first couple times. Sounds Dangerous - yuck.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
The reasons:
Studio Backlot Tour - This is actually less of an attraction over the years. "Nothing to see here folks, keep moving"
Indiana Jones - The show HAS NOT CHANGED since it opened in the late 80's.
Sounds Dangerous - waste of space, Even Disney has given up on this attraction.
Great Movie Ride - It's not timeless, needs to be upgraded. (My kids never heard of some of the movies)
Little Mermaid - Not even worth waiting for the next show to cool off in the AC.
Playhouse Disney - Young kids may enjoy it, If they had seats I might enjoy it as well.
American Idol - Waste of time to preform, should have only lasted a season or two.
Lights, Motors, Action! - Still OK but a few more visits and I'm putting this in the Indiana Jones category. (Maybe if they add Lighting McQueen & Tow Mater from cars it could get a few more years.)
OK whose fault is that?

Just because you haven't exposed your kids to some of the classics doesn't diminish their importance in the history of film-making.

I guess some people would rather the attraction feature the ilk of Sasha Baron Cohen and Jackass since that is the extent of a lot of the guests knowledge of fine cinema.

J03Y

I don't hate DHS but it is at the bottom of my like list. As a pp says it lake flow, continuety. There is nothing that ties the areas together. Sunset Blvd is the only area that has a theme the rest of the park is just thrown together. Now, I kind of like "The Hat".

yes! finally, someone who likes the Hat!

J03Y

OK whose fault is that?

Just because you haven't exposed your kids to some of the classics doesn't diminish their importance in the history of film-making.

I guess some people would rather the attraction feature the ilk of Sasha Baron Cohen and Jackass since that is the extent of a lot of the guests knowledge of fine cinema.

i don't think downgrading the quality of film in the ride was what he meant ;)

i mean, there are movies in that ride that no one has heard of or even knew were made. what i think it should be is a look back at the old classics and the breakthroughs in film and visual effects and such. yes, this does include movies that aren't exactly close to getting Oscars, but i'm talking breakthroughs in film, which include the stuff that are like Transformers and such (not saying Transformers should go in, keep that in mind).

copcarguyp71

OK whose fault is that?

I am not sure that is what the post meant. I would agree that as far as the ride is concerned movies have not been made since the early eighties. Perhaps bringing several of the scenes more up to date while not losing the timeless contributions of Gene Kelley and the golden age would still pay homage to those who came before while still presenting present day cinema. Our DD loves the old movies too but I think the ride loses kids with the most recent films presented being so old. Also the final video presentation could stand a re-do.

Bob

B00b
Premium Member
It's not that I don't like that park, I just don't get that "Disney magic" feeling inside whenever we walk through the gates to DHS. We're there for 4 hours, have our customary lunch @ the Brown Derby and then it's time to move on to another park.

J03Y

It's not that I don't like that park, I just don't get that "Disney magic" feeling inside whenever we walk through the gates to DHS. We're there for 4 hours, have our customary lunch @ the Brown Derby and then it's time to move on to another park.

YOU SKIP FANTASMIC!? :eek:

2bornot2be

OK whose fault is that?

Just beacuse some people kids never seen Alien, or a "classic" Gangsters movie does not mean they watch "Sasha Baron Cohen and Jackass" My kids have not seen either of these. (honestly I had to search who Sasha Baron Cohen was). Next question what is wrong with updated the movies in the attraction.

Some of the "Classics" could and should remain but others could be replaced.

J03Y

Just beacuse some people kids never seen Alien, or a "classic" Gangsters movie does not mean they watch "Sasha Baron Cohen and Jackass" My kids have not seen either of these. (honestly I had to search who Sasha Baron Cohen was). Next question what is wrong with updated the movies in the attraction.

Some of the "Classics" could and should remain but others could be replaced.

frankly, i was never fond of the scene in 'Aliens', so i wanted them to replace it with Star Wars since it's all spacey.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
i don't think downgrading the quality of film in the ride was what he meant ;)

i mean, there are movies in that ride that no one has heard of or even knew were made. what i think it should be is a look back at the old classics and the breakthroughs in film and visual effects and such. yes, this does include movies that aren't exactly close to getting Oscars, but i'm talking breakthroughs in film, which include the stuff that are like Transformers and such (not saying Transformers should go in, keep that in mind).
Just so that I can better understand what you are saying...could you give me an example of a movie that is represented that nobody ever knew was filmed? How about just one that no one has ever heard of?

J03Y

Guilty as charged....we have never seen Fantasmic. We always end the night at MK or Epcot. I believe that it wasn't even up and running when we were there in Feb.

sdfkjgsaldgksgjfshkdgf Fantasmic is the magical way to end a day at Disney :( usually, i go to one park first and then acfter lunch my family and i go to MGM and do all the Sunset Boulevard stuff and end everything with Fantasmic. oh you should see it at least once! it's beautiful, even more on a perfect weather day!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom