Why does Disney hate foreigners?

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
Original Poster
In the Parks
No
OK, "hate" may be a strong word, but it drives me crazy that they do things so differently "domestically" than they do "out of country". For example:

• Shipping charges for any purchases from the Disney Store to within the US are fairly reasonable and often offered for free as a promotion. The same purchase being shipped to Canada or overseas they regularly charge more than half the value of goods purchased, sometimes actually more than doubling the cost when you factor in brokerage fees and duty and never offer promotions.
  • Certain items in the Disney Store simply can't be purchased if you don't live in the US.
  • Annual Passholders in the US get the Mickey Monitor, free swag [the AP WDW car magnet], and lots of emailed info. Live outside the US? Nothing.
  • Magic Bands and the Mickey Head USB stick are routinely shipped to US resident Resort Guests. Foreigners have to pick their MBs up on arrival and don' get the USB stick at all. Even the AP Magic Bands aren't being shipped [for my stay in August, I'm expecting two sets of Magic Bands for both myself and my son, our resort stay set and our AP set].
It seems strange that they treat guests so very much differently. It really would cost significantly less to mail things to other countries when there's time rather than everything going by courier companies [I'm getting F&W event tickets delivered by Fedex tomorrow that could easily have been sent snail mail]. So where it would make sense to save on costs, they don't, but where a relatively small cost could satisfy so many more guests, they skimp.

I don't feel that I'm owed anything from Disney, I'll be going for years to come. But it's frustrating when I'm investing lots of money in the trips when I'm there and even more to fly to WDW and back [six times this year alone] and they send lots of cool stuff to all the friends I make while I'm there and nothing to me.

Redsky89

I work for FedEx so I can tell you as far as shipping outside the country goes for any of these things its never cheap. If they don't offer it or the charges seem high then its either they arent trying to spend the money or its just the simple fact it will cost you a lot to have a gift sent overseas.

Nemo14

5702202866_3e17e3329c_z.jpg

;)

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
Original Poster
In the Parks
No
I work for FedEx so I can tell you as far as shipping outside the country goes for any of these things its never cheap. If they don't offer it or the charges seem high then its either they arent trying to spend the money or its just the simple fact it will cost you a lot to have a gift sent overseas.
They've finally started shipping DME packages by snail mail. Nothing against your employer, if something needs to get somewhere quickly they're the way to go. What I'm suggesting is they don't need to ship most of what they use couriers for by courier when there's time to ship by slower means. Then they could use the savings to ship stuff to people who don't get the "extras" that they routinely ship domestically.

I order F&W seminars for October, they're arriving by OVERNIGHT International Fedex Express tomorrow morning. That's ridiculous. But I don't get a Car Magnet as an AP holder because I live in Canada?

Redsky89

They've finally started shipping DME packages by snail mail. Nothing against your employer, if something needs to get somewhere quickly they're the way to go. What I'm suggesting is they don't need to ship most of what they use couriers for by courier when there's time to ship by slower means. Then they could use the savings to ship stuff to people who don't get the "extras" that they routinely ship domestically.

I order F&W seminars for October, they're arriving by OVERNIGHT International Fedex Express tomorrow morning. That's ridiculous. But I don't get a Car Magnet as an AP holder because I live in Canada?
I understand what you are saying. I'm a annual pass holder who lives here in the US and the thing is that the bands and extra stuff are sent to my home free of charge. So they are already spending X amount on shipping domestically. If they were to tack on international shipping that the customer isnt paying for then its still more money lost on Disney. Just a thought. I can see how it could be a annoyance though when we here in the US get certain services others arent.

BigTxEars

Cause your super heroes are lame!

mv6ofd.jpg

And ours are awesome

rcpxxf.gif

Well that and the cost of shipping I guess. I would guess they draw the lines at our borders to be fair. If they shipped all that swag and stuff to Canada they would have to ship it everywhere else for free as well internationally. Now if I were Mickey I would make a exception for our northren border friends, and maybe our friends in the U.K. as well.

But the rest of you are paying! :D

lazyboy97o

It may be geographically stupid, but I think it really does have to do with shipping rates. Even via USPS a postcard to Canada would cost $1.15 but would only be 34¢ for somewhere in the US, even if that destination is further than the destination in Canada. That's a huge jump and it's only a postcard.

DManRightHere

OK, "hate" may be a strong word, but it drives me crazy that they do things so differently "domestically" than they do "out of country". For example:

• Shipping charges for any purchases from the Disney Store to within the US are fairly reasonable and often offered for free as a promotion. The same purchase being shipped to Canada or overseas they regularly charge more than half the value of goods purchased, sometimes actually more than doubling the cost when you factor in brokerage fees and duty and never offer promotions.
  • Certain items in the Disney Store simply can't be purchased if you don't live in the US.
  • Annual Passholders in the US get the Mickey Monitor, free swag [the AP WDW car magnet], and lots of emailed info. Live outside the US? Nothing.
  • Magic Bands and the Mickey Head USB stick are routinely shipped to US resident Resort Guests. Foreigners have to pick their MBs up on arrival and don' get the USB stick at all. Even the AP Magic Bands aren't being shipped [for my stay in August, I'm expecting two sets of Magic Bands for both myself and my son, our resort stay set and our AP set].
It seems strange that they treat guests so very much differently. It really would cost significantly less to mail things to other countries when there's time rather than everything going by courier companies [I'm getting F&W event tickets delivered by Fedex tomorrow that could easily have been sent snail mail]. So where it would make sense to save on costs, they don't, but where a relatively small cost could satisfy so many more guests, they skimp.

I don't feel that I'm owed anything from Disney, I'll be going for years to come. But it's frustrating when I'm investing lots of money in the trips when I'm there and even more to fly to WDW and back [six times this year alone] and they send lots of cool stuff to all the friends I make while I'm there and nothing to me.

All of your issues have to do with shipping something. It's expensive tp ship out of the US. Yes, USPS is cheaper, but I've had several occasions something had been tampered with, massively delayed, or just plain lost. Plus you have no tracking information.

The only one I can partially agree on is shipping merchandise home, it should be the actual cost.

I've never seen a shipping promotion for the US.

Jo DeVil

I am a DVC and a AP holder from the UK and I am a bit fed up of missing out on extra's. Last year I was charged postage on AP vouchers and got no goodies! I wish Disney would give me the option, I would be happy to pay postage on somethings.

copcarguyp71

Disney does not hate foreigners...they just love money waayyyyyyy more than they do you!

Juggle_cheap_cs_20080625172105.jpg

Ironically when the money is yours they desperately want it and for some reason we have no problem forking it over and making sacrifices in our own personal lives to be able to afford it but when it comes to reciprocation that money they feel comes to you so easily magically becomes more difficult to part with....funny how that equation works.

BrianV

I always thought two things were strange: 1. people in the UK can buy tickets that you CANNOT buy in the us--proof that disney prefers foreigners to good old Americans. 2. Annual passes for Floridians are cheaper than for residents of the other 49 states--proof that disney hates Americans (not living in Florida).

(In honesty, I understand that these are just marketing plans that they've come up with and their love or hate of foreigners or Americans doesn't come into play...)

copcarguyp71

I have always theorized but never really known for sure...does anyone know exactly how attractive incentives or discounts are for Latin America? Sorry to get off topic.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
While I am sure shipping costs are a factor in the equation, I would have to think that there are probably some bizarre and stupid legal reasons as well. It always seems like every country has their own unique laws that seem to make global commerce an unnecessary pain.

For instance, a skill test is required to win a contest in Canada. For yogurt to be labeled "Greek Yogurt" in England, it must actually be made in Greece and there are a crap ton of media distribution laws that prevent a show in one country from being broadcast in another.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
It may be geographically stupid, but I think it really does have to do with shipping rates. Even via USPS a postcard to Canada would cost $1.15 but would only be 34¢ for somewhere in the US, even if that destination is further than the destination in Canada. That's a huge jump and it's only a postcard.
You're right, of course. But to that I say...

So?

An AP costs over $600. They can't take, let's say $10 of that, and ship some swag up to the great white north?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom