Why is Big Hero Six not in Epcot???

Otterhead

Well, there's a whole country in the WS that got redone so it could be Frozen....
Well, no, since you "went there"... that's not true at all. They added a Frozen-themed ride to Norway, since Norway inspired Frozen. The rest of the area is still Norway. None of that has changed.

Bacon

I think it would be cool if they set up Innoventions like it was the science fair in the movie with different medical related innovations showcased like prosthetics, or laser surgery, etc. As to being a "vehicle for brands," well that is exactly what EPCOT was when it started. Every single ride, exhibit and pavilion was sponsored by a major brand. Most still are but it is not as front and center as it used to be.
Oh God I wish. One side could be that. the other could be used as Starbucks/ClubCool Expansion (didn't hear this just fun imagining)

I am watching Big Hero Six again with my daughter and for the life of me, I cannot understand why this movie is not represented in Epcot. If you have not seen it, the film focuses on innovation, robotics, healthcare, and emerging technologies. It could totally take over innovations with robotic exhibits and a thrill ride of some kind. It also did $600 million at the box office. Thoughts? Should this be at Epcot with a focus on robotics and innovation?
Epcot focuses on the future, not really on characters.

Cmdr_Crimson

Epcot focuses on the future, not really on characters.

Yeah...Don't tell that to all of these characters that supported almost 26 of the 35 years they were around..
epcotcharacters_zpsbd2xhont.jpg

Gelatoni

Run! The anti ipers found this thread. I enjoy the new stuff. Frozen ever after is better imo l didn't find an ad for norways oil and cruise lines that great. I think bh6 could host a new uoe ride easily.

Jedi Stitch

You Are aware that Baymax is doing Meet & Greets......IN Epcot....Right?
epcot-character-spot-baymax-1.jpg

Character-Spot_Full_26237.jpg
We just happened onto this M&G, and the line was short. I hope WDW isn't testing the waters going well, this isn't hot. It is in the character M&G area, but off to the side of the big four M&G. If they went full tilt with an attraction with the M&G people love new stuff.

Chef Mickey

I'd be on the side of saying EPCOT should be the one park with minimal movie/character references because of its supposed theme of real life learning and vision of tomorrow.

EPCOT used to be about looking back at history to understand where we have been and where we are going. We see the future of technology, communication, energy, civilization, and a celebrate nations across the world. It's already been watered down...I don't think it needs more movies and characters. I know that's what sells, but you get a worse product.

You think you got the best replacement possible for Maelstrom? The ride is pretty meh, but since it has Elsa and Olaf, it's a hit. Take them away and it's a few animatronics and mostly projections and blank unthemed space teaching you nothing about Norway.

Bender123

I'd be on the side of saying EPCOT should be the one park with minimal movie/character references because of its supposed theme of real life learning and vision of tomorrow.

EPCOT used to be about looking back at history to understand where we have been and where we are going. We see the future of technology, communication, energy, civilization, and a celebrate nations across the world. It's already been watered down...I don't think it needs more movies and characters. I know that's what sells, but you get a worse product.

You think you got the best replacement possible for Maelstrom? The ride is pretty meh, but since it has Elsa and Olaf, it's a hit. Take them away and it's a few animatronics and mostly projections and blank unthemed space teaching you nothing about Norway.

So basically Maelstrom? I know its unpopular, but Maelstrom was not some untouchable triumph of ride tech. It had a few crappy polar bear animatronics that looked like they had arthritis, some Christmas lights over your head for magic and a north sea oil platform that looked hilariously small and out of scale. Im not a fan of Frozen, at all, but to say this is a downgrade is looking through the rosiest of glasses. Maelstrom was a fun ride, but it was also had the worst AA and cheapest feel outside of Journey Into Your Imagination (sans figment).

I will admit, I really miss Odin telling me that I am not the first to pass this way, though.

Chef Mickey

So basically Maelstrom? I know its unpopular, but Maelstrom was not some untouchable triumph of ride tech. It had a few crappy polar bear animatronics that looked like they had arthritis, some Christmas lights over your head for magic and a north sea oil platform that looked hilariously small and out of scale. Im not a fan of Frozen, at all, but to say this is a downgrade is looking through the rosiest of glasses. Maelstrom was a fun ride, but it was also had the worst AA and cheapest feel outside of Journey Into Your Imagination (sans figment).

I will admit, I really miss Odin telling me that I am not the first to pass this way, though.
I see where you are coming from, but I respectfully disagree. It wasn't the ride tech of Maelstrom that made it a better fit...it's the fact it was at least actually on theme. We can go down the list of joke tech in classic Disney rides: Peter Pan, Small World, Haunted Mansion, Pirates. That's not my point. Maelstrom was a good fit in Norway. Once Disney chose to change it, they HAD to do a better job than what Maelstrom was before they changed it. To me, they were completely lazy and cheap in their execution of the final product, making it a significant downgrade in my view.

There is so much unthemed space in Frozen, it's almost laughable it passed management approval. To me, you have to do better when you change something to justify the change, particularly because it's only loosely even Norway related and offers 0 in terms of enhancing a Norway experience. It's a MK ride at EPCOT in its current form.

Bender123

I see where you are coming from, but I respectfully disagree. It wasn't the ride tech of Maelstrom that made it a better fit...it's the fact it was at least actually on theme. We can go down the list of joke tech in classic Disney rides: Peter Pan, Small World, Haunted Mansion, Pirates. That's not my point. Maelstrom was a good fit in Norway. Once Disney chose to change it, they HAD to do a better job than what Maelstrom was before they changed it. To me, they were completely lazy and cheap in their execution of the final product, making it a significant downgrade in my view.

There is so much unthemed space in Frozen, it's almost laughable it passed management approval. To me, you have to do better when you change something to justify the change, particularly because it's only loosely even Norway related and offers 0 in terms of enhancing a Norway experience. It's a MK ride at EPCOT in its current form.

I agree, to a point, but Maelstrom really wasn't any different AND had very low ridership. Frozen may not be "Norway", but it sure as heckfire gets people into the Norway pavilion and at least is based on the general culture of the region.

I get the idea that we don't like IP at Epcot, but that's in the minority of people that spend time at Epcot. As I stated, I wish Frozen would fall off a cliff and burn, but you cant deny the ride has been a success at every level over Maelstrom in what it sets out to do, which is satisfy the park guest and generate traffic for the attraction sponsor. The run of the mill guest (Read: not people that spend time on this board) go to Disney resorts and parks to see things they know from the movies they have seen. We tend to forget that the halcyon days of Epcot, by my own judgment and of those on this board, were also the days EPCOT was having poor attendance and basically the butt of jokes about it being the "boring park". The Simpsons even ran straight at it...

Attachments

• Efcot_Center.png
    Efcot_Center.png
    97.5 KB · Views: 32

Chef Mickey

I agree, to a point, but Maelstrom really wasn't any different AND had very low ridership. Frozen may not be "Norway", but it sure as heckfire gets people into the Norway pavilion and at least is based on the general culture of the region.

I get the idea that we don't like IP at Epcot, but that's in the minority of people that spend time at Epcot. As I stated, I wish Frozen would fall off a cliff and burn, but you cant deny the ride has been a success at every level over Maelstrom in what it sets out to do, which is satisfy the park guest and generate traffic for the attraction sponsor. The run of the mill guest (Read: not people that spend time on this board) go to Disney resorts and parks to see things they know from the movies they have seen. We tend to forget that the halcyon days of Epcot, by my own judgment and of those on this board, were also the days EPCOT was having poor attendance and basically the butt of jokes about it being the "boring park". The Simpsons even ran straight at it...
Agreed on the average guest, but I'd argue people don't know what they want until you show them. You have to do a good job of course, but the IP in EPCOT is an excuse for not spending money, time, and talent building something awesome from scratch. I get that Frozen is successful and it was a semi natural fit, but they didn't do a good job building it and the movie will eventually lose its luster too. Many people are already sick of it.

The argument that frozen is successful and got people back to Norway isn't wrong, but it wasn't the right way to make people come back and doesn't mean it belongs there. You could put Splash Mountain in Norway and people would come in droves to ride it.

EPCOT is the 6th most visited park in the world, so the Simpsons isn't always the best source for the truth.

For me, it's clear Frozen was a cheap, lazy way to get people back to Norway and it worked. They knew it would. I knew it would. However, Frozen should have gone to MK and they should have re-worked each country at EPCOT to revive World Showcase. Norway is certainly not the only country in need. All of them besides maybe America need significant updating.

Bender123

Agreed on the average guest, but I'd argue people don't know what they want until you show them. You have to do a good job of course, but the IP in EPCOT is an excuse for not spending money, time, and talent building something awesome from scratch. I get that Frozen is successful and it was a semi natural fit, but they didn't do a good job building it and the movie will eventually lose its luster too. Many people are already sick of it.

The argument that frozen is successful and got people back to Norway isn't wrong, but it wasn't the right way to make people come back and doesn't mean it belongs there. You could put Splash Mountain in Norway and people would come in droves to ride it.

EPCOT is the 6th most visited park in the world, so the Simpsons isn't always the best source for the truth.

For me, it's clear Frozen was a cheap, lazy way to get people back to Norway and it worked. They knew it would. I knew it would. However, Frozen should have gone to MK and they should have re-worked each country at EPCOT to revive World Showcase. Norway is certainly not the only country in need. All of them besides maybe America need significant updating.

World Showcase...where Phase 2 is only 38 years behind schedule...Im still waiting on my Rhine River ride, Mt Fuji, Brazil and Spain. I do think Rat will be a great addition. WS needs something...anything...to make it more than a high cost restaurant district.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom