Why no Mickey ride?

Sarabell

As a character is the Mouse still relevant? More of a brand logo than something that captures kids imagination, they seem happier with Pixar creations.

You're kinda right, but one reason could be that when kids turn the disney channel on they don't see the traditional mickey, donald, pluto and goofy cartoons a lot of us used to. That's how our love for the mouse (and the above mentioned characters) began in the first place.

For some reason (probably a good one that I'm just not familiar with) Disney gave more relevance to other characters in terms of movies and tv shows. I miss the old cartoons though. And I sure am going to miss Mickey's house in Toon Town. :cry:

njdan

Yes Mickey did have his own attraction - his house in Toon Town, but that is a ride like Goofy's Barnstormer. Plus Mickey does play a big part in Mickey's Philermagic ever if it is Donald that you see for most of it. But without the Mickey and Donald competition show wouldnt make sense
But my opinion is that the whole park(WDW) is based on him or maybe better yet around him. for ex Mickey is the ringleader of the circus so he doesnt have a specific preformance(ride) but just leads the show.
Hope you all understand what im trying to say

Walt Disney1955

I get what you folks are saying and such but Mickey is front and center a lot of the time. For starters, yes, Toontown is gone in WDW but he and Minnie have a meet and greet let's not forget at the Town Hall.

Not to mention Mickey is the last guy in the Spectromagic parade. Or the fact that the phrase "It all started with a mouse" gets reused.

How about One Man's Dream? There are some Mickey references in there, although it's all about Walt really.

I think if you look closely you see Mickey on every ride - the hidden mickey. Hey, there aren't hidden Donalds (although I still swear that it's either Donald or Mickey's voice in the Haunted Mansion who is trapped in the coffin if you listen ever so closely and go by at the right time). There are what, maybe 500 hidden mickeys on WDW property? Plus he's right at the front of Magic Kingdom in the plants. I dont' know, I guess nobody really forgets about him.

cowanfamily

Mickey was sold to Universal. He now makes appearances as Harry Potter! LOL

Mickey is still the driving force behind all things WDW. The last time I looked everyone wants ice cram shaped like mouse ears. They eat them while wearing their mouse ears. I have yet to here of hidden buzz's or Belle's. Mickey is still the showstopper at WDW!

thelookingglass

The lack of Mickey adds to his mystique. He makes random cameo appearances in attractions. Hidden Mickeys can be found all over the parks. He can only be seen in a meet & greet/parade/night show. I think the lack of a dedicated Mickey attraction is purposely done to make the moments when you do see Mickey that much more special.
This.
I think Mickey is still relevent, us old timers still associate Mickey as the original cartoon character. I like what Pixar does but its not Disney is it?
Disney owns Pixar, so, yes.
Epic Mickey could make a good dark ride
Problem is, the game has only received sub-par reception.

And rightfully so. Impressive story and visuals... but its just not a very fun or interesting video game.

dave&di

This.Disney owns Pixar, so, yes.Problem is, the game has only received sub-par reception.

And rightfully so. Impressive story and visuals... but its just not a very fun or interesting video game.

I know, but I mean Disney in the old fashioned sense, just Disney without Pixar. :hammer:

AswaySuller

The lack of Mickey adds to his mystique. He makes random cameo appearances in attractions. Hidden Mickeys can be found all over the parks. He can only be seen in a meet & greet/parade/night show. I think the lack of a dedicated Mickey attraction is purposely done to make the moments when you do see Mickey that much more special.

I agree, and it works perfectly.
Now you never know where and when Mickey might show and when he does it makes me excited and it's a very special moment.

Imagine if he was represented in a sole attraction... when you've done that you're time with Mickey is done... and imagine if the attraction turned out to be a turd! How disappointed would you be?
I feel like rather than having any stand alone big Mickey guns blazing attraction a little bit of him is in EVERY attraction.

JustInTime

Actually, if they ever get rid of Fantasmic, I think that it could be adapted to a Classic Dark Ride. And I think it would be amazing.

PurpleRose

Forget a ride, I think Epic Mickey would make an awesome land in a park or a land of forgotten characters.

But a ride would be nice too lol Oooo it could be like Buzz or TSMM where you get a paint brush and you get to help mickey and oswald defet the blobs. There would be buttons on the brush, one blue, one green, where you could choose to either befriend the blobs with paint or distroy them with thinner and the AA's that you shoot would do different things depending on which one you choose! This would probably have to go in DHS lol

You have no idea how big of a fan to this concept I am! I'm holding out hope for Epic Mickey 2 based from WDW instead of DL as well

ChrisFL

Premium Member
This.Disney owns Pixar, so, yes.Problem is, the game has only received sub-par reception.

Epic Mickey? Where's the sub-par reception? I've only seen good reviews for it, and I really enjoyed it, playing it through again right now.

thelookingglass

Most gaming magazines have criticized it's clumsy controls and uninteresting, repetitive gameplay. Also the way they reduced the paint/thinner aspect to more of a gimmick than a truly interactive gameplay technique.

Think of the game Portal, if they had made it so the portals only work in one, pre-determined way.

yensid67

We see Mickey in The Great Movie Ride, Fantasmic!, Philharmagic, Muppets etc.

I love being able to meet Mickey, but I am not sure that I would enjoy a ride dedicated to him.

I understand that Mickey IS seen in a few attractions, BUT wouldn't it be AWESOME if there was a devoted dark ride that tells of Mickey's birth and growing up to become the BIG STAR he is today!? I am sure the imagineers are creative enough to come up with a story, that would be fun but yet tell the truth of how Mickey was born on a train coming from New York, and then show his early cartoons up to the recent...The Life and Times of Mickey Mouse!?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom